Your Book Activity - November 2016

Kylie

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was enjoying Leave Me by Gayle Foreman, but I found out my dog- soul mate- has cancer and I've been too upset to continue. It's been quite the week.

Oh no, so sorry to hear that. :empathy: My lab has just had a lump removed, which thankfully turned out to be harmless, so I can understand the worry and stress. What is the prognosis.....are there treatment options available?

In book news, I am two thirds through The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes. Then it's back to David Copperfield.

Talking of halfway, that's just about where I am currently with Middlesex.  I am LOVING this book.  The characters are so well drawn, and the story is so intricate.  Don't quote me on this, but I think it could be a 5-star read for me, and there haven't been many of those this year!

Hurrah!! :exc: It's a great novel! :smile2: 

I was enjoying Leave Me by Gayle Foreman, but I found out my dog- soul mate- has cancer and I've been too upset to continue. It's been quite the week.

I'm so sorry to hear about this! :(  :empathy:  :empathy:   I hope your dog will kick big C's ass and survive!  :empathy:

Oh no, so sorry to hear that. :empathy: My lab has just had a lump removed, which thankfully turned out to be harmless, so I can understand the worry and stress. 

Oh bless Reuben, thank god he's okay! Give him a big cuddle for me, would you? :smile2: 

Back to book business: just finished The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen. I'm tempted to start the next book in the series, but I'm also tempted to read something else. 

So sorry to hear that Anna, there is so much more that can be done for dogs these days so I wish you both every success in fighting it.

Thank you everyone, I didn't mean to take up the reading thread. Prognosis is not good, he is 12 and not much can be done. They gave him a week on Monday, but he's still with us. We're hoping he'll be with us for some Thanksgiving dinner :)

Oh no, so sorry to hear that. :empathy: My lab has just had a lump removed, which thankfully turned out to be harmless, so I can understand the worry and stress. What is the prognosis.....are there treatment options available?

In book news, I am two thirds through The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes. Then it's back to David Copperfield.

I'm so glad everything turned out alright- what a relief! They give us so much and just want love.

Thank you everyone, I didn't mean to take up the reading thread. Prognosis is not good, he is 12 and not much can be done. They gave him a week on Monday, but he's still with us. We're hoping he'll be with us for some Thanksgiving dinner :)

When is Thanksgiving Anna? I hope he makes it, they often surprise us x

After a long haul of almost three weeks, finished Dracula today. It's a better read than that might sound, even if the dialogue tends to the over-blown, but it's been a tough few weeks work-wise. Only being able to read it in short spurts hasn't helped - I read the last fifty or so pages in one go this morning, and the story flowed so much better as a result, helped by a solidly climactic ending.

This is one of the North Yorkshire options for the English Counties Challenge. I have to say that if I was choosing again, I'd go for the other choice, All Creatures Great and Small, not because it's a better book (I actually think I enjoyed Dracula more of the two, if marginally), but because the role of North Yorkshire, through the use of Whitby for the setting of Dracula's arrival in England, is fairly trivial to the book: it's well known, and briefly of the place, but it's a relatively minor setting, and Stoker could have pretty much used anywhere on the coast. Aside from perhaps The Day of the Triffids, for me this has been the most 'unrepresentative' book for a county so far (and whilst the Isle of Wight barely appears in TDOTT, it does have an important role as an island and goal). 

Edited by willoyd

I am sorry to say that I have finished House of Dreams by Fanny Blake, I so enjoyed reading this book about a family coming together when their mother dies to sell the family holiday property.  I think there was enough questions left to answer and so hope that she writes a follow on to this book.

Read a couple of book shots by James Patterson this weekend.  The Trial which is one of the Womens Murder Club series and the Chase which is from the Michael Bennett  series.

Now started on Iris Grace a seriously autistic girl and her cat called Thula.

I have just finished Watership Down for Hampshire. A slow start but after that, thoroughly enjoyable. Good four star read, which I was not expecting after 50 pages!

I'm not sure what to read for Isle of Wight yet, but I also read Dracula for Notth Yorkshire. I didn't particularly enjoy it as well as finding it not particularly linked to the county. However, before reading it I would have said the only thing I knew about it was that Whitby was important! So can see why we chose it.

Oh bless Reuben, thank god he's okay! Give him a big cuddle for me, would you? :smile2:

I just gave him a cuddle. He loved it. :D He was supposed to have his stitches out today, but because he was too wiggly and they are in an awkward place the vet has suggested leaving them to dissolve. :o  If I'm brave, I may try to take them out later, as I don't like the thought of them still in there. :hide:

Prognosis is not good, he is 12 and not much can be done. They gave him a week on Monday, but he's still with us. We're hoping he'll be with us for some Thanksgiving dinner :)

Oh no, so sorry there isn't much that can be done. :empathy:

I'm so glad everything turned out alright- what a relief! They give us so much and just want love.

Thanks - yes, it was a huge relief. :smile: They are such heartbreakers, and even though it's so painful at the end, the time with them is so worth it.

I have just finished Watership Down for Hampshire. A slow start but after that, thoroughly enjoyable. Good four star read, which I was not expecting after 50 pages!

This is on my re-read list. It's been a while since I read it but I recall enjoying it. Glad you liked it.

Having read and thoroughly enjoyed The Rook by Daniel O'Malley, I have moved on to Stiletto by the same author. So far, so readable. :smile:  

I wasn't keen on The Rook unfortunately. Glad you enjoyed it though.

I'm now reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Accoording to Amazon, I bought it on Christmas Day in 2012. :thud: I haven't read any of his books before, but have heard they aren't that easy to digest. This one seems ok so far, but I'm only 4% in.

I'm not sure what to read for Isle of Wight yet, but I also read Dracula for Notth Yorkshire. I didn't particularly enjoy it as well as finding it not particularly linked to the county. However, before reading it I would have said the only thing I knew about it was that Whitby was important! So can see why we chose it.

Day of the Triffids may only have a fairly tenous link to Isle of Wight, but I found it a really good book and was glad to have read it - and there's not much else that gets highly rated.  Possibly Graham Swift's Wish You Were Here ?

Anna, so sorry to hear about your pup. Ours got cancer (well, a second kind, after a benign first kind) last year, which saw her to her end. First dog I've ever had to say goodbye to. Hope your pup lives as long and as fully as possible in the remaining time.

I finished a book! I actually finished a book! I think the novelty of cross-stitch is finally wearing off - while I still want to do it, I might now balance my time better across reading, too. Gonna start Michelle Paver's Thin Air, next.

I think sometimes I lose the plot, I usually download books from Google playlist and can get free books from there.  I have seen people saying that they can get free books from Kindle, I have tried a couple of times and could not find any but had some free time over the weekend and tried again, not one to give up easily, and wow there are lots of free books. Downloaded quiet a few.  So glad I tried again.

Day of the Triffids may only have a fairly tenous link to Isle of Wight, but I found it a really good book and was glad to have read it - and there's not much else that gets highly rated.  Possibly Graham Swift's Wish You Were Here ?

I think we had two alternatives for Isle of Wight - Wyndham and England England by Julian Barnes. I hadn't decided between the two but your recommendation for the former will likely swing it!

I've only read one book this month - I finished Two On A Tower by Thomas Hardy on Monday, which is the choice for my book group this month, and I've just started Mistletoe and Murder by Robin Stevens now.  Hoping with a week off next week, I actually find some time and energy to read! :D