Your Book Activity - October 2016

Athena

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am making my way through 10 horrible histories

They include The Awful Egyptians, The Groovy Greeks, The Rotten Romans, The Vicious Vikings, The Measly Middle Ages, The Terrible Tudors (my predictions this will be my favourite), The Gorgeous Georgians, The Vile Victorians, The Frightful First World War and The Woeful Second World War.

I could not resist getting them. £12 for these 10 with an RRP of £59!!!!!!!

Are you not enjoying it, Frankie?

Re: Truly Madly Guilty... I was enjoying it, but I'd been reading it for such a long time. (Work has been a distraction, and life in general as well.) I was wanting to finish it... And in the end, I have to say it wasn't as good as her other two novels I've loved, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies. I think TMG lacked a few twists and turns. 

I'm currently reading Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.  It's the first book of his that I've tried.  There's a lot of puff blurb on the back cover.  "America's foremost humorist" -- seriously?  The book has made me chuckle aloud a couple of times, and I'm enjoying his style, but, uh.  

I personally think David Sedaris is boring... I read the book you're reading a few years ago and thought it was very, very bleh. Try Augusten Burroughs instead, if you want to read essays. Much better :smile2: But I'm a fangirl, so I'm biased. 

28% of Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex so far  :smile: . Plus Love Over Scotland (44 Scotland Street #3)

by Alexander McCall Smith, as light reading.

I hope you're still loving Middlesex  :smile2:

I'm currently reading Be Frank with Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson, and I'm really liking the book, but once again I'm not finding enough time to read it. :(

Edited by frankie

I personally think David Sedaris is boring... I read the book you're reading a few years ago and thought it was very, very bleh. Try Augusten Burroughs instead, if you want to read essays. Much better :smile2: But I'm a fangirl,so I'm biased. 

Yes, he's starting to annoy me a little now.  I've almost finished, and will probably plonk a 3 star rating on it.

I've heard of Augusten Burroughs, but haven't read anything of his.  Thanks for the rec!

Marie:  I plan on reading Middlesex next month (unless I change my mind at the last minute)!  I hope you're enjoying it.

I am making my way through 10 horrible histories

They include The Awful Egyptians, The Groovy Greeks, The Rotten Romans, The Vicious Vikings, The Measly Middle Ages, The Terrible Tudors (my predictions this will be my favourite), The Gorgeous Georgians, The Vile Victorians, The Frightful First World War and The Woeful Second World War.

I could not resist getting them. £12 for these 10 with an RRP of £59!!!!!!!

I've read most of those and enjoyed them :). I hope you like them too! What a great deal :).

Re: Truly Madly Guilty... I was enjoying it, but I'd been reading it for such a long time. (Work has been a distraction, and life in general as well.) I was wanting to finish it... And in the end, I have to say it wasn't as good as her other two novels I've loved, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies. I think TMG lacked a few twists and turns.

Shame to hear TMG wasn't as good as the other two novels you loved. But then, I don't own TMG but I do own the other two you mention, so that works out for the best :P.

I'm currently reading a Donald Duck Pocket (for the read-a-thon) and after that will be making a start on some of my read-a-thon library loans (starting with Stilton books).

I've barely read this week, I'm so far behind where I want to be in my reading :( I'm just so distracted by other stuff. My goal this weekend is to finish We Eat Our Own and get at least halfway through another book.

So far this month I've read;

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard. Enjoyed it, but reminded me of the Lunar chronicles too much.

The Perfect Girl - Gilly McMillan. Enjoyed this too but a little predictable.

Carrie - Stephen King. Saw this in the library and fancied it, felt a little underwhelmed

Currently reading The Sister by Louise Jensen which I'm loving.

I am currently reading ~ 'Nightfall' by Jake Halpern & Peter Kujawinski and 'A Head Full of Ghosts' by Paul Tremblay :)

I also took advantage of the 3 books for £10 from amazon and bought ~

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

How Not to Disappear by Clare Furniss

Faceless by Alyssa B Sheinmel

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty 

:readingtwo:

I also took advantage of the 3 books for £10 from amazon and bought ~

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)! I love it when a shop does great deals.

The read-a-thon is over so today I plan on not actually reading much, but instead tally up all the statistics and catch up on blogs and YouTube that I've missed (maybe play a video game or do some colouring too). I have 4 library loans (read-a-thon ones) left to read, I plan to read those this week.

Finished One by Sarah Crossan, written from the perspective of a conjoined twin, a quick read but a powerful one.

Now reading Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo, recommended by Ian. I love how you don't feel you are reading a book aimed at children when you read his books.

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)! I love it when a shop does great deals.

The read-a-thon is over so today I plan on not actually reading much, but instead tally up all the statistics and catch up on blogs and YouTube that I've missed (maybe play a video game or do some colouring too). I have 4 library loans (read-a-thon ones) left to read, I plan to read those this week.

Thanks Athena :)

Nice book haul, Birdsong is particularly spectacular, have you read any Faulks? :)

I haven't read any Faulks chaliepud, I am hoping that 'Birdsong' is a good start. :) 

I hope you enjoy A Head Full of Ghosts. I liked it, but thought Devil's Rock was better.

Thanks Noll, I enjoyed 'Devil's Rock' too, it wasn't what I expected. :)

I am just about to finish Amare: Bloodstreams by J Gaines. I only started it yesterday and have really loved it. I read a lot of fantasy novels and love all the classics but this one is cool because it's set in the modern day in England and it's gritty. I think why I am really enjoying it though is that it's main character is unpredicatable and complex. He is a man who has a mix of emotion and action... you don't get that very often. Will write again when I've finished it off.

I am just about to finish Amare: Bloodstreams by J Gaines. I only started it yesterday and have really loved it. I read a lot of fantasy novels and love all the classics but this one is cool because it's set in the modern day in England and it's gritty. I think why I am really enjoying it though is that it's main character is unpredicatable and complex. He is a man who has a mix of emotion and action... you don't get that very often. Will write again when I've finished it off.

Are you in any way affiliated with this book? It's strange that your first and only post here is to promote a book that has only just been published. The Amazon reviews are highly suspect too.

My cousin recommended it to me and he is the best read person I know in this genre. Yes it's a new realise and it was free so thought it was a good place to start when I've just joined. I just thought this was a place to come and learn about other books and share thoughts on ones we were reading.

Well I am not happy I have not had much time for reading this month.  Been far too busy sorting garages out, fixing things around the house before winter sets in.

Sorry I know we are supposed to be putting books we have read on here.  Just explaining why not read anything.

My cousin recommended it to me and he is the best read person I know in this genre. Yes it's a new realise and it was free so thought it was a good place to start when I've just joined. I just thought this was a place to come and learn about other books and share thoughts on ones we were reading.

It's only that it's very unusual for a new member to start with a post about a brand new book when they make their first post - that's generally promotional so we have to check.  :)  We do indeed like sharing our thoughts on books and I hope you will stick around and continue to post.  :)

~ ~ ~ ~

I started listening to A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark today.   I'm not very far in, but so far, so good.  :)  (I was hoping it might do for City of London in the Counties' Challenge, but it's not in the right area - I wasn't exactly sure where the city boundaries lie.).