Cross trainer at home - good idea or not?

Lumo

I used to ride my bike a lot (to and from work mainly, every day for many years), I really enjoyed this and while I wasn't doing it primarily for exercise, I think the daily amount of exercise was good for me.

Since moving house I no longer bike (just before moving I also fell badly from my bike taking a stupid short cut across a building site, which made me a bit weary about cycling anyway). Since moving I also haven't been feeling so well, sort of slightly unfit and tired a lot. I want to get back into exercising to see if that gets me going, I have tried walking but can't really get into that as a routine, I have never been able to work out at a gym (it just isn't me, plus I don't think there is one around here). About 10 years ago I had an exercise bike at home (borrowed from my parents who weren't using it), while I did use this, I never really liked it that much. It always felt kind of boring compared to cycling along a road. I have seen cross trainers advertised, these look better in terms of whole body movement and look like they could be more engaging than sitting on an exercise bike. Has anyone tried both? Any views on the differences between a cross trainer and an exercise bike? Is there something else I am missing completely?

I can't say anything for types of equipment but I have a friend who uses his exercise bike while watching episodes of Breaking Bad. He doesn't allow himself watch it without being on the bike, and that seems to be pretty good motivation for him to do it and to pass the time with something that distracts him a bit. That might be totally useless information for you but there you go!

I can't say anything for types of equipment but I have a friend who uses his exercise bike while watching episodes of Breaking Bad. He doesn't allow himself watch it without being on the bike, and that seems to be pretty good motivation for him to do it and to pass the time with something that distracts him a bit. That might be totally useless information for you but there you go!

Great solution!  :D

Yeah, I usually watch Seinfeld whilst on the treadmill. 

If you've got the room, Lumo, go for it.  Having something different is also a good solution.

That's what I was thinking of doing, there are a couple of shows I would make myself only watch when on it.

Great solution!  :D

Yeah, I usually watch Seinfeld whilst on the treadmill. 

If you've got the room, Lumo, go for it.  Having something different is also a good solution.

Thanks. I'm looking into them now, just not sure how to judge them. Huge price differences between 100 pounds (cheap end), 300 or so (more main stream) and upto over 1000. The Amazon reviews aren't very helpful, many with high ratings from most people, but every now and then someone says it broke within a few weeks.

Cross trainer at home - good idea or not?

I'd suggest you go with a happy trainer, it will probably make for a more pleasant experience.

Haha indeed - I had a look on google and surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a product called happy trainer.

The high end ones are way more machine than most people need. Unless you are confident you will be a fitness fanatic, I would opt out of that. The cheap ones are only good for very light use from a normal to light-weight person. If you're going to be using it with any regularity, you work hard, or you're average weight or above, opt for the mid-range.