Roald Dahl

Kylie

I remember reading Georges Marvellous Medicine, with my daughter, I was in hysterics it was so funny, certainly one of my favourites. I think Roald Dahl is brilliant, don`t think I`ve read a story of his I didn`t like.

I loved Roald Dahl, especially Matilda and the BFG *grins*

The only exception was The Witches... I was traumatised by a film version of it I saw when I was around 6 years old. *cracks up* I never read the book after that and cant remember the details but I remember perfectly the terror I felt while watching the little boy trying to escape (transformed as a rat I think ??). Thinking of it still makes me shudder :D

The only exception was The Witches... I was traumatised by a film version of it I saw when I was around 6 years old. *cracks up* I never read the book after that and cant remember the details but I remember perfectly the terror I felt while watching the little boy trying to escape (transformed as a rat I think ??). Thinking of it still makes me shudder :D

I hated the movie too. I went to see it with my Mum and brother and Mum had to take me outside because I was so terrified (I was probably about the same age you were) :D I've since watched it in full, though. The part that terrified me was the witches taking off their wigs etc.

There are certain books i imagine reading to my children one day. I feel quite strongly about imparting a love of certain things to my children. I find it's a shame when i see children with curiosity and imagination, use it on some of the tat on the tv/games now. Roald Dahl is definatley one i will be reading to them,often.

There are certain books i imagine reading to my children one day. I feel quite strongly about imparting a love of certain things to my children. I find it's a shame when i see children with curiosity and imagination, use it on some of the tat on the tv/games now. Roald Dahl is definatley one i will be reading to them,often.

Totally agree. I remember my mother reading lots to me when i was young. That must be one of the reasons i love to read now. I remember my mum reading Lion,Witch and the Wardrobe series to me when i was young, i loved it and re read as a teenager. Would really like to read that series to my daughter.

How old is your daughter?...if you don't mind me asking. I don't think i'd have the patience to wait for such a pleasure as reading to my children. I haven't got any children of my own yet. But when i am axpecting my first i think i'll start reading to them even before they enter the world!

Are you talking about the movie version with Anjelica Huston? I love that movie! I always thought it was funny and creepy in a good way. :D

My daughter is 4 and my son is 1. I do read a lot of fairytales and such to her. I dont think she is ready for anything longer just yet . I keep a mental list of other stories i think she will eventually like. Just hope she likes them as much as i did.

I've always thought that he was quite an unusual writer in that he wrote for such a wide range of age groups but I do like some of his material.

I remember thinking that The Jungle Book in print was a much more grown up book that the Disney version we see on screen. I do like both but the film is best enjoyed with a rowdy bunch who are prepared to sing along :roll:

Are you talking about the movie version with Anjelica Huston? I love that movie! I always thought it was funny and creepy in a good way. :roll:

I have no idea what movie it was actually... I've steered clear from The Witches since then *laughs* Maybe I should challenge myself to read the book/ watch the movie now? :blush:

• 3 years later...