Weave's Reads 2016

Weave

I hope you have a wonderful reading year in 2016, Paula! :smile2: You've certainly had a great start to it, what with having read so many books :D I'm personally looking forward to your review on A Man Called Ove   :smile2: I loved it! 

Thanks Frankie, I am a bit behind on my reviews :) will catch up though :)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman ~ Started: 09.02.16 ~ Finished: 15.02.16 

Title of Book: A Man Called Ove 

Author of Book: Fredrik Backman 

Edition: Kindle

ASIN Number: B00IORP664 

Pages: 305

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:

At first sight, Ove is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as Chairman of the Residents' Association.  He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local streets.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible...

Review:

I enjoyed 'A Man Called Ove' from start to finish. Ove is very endearing, yes, he is grumpy, very set in his ways, straight to point and likes things done in a certain way, however, he has a man who has loved, suffered loss, grief and has lost his way a little. 

Ove's story is told in the present and his past which I enjoyed. Ove finds himself opening himself to others, becoming part of a family, his community and enjoying his life. 

Ove made me laugh, cry, he made an impression and I look forward to reading more books by Fredrik Backman.

Good to see you, Paula :).

I read Tuck Everlasting quite a few years ago and enjoyed it as well. I had no idea it was so famous though, and that several people here had read it. It was a great book!

Hi Athena, yeah it has a pretty big following here, I saw the movie first :) It was a lovely story :)

Great reviews! I must read Our Endless Numbered Days at some point soon; I only hear great things about it.

I haven't read any other Emily St. John Mandel aside from Station Eleven which I loved. I do have Last Night In Montreal on my TBR pile though, so I'm eager to find out if it will be as good as Station Eleven. If I enjoy that one as well, then I shall keep an eye out for The Lola Quartet.

Have a great reading year this year. :boogie:

Hi bobblybear :) I think you will enjoy 'Our Endless Numbered Days', its one of these books that stays with you.  I preferred 'Station Eleven' to 'The Lola Quartet', the characters were interesting but I wasn't that bothered what happened to them, as opposed to 'Station Eleven', I wanted to know what happened to the characters.  I also have 'Last Night in Montreal' on my kindle, let me know how you find it :)

I've missed seeing you around the forum Paula. Glad to have you back! I love reading your reviews. :)

Thanks Kylie :)

• 7 months later...

It looks like you've mostly been reading books you enjoyed :). That's nice!

Can I ask what you didn't like about Blood and Chocolate? I read this book when I was a child (in Dutch), and I liked it at the time. I don't remember much from it, though, it's been (I think) over 20 years since I read it.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you've mostly been reading books you enjoyed :). That's nice!

Can I ask what you didn't like about Blood and Chocolate? I read this book when I was a child (in Dutch), and I liked it at the time. I don't remember much from it, though, it's been (I think) over 20 years since I read it.

Hi Athena, how are you? :) I didn't like the ending, the way it all worked, its the pack or nothing :)

Hi Athena, how are you? :) I didn't like the ending, the way it all worked, its the pack or nothing :)

I'm good, thanks :). I hope you are well too?

It's been many years since I read the book, I have to say I don't remember much about it (including the ending). But that's good to know for when I re-read the book (eventually) :).