What Are You Watching Now? - 2016

Athena

Catching up with Wire. I'm now going to watch the final episode of season 3. 

We loved The Wire....I want to re-watch. :)

We are watching Jessica Jones.  Kind of strange, but interesting.  It pulls you in, for sure! :)

Also re-watching some eps of Law & Order: Criminal Intent

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A month into my Star Trek: The Next Generation rewatch and I'm on season five. I'd say I missed out on about a week of watching, between Black Mirror and other distractions. Watching my 5th episode of the day! Back to the reading afterward then though.

I finished Orange Is The New Black a few days ago, and have now started Black Mirror and Stranger Things.

Black Mirror is pretty disturbing but thought provoking. But I am absolutely loving Stranger Things!! :D I look forward to watching more of it today. I think Winona Ryder is great in it.

A month into my Star Trek: The Next Generation rewatch and I'm on season five. I'd say I missed out on about a week of watching, between Black Mirror and other distractions. Watching my 5th episode of the day! Back to the reading afterward then though.

Wow, you're watching TNG much quicker than I'm able to. We're still in the first half of season one. I'm often too tired to watch something for 40 mins, let alone more than one episode. I'm a little bit jaleous :giggle2::blush2:.

I finished Orange Is The New Black a few days ago, and have now started Black Mirror and Stranger Things.

Black Mirror is pretty disturbing but thought provoking. But I am absolutely loving Stranger Things!! :D I look forward to watching more of it today. I think Winona Ryder is great in it.

Stranger Things is great :D

Wow, you're watching TNG much quicker than I'm able to. We're still in the first half of season one. I'm often too tired to watch something for 40 mins, let alone more than one episode. I'm a little bit jaleous :giggle2::blush2:.

I had been doing 3-5 hours of cross-stitch an evening, so I watch TNG while I'm doing that, and get through 4-6 episodes an evening :) Now that I'm back to reading regularly in the evenings, I'm watching less, too.

We loved The Wire....I want to re-watch. :)

It's definitely re-watch material! There's so much to the story, all the small details and the bigger picture stuff... I bet there's loads of things that are going right over my head and I don't even know it! :D I'm now getting towards the end of season 4...

I've gotz the flu and so I'm binge watching stuff. I just signed up with Netflix for a free trial month (in order to watch the new Gilmore Girls episodes next weekend :exc: ) and now I can't decide what to watch :D Too much to choose from!! 

Getting to the end of season 2 of Crossing Lines and started downloading season 3  this has turned out to be one of those programmes that you are not sure about at the beginning and you really get into.

Did you watch season 1? Season 2 isn't my favorite. I didn't like all the dock business. And it was so different from the first season. 

Aw, I loved season 2, but yeah it was kind of jarring to have all those new characters at first.  In the end I thought that was part of what made The Wire so special - each season is very different (okay, season 1 and season 3 are kind of similar) and focuses on a different aspect of life in the city: the criminals, the cops, the docks, the schools, the politics, the media.

I just finished watching the first season of The Expanse (based on the James S A Corey novels) on Netflix.  Loved it - a really slow-burner but easily the best space-based science fiction series since Battlestar Galactica.  Up there alongside Stranger Things and Daredevil as my favourite show this year.  Can't wait for season 2!

I'm also watching Westworld, which is great, and the usual DC stuff - The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl, which is my favourite of the bunch at the moment (because it's light and fluffy and fun where everything else seems to be dark and miserable).  I'm probably going to dump Legends of Tomorrow soon (cos it's utter pants, frankly), and possibly Arrow (cos the whole Dark/Felicity/nuclear missile thing was beyond stupid, even for Arrow).

I stalled halfway through Luke Cage but I may get back to that soon.

Aw, I loved season 2, but yeah it was kind of jarring to have all those new characters at first.  In the end I thought that was part of what made The Wire so special - each season is very different (okay, season 1 and season 3 are kind of similar) and focuses on a different aspect of life in the city: the criminals, the cops, the docks, the schools, the politics, the media.

The thing is, I wouldn't have minded all the new characters, that much at least,

if the setting had been the same for the main characters as it was in the first season: that they all worked together, working the wire, and doing their thing. I'd loved it during season 1! So McNulty going out on a boat was devastating  :D Also, I don't think I grew to like the dock people the way I grew to love the drug people. I didn't grow attached, for some reason or another. 

But you're right in that I do love the different focuses (foci, if you will :giggle2: Reminds me of the latin plural for a certain type of feline that Bunk talked about at a bar...) and I'm going to love getting deeper in to them when I eventually re-watch and re-watch the series, endlessly :) Great show!!

and the usual DC stuff - The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl, which is my favourite of the bunch at the moment (because it's light and fluffy and fun where everything else seems to be dark and miserable).  I'm probably going to dump Legends of Tomorrow soon (cos it's utter pants, frankly), and possibly Arrow (cos the whole Dark/Felicity/nuclear missile thing was beyond stupid, even for Arrow).

Supergirl is the only one of the four that I actually watch (possibly because I'm being supportive of a rare female protagonist) and my hubby, who watches all of them, tells me that's the worst of them all. :giggle2:  I started watching the first episode of Legends of Tomorrow and found the acting so dreadfully wooden & cheesy that I couldn't justify wasting time on it. :lol:

I do feel like we've reached a total saturation point of comic book films & tv shows though.  :icon_eek:

Supergirl is the only one of the four that I actually watch (possibly because I'm being supportive of a rare female protagonist) and my hubby, who watches all of them, tells me that's the worst of them all. :giggle2:

Looks like his good taste doesn't stretch to tv ;):D

I started watching the first episode of Legends of Tomorrow and found the acting so dreadfully wooden & cheesy that I couldn't justify wasting time on it. :lol:

Wise decision! :lol:  And that truly is the worst of them.  I only watch it cos Dominic Purcell makes me laugh, and even his one-liners are wearing a bit thin now :D

I do feel like we've reached a total saturation point of comic book films & tv shows though.  :icon_eek:

Yeah, totally.  And there's more to come on Netflix.  They really are overdoing it.  All I want is season 3 of Daredevil.  Thank goodness for Westworld and The Expanse :D

But you're right in that I do love the different focuses (foci, if you will :giggle2: Reminds me of the latin plural for a certain type of feline that Bunk talked about at a bar...) and I'm going to love getting deeper in to them when I eventually re-watch and re-watch the series, endlessly :) Great show!!

Ah Bunk.  I miss Bunk.  :D

Looks like his good taste doesn't stretch to tv ;):D

:blush2::D

Yeah, totally.  And there's more to come on Netflix.  They really are overdoing it.  All I want is season 3 of Daredevil.  Thank goodness for Westworld and The Expanse :D

Yes, I'd just be happy to have Daredevil. :D Jessica Jones was alright too.

I've not managed to get around to Westworld yet, though I'm planning to. We're lucky if we manage to get around to watching 1 episode of something a night & I then I watch other stuff my hubby's not interested in via catch-up on my phone whilst doing various jobs around the house. :D

I just finished watching the first season of The Expanse (based on the James S A Corey novels) on Netflix.  Loved it - a really slow-burner but easily the best space-based science fiction series since Battlestar Galactica.  Up there alongside Stranger Things and Daredevil as my favourite show this year.  Can't wait for season 2!

I'm also watching Westworld, which is great, and the usual DC stuff - The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl, which is my favourite of the bunch at the moment (because it's light and fluffy and fun where everything else seems to be dark and miserable).  I'm probably going to dump Legends of Tomorrow soon (cos it's utter pants, frankly), and possibly Arrow (cos the whole Dark/Felicity/nuclear missile thing was beyond stupid, even for Arrow).

I`m watching all the DC stuff since you told me too ( :) ) - and once I`ve started, I just can`t give up till things get reaaalllly bad. :)

I`ll probably hold off on buying the DVD of The Expanse till there`s a box set, if the series is continuing - I got the first 3 seasons of BSG, then `had` to get the complete box set too ( well, it was the BluRays and it was super-cheap on a Black Friday deal years ago ) - and don`t want to do that again. :)

Also watching - Major Crimes - mid-season finale already next week ! Nooo ! This might be my favourite show atm. :D

I`m also giving Conviction ( Hayley Atwell ) a go, which is better than you`d think. 

Edited by Little Pixie

We discovered Dept Q, the Swedish detective series.  Cold cases, very complex and different cases.  Well acted. 

Also just started watching The Night Manager, the series.

Re The Wire.  I remember being disappointed at first when it switched to the dock storyline, but we got into it, and finally liked it a lot.

We discovered Dept Q, the Swedish detective series.  Cold cases, very complex and different cases.  Well acted.

What a coinkydink, I've recently read the first two books in the series :D Good stuff! 

Re The Wire.  I remember being disappointed at first when it switched to the dock storyline, but we got into it, and finally liked it a lot

Yeah, it was really disappointing, but one gets used to it :) 

Am I the only one who thinks that DC Legends is funny.  I so think Rory is brilliant.  Yes it is pants but I think that is what makes me laugh so much.

I am nearly at the end of Sarah Jane Adventures which again are quite tame really but I have been trying to watch these for years and now I can move on.

Edited by shirley

I've not managed to get around to Westworld yet, though I'm planning to. We're lucky if we manage to get around to watching 1 episode of something a night & I then I watch other stuff my hubby's not interested in via catch-up on my phone whilst doing various jobs around the house. :D

Whatever you do, don't watch Westworld on your phone :lol:  It deserves to be watched on the biggest screen possible  :smile:

I`ll probably hold off on buying the DVD of The Expanse till there`s a box set, if the series is continuing - I got the first 3 seasons of BSG, then `had` to get the complete box set too ( well, it was the BluRays and it was super-cheap on a Black Friday deal years ago ) - and don`t want to do that again. :)

I`m also giving Conviction ( Hayley Atwell ) a go, which is better than you`d think. 

I watched the first episode of Conviction.  Saying 'it's better than you'd think' is correct, because I thought it would be 'absolute shite' . . . and it's only 'shite'   :giggle2:

Re The Expanse - why don't you cheat?  Take the Netflix free 30 day trial, watch The Expanse (and Stranger Things!), and then cancel before the end of the trial  :D

Am I the only one who thinks that DC Legends is funny. 

I think so, yeah  :D

ETA:  Forgot to mention I've been watching Planet Earth II.  Marvellous.

Edited by Karsa Orlong