The Last Film You Saw - 2016

Athena

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday we watched The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2. It was a good film, there were a few bits I liked less (but I won't post about them due to spoilers) but overall I enjoyed seeing the film.

Am having a bit of a enthusiasm about Westerns at the moment. Saw Django Unchained , which was larger than life and fantastic,  and Unforgiven.  I considered Unforgiven to be really overrated. It was painfully slow and the dialogue was almost juvenile compared to the authentic period language used in True Grit and Open Range. Found the whole film boring. Why is this considered such a classic?

I have another two modern Westerns from Amazon to watch : The Homesman and Meek's Cutoff.

Yesterday we saw Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens. It was enjoyble, I liked it. I did feel like some things could've been better.

I can think of one thing in particular that should NOT have happened, Athena!  :rolleyes: 

I watched Mad Max: Fury Road this weekend and aside from the silly musical rig with a suspended guitar player in the front and drummers in the back, I quite enjoyed it!  Not normally a movie in my wheel house, but I'm glad I saw it!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens in all it's Blu-ray HD glory.

Quite enjoyed it, though I would have enjoyed it more had I not had to spend half an hour or so updating software before the ruddy disk would play.

That is so annoying when that happens! I've had that happen too, though not recently as our PS4 that we're using now, is generally kept pretty up-to-date. I'm glad you enjoyed the film :).

I watched Clueless at the weekend for the first time in years ... can't believe how well it has stood the test of time, still brilliant.  Loved it! :D

Star Wars: The Force Awakens in all it's Blu-ray HD glory.

Quite enjoyed it, though I would have enjoyed it more had I not had to spend half an hour or so updating software before the ruddy disk would play.

Good to know ... I've just warned my OH to get the blu-ray player updates sorted out this week, as I will be wanting to watch it myself this weekend! :lol:

^ This was on my PC, which occasionally throws a fit when I try to watch a new Blu-ray.  I think there is a bug in the PowerDVD software I use as I can put the same disk in the player at a later date and it will play and, occasionally, it will be the other way around with a disk that played okay before refusing to play ball.

Bloody annoying at 11pm, either way!

Edited by Raven

• 2 weeks later...

Batman vs. Superman

It pains me to say this, as I quite enjoyed Man of Steel, but this was a bit of a train wreck.

It started well, with an opening that nicely sets up Bruce Wayne's animosity towards ole Supes, but after that the logic of the film (which has an alien who can fly and a man who dresses as a bat) slowly unravels as the story goes along.

Lex's manipulation of events, and both Wayne and Kent, isn't very subtle (or convincing), and the numerous dream sequences - which serve as an insight into what Wayne and Kent are thinking - just jar and don't fit in with the overall flow of the film.

Both Gal Godot as Wonder Woman and Ben Affleck as Batman are pretty good, and there are some nice touches here and there, but the overall feel is one of someone stringing together a series of iconic moments with kinetic action sequences, and that's just not enough to hold a film together.

Oh, and some humour please; films can be serious and still have humour in them!

Civil War on Friday!

I watched a 1956 movie called The Bad Seed. I was inspired to watch it by a reference made on Gilmore Girls. :D I'd like to read the book one day as well.

I've been wanting to see that forever! Clive Barker mentions it in his awesome book, A to Z of Horror.

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. Caught the beginning accidentally and then wanted to know what happened so watched the whole thing. I'm so glad Matthew McConaughey's gotten the chance to act in other movies besides the romantic comedies. He's so much better in the drama stuff he's been doing! 

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. Caught the beginning accidentally and then wanted to know what happened so watched the whole thing. I'm so glad Matthew McConaughey's gotten the chance to act in other movies besides the romantic comedies. He's so much better in the drama stuff he's been doing!

Plus he has an Australian Cattle Dog! :)

Star Wars - The Force Awakens. Finally! 

I did enjoy it, and loved the 'nods' toward the original trilogy, although I did think they slipped into replication rather than homage once or twice. Rae and Finn are really good additions to the universe and I look forward to seeing more of them.