Your Book Activity - November 2015

chesilbeach

I finished a couple of books I had had on the go for a while - The Devil's Staircase by Helen Fitzgerald (very enjoyable) and The Curious Life of a Lonely Postman - Denis Thériault, really didn't like it, to be honest. Far too artsy for me. Hated the ending.

Now reading Contamination Book Zero, a free prequel I've had on my tablet for a while thanks to (I'd imagine) Anna's suggestion. Enjoying it, not sure will I fork out for the rest, but it's a fun read. Not sure what will be up next!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given up on The Humans by Matt Haig, not my cup of tea at all.. Will start Inside The O'Briens by Lisa Genova this evening hopefully. :)

I read The Humans early in 2015 and it has remained one of my favorite reads this year. I believe I rated it 9 / 10. I would recommend it to most members.

Today I got The Jester by James Patterson in the post (a 'very good' copy with it's spine bent as many times as possible across its width!!) and I've started Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll for a wintery read :) Also just bought another book by the same author for my tablet - The Snow Sister. Sounds very Christmassy! :)

Now reading Contamination Book Zero, a free prequel I've had on my tablet for a while thanks to (I'd imagine) Anna's suggestion. Enjoying it, not sure will I fork out for the rest, but it's a fun read. Not sure what will be up next!

:hide: I hope I don't lead you astray... I believe it is an indie.  I liked it, but didn't continue either.

I read The Humans early in 2015 and it has remained one of my favorite reads this year. I believe I rated it 9 / 10. I would recommend it to most members.

:006: Good to "see" you!

I finished Gone With the Wind for the 4th time :blush2: It's my favorite book... I finished 1,037 pages in 4 days :readingtwo:  I might read The Good Earth trilogy next, as that is my second favorite. 

I finished Birdsong, which I wanted to love but ended up giving a 3/5 to and really struggling to collect my thoughts into a coherent review.

Now getting my teeth into The Nine Tailors for the English Counties Challenge.

I read The Jester years ago, it was OK, typical Patterson, short chapters, easy to read.

Friend of mine said it was really good for the most part. I don't think I've ever read anything by Patterson - I just loved the premise of this. Glad to hear it's short chapters and easy to read, I like that in a historical fiction.

I am now solidly immersed in The Good Earth trilogy by Pearl S Buck and remembering just how much I love it.  It comes hard on the heels of Gone With the Wind and GWtW is such an amazing book though.  Reminds me why The Good Earth is my second favorite book :smile:

On another note, I can't believe how fast I am reading!  100's of pages just fly by.  I'm over 2,000 pages for November already!

I am now solidly immersed in The Good Earth trilogy by Pearl S Buck and remembering just how much I love it.  It comes hard on the heels of Gone With the Wind and GWtW is such an amazing book though.  Reminds me why The Good Earth is my second favorite book :smile:

On another note, I can't believe how fast I am reading!  100's of pages just fly by.  I'm over 2,000 pages for November already!

Woohoo! You've read so much already this month :).

Also finished Pyramids by Terry Pratchett which was up to his usual standard.

I liked that one a lot too :).

I read 100 pages in Peter van Olmen - De Kleine Odessa 2: Het Geheim van Lode A., but then abandoned because I wasn't enjoying it. I was a bit confused too and couldn't quite relate to the characters. I might enjoy the book more if I read book 1 first, so if I see that at the library some time I might borrow it, maybe. It's a shame because the series has some great elements, such as books, writers and writing playing a large role in the book.

I'm now re-reading Paul van Loon - De Griezelbus 2. I borrowed books 5 and 6 from the library but am now re-reading my own copies of books 1-4 to remind myself of what happens in those books. I might read book 0 too, it was written after book 4, I own it so I might read it after I finish book 4, if I think there'll be enough time to finish off my library loans before they're due. I'm enjoying the book.

Just finished On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. A bizarre but fun piratical fantasy.

I quite liked that one, although it's a shame it got kind of hijacked for the Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  The Anubis Gates is still my favourite of his that I've read.

I'm still soldiering on with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

The Anubis Gates is still my favourite of his that I've read.

It's great to hear that, I've got the book on my TBR. I'm pretty sure though I read it before and liked it and that's why I bought my own copy, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. Maybe I haven't read it and I just thought I did, or maybe I dreamed it :shrug:.

I quite liked that one, although it's a shame it got kind of hijacked for the Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  The Anubis Gates is still my favourite of his that I've read.

Yeah that was pretty dire. I have The Anubis Gates, Last Call and Declare by Powers still to read. Certainly heard good things about TAG :)

I'm still soldiering on with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Is it hard work then?

Im whizzing through Only to Die Again by Patrick Lee, making slow progress through The Golem and the Djinni and A Tale of Two Cities. Been too tired and busy to read a lot lately :(

It's great to hear that, I've got the book on my TBR. I'm pretty sure though I read it before and liked it and that's why I bought my own copy, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. Maybe I haven't read it and I just thought I did, or maybe I dreamed it :shrug:.

:lol:  Oh you'd know if you'd read it.  Time travel, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Egyptian gods and werewolves, that's all I'm saying  :D

Is it hard work then?

It's not an easy read, for sure.  I saw one comment which called it a 'textbook for revolution' :lol:  Someone on another forum likened the narrative voice to Bascule in Banks's Feersum Endjinn, which excited me (cos I love that book), but it's a bit lacking in the life and humour that book had by the bucket load.  It's not bad, just not setting my world on fire  :smile: