Strictly Come Dancing

poppyshake

OMG indeed - I'm glad he won but a part of me thinks Kellie should have won - her show dance was fabulous and everything a show dance should be.  I did think Jay might have blown it with his show dance - great beginning but after that it didn't go anywhere, there were bits of brilliance and then they went into something else; as the judges said, it was more like a trailer for all their best bits.  I actually thought Katie's show dance was better - it was very dramatic, great sets and costumes although she did lose it towards the end a bit, which was always her problem - I still don't think she should have been in the final but never mind.  Wasn't sure about Georgia's with the blindfold, it was certainly different.

To be honest I wouldn't have minded who won out of those three, but the boy done good, as they say, and it was a great show (although I did shout at Claudia to shut up at one point when she was just babbling).

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! OMG! OMG! He did it! Jay did it! I am SO happy he won! <3

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:

He so deserved to win... I think his consistency of improvement etc overall got him there...so pleased for him.

Yes I agree, he really did improve a lot and did some great dances every week - jive, salsa, paso doble, Charleston....plus I don't think he was ever in the dance-off.

Yup, he was the only one of this year's crop not to be in a dance off. :)

I am gutted Janet :( though not surprised .. she was going to get given duffers galore from now on in and even if not .. she couldn't really hope to have as good an experience again (plus her clock is ticking :D) Alan is proper gutted too .. she was the highlight for him. Good luck to her anyway! I'll miss her .. I love her choreography and I like that she's not a gurner (and doesn't throw star jumps and knee slides in when it's all going pear shaped.)

Well .. Saturday night!!  :cows: :cows: :cows: That went well! :D or the result was excellent anyway. I was annoyed (of course) that there was a BIG push to give Kellie the win (or Kevin more like) .. I didn't like all the cheering and hollering coming from the gallery (nine parts Clifton .. or that's how it seemed to me :D) or that it had been a Clifton love fest on ITT all week and that Jay's, and to a bigger extent Katie's, final night was ruined by the petty remarks of the judges. FGS! They managed to be perfectly lovely to Chris Hollins on finals night .. Craig pushed himself to give a 10 to the most flat footed Charleston in history (with no swivel) so why he couldn't find his 10 paddle for Jay is anyone's guess. I think he'd done the mental calculations and knew that if he had .. that would make Jay the highest scorer of the season and not just the joint highest scorer. I think he was also miffed about the jive. It would have been nice to see it but they were on a bit of a hiding to nothing there. It could never have gone as well plus something tells me Jay's knees weren't up to it .. week 3 is when we saw the strapping being used for the first time and Aliona said they had to adapt the training to suit after that.  

I had to watch the final at my Mum's so couldn't hide in the kitchen or anything .. aargh!! I am a big jinx but I would have been astounded if Jay hadn't won because his on-line support was massive. Even on the night .. #jayfortheglitterball was trending on Twitter. I don't think it's because he was in a boyband .. The Wanted weren't that massive here and it was over a while ago .. nobody I spoke to had a clue who he was beforehand. It was just a combination of beautiful dancer and beautiful soul. Plus the chemistry between them was perfect. You were left in doubt that they got on like a house on fire and credit to Aliona .. she didn't force him into anything. He was spray tan and practically glitter and sequin free and thank God the acting coach was never summoned. I respect her all the more for giving him the Strictly experience he wanted. I love Natalie but I think she would have pushed him outside his comfort zone. I don't even want to think about what Kristina and Janette/Karen might have done.

I loved his showdance. I like it when I see a medley of best bits or see what the celeb has learnt (like Jill and Darren's showdance.) I don't like frantic and hectic and I didn't like Kellie's much .. good energy but ugly dance. Georgia's was nice too .. similar thing .. in that we saw some of the stuff she'd learned and Katie's was dramatic but didn't quite come off in places. I was annoyed at the judges for intimating, more or less, that she shouldn't be there. They put her through!! There seemed like a big old agenda to me.

I didn't think the judge's choices were fair either. I'd like to see it scrapped actually as they always favour/hamper people with it. They didn't rate Jay in the quickstepathon so why pretend that his original quickstep would have been great without the mistakes? Hampered by a lousy tune too (I love the song .. but not for a QS) and then the band right royally mucked up the Bon Jovi song .. it was sung/played so much better last time. 

I have been lost this week :( All the more so because I don't think it will ever be this good again. I'll like it again I'm sure but it won't be the same. Very jealous of everyone going to the tour. Would love to get a Jay hug :hug:

I still can't believe he didn't get a perfect score for that jive! The judges didn't deserve to see it again! :D (Craig would have found something wrong with it anyway .. we all know it!) 

Yes .. that just about covers it! :D Big old conspiracy, unfair agendas and blatant favouritism .. but the public saw through it all. I was all fingers and thumbs on the night so didn't get half the votes in I intended. Was so busy fretting that I didn't get on with it  :blush2: Thank God for other people. 

Edited by poppyshake

I thought the final, particularly the first programme, was a bit underwhelming.  The judges choices weren't great, and I'd be happy to see that format change next year.  I want to see their best performances again, or at least ones that the couples really enjoyed watching, not dances that they struggled with earlier in the series.  The show dances were ok, but nothing that will stick in my mind as any sort of spectacular performance.  I also don't like that the eliminated couple don't get to dance their last dance, and would prefer to see a return to the early series format of favourite ballroom, favourite latin, then eliminated couple dance the show dance as their final dance, before the others perform theirs in competition for votes.

Although Georgia was my favourite for most of the series, I wouldn't have minded any of the finalists winning, as on the night, all had good and not so good dances (none worth a 40 though), but I actually thought Jay winning was a foregone conclusion.  I think the boy band affect does still have some impact on the voting, and had he performed that jive again (which, lets face it, was the dance everyone wanted to see again) there would have been no doubt in my mind that he would have won, but I've seen lots of comments that most people thought he'd win from week 3 when he danced it anyway.  I wanted to see his salsa again too, so I've just had to watch the video of it from Blackpool again! :D

I'm sad to see both Ola and Aliona leave, and I have nothing to base this on, but I wonder how much longer Kristina and Natalie will stay.  Again, I don't want to see either go, but I have a feeling they might decide it's time to move on soon too. 

Yes it's sad that Aliona is leaving, she's had a very good run.  She said she was planning on it being her last series anyway, however far she got this time.

I'd rather have seen Jay's salsa or jive again, I think they were better dances than the paso, like chesilbeach I'll be watching them on Youtube!

You can see all of Jay's dances in one place on my website, if you like … his page is at http://www.ultimatestrictly.com/jay-mcguiness;)

I'm really looking forward to the Christmas Special tomorrow.  I loved Lisa Snowdon, so can't wait to see her dance with Pasha, and I'm also looking forward to seeing Harry dance with Jo too.  I'm also looking forward to seeing Oti dance again … should be good to see her dance with a previous champion, even if it isn't one of my favourites. :D

I'm gutted Aliona is leaving - she seems such a lovely person and is a fabulous dancer and choreographer - and wasn't her chemistry with Jay just magical? She's been a favourite of mine this season.

Looking forward to the Christmas special, but weekends just aren't going to be the same now that it's all over for another year. I think it was a particularly good season this year - they'll be hard pushed to better it!

I really enjoyed the Christmas Special this year … I have to say, it was better without Bruce, who I know is recovering from surgery, but in his video message looked very old and I wonder if he'll be up to taking the mantle again in future?  Tess and Claudia handled it brilliantly as they have all series.

I loved most of the celebrities who returned (I adored Lisa Snowdon when she competed, and was especially happy to see her back), and enjoyed all the dances.  I thought Harry and Joanne deserved to win, and I'd love to see her get a contender next year in the main competition to see more of what she can do with someone who can actually dance!

I was a little disappointed by the Xmas special. I was glad Brucie wasn't doing it, as I think it's long past time he was put out to pasture from stuff like this. The guy who won the People's Strictly was brilliant - what an inspiration - and the last two were superb, but I found the other three very disappointing. The waltz confused me a lot, as it was done to music that most definitely wasn't in 3/3 time - you can't waltz to music that doesn't have a 3/3 beat - it just doesn't work. The guy that won (was it harry?) was brilliant, but I thought the last guy was better and should have won it. The others who were on didn't impress me at all. I understand Alison was very popular when she did it, but I didn't rate her performance at all, and thought they would have been better off giving the spot to someone else. Still, at least the three who were good weer incredibly good, which kind of made up a little for the others not being so great.

And I can't believe Craig didn't get dressed up as the Evil Queen - they missed a trick there - LOL!

I thought the final, particularly the first programme, was a bit underwhelming. 

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that!  I said to Kay a couple of months back that I was finding this series a bit boring, and nothing really happened to change my mind in the last few weeks.  The outcome had been predictable from week 3, even though Jay wasn't the best dancer in the final.  I thought he peaked with his jive, as Georgia peaked with her Char-less-tun, and neither came near that level again, IMO.  Kellie was consistent, and I loved her show dance (the only one that really felt like a show dance, to me - Jay's was a cop out! - but none of them came close to Flackers' show dance last year, for me), but she was never going to win it.

In the end, I couldn't get behind anyone, so really didn't get invested in it this year like I have in past years.  So my overall feeling towards this season was 'Meh!'

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the Christmas special, and especially seeing Lisa, Tom and Harry dance again

Glad to see the back of Aliona (shame she didn't go three months earlier!) but I'm still getting over the sight of Nat dressed as Puss in Boots, which rendered Aliona irrelevant :giggle2:

Just watching some dances back .. mostly Jay's of course :D and have been swearing at the screen because of THOSE safety pins in Jay's jive trousers!! I could cheerfully strangle Vicky wardrobe every time I see it. What were they thinking??? Even if the hem was flagged up between rehearsals and live performance .. there was still plenty of time for a decent alteration. When I think of the trouble they went to on some of the women's costumes (especially on movie week .. bl**dy Maleficent horns fgs!!)) it makes me livid!!! Such a shoddy thing to do .. I mean they are MASSIVE!! .. Nappy Pins!!! You can't see un-see them once you have seen them  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: (apologies for this :D) Whoever gave Vicky that award .. should look at the jive vid. Could be the reason that Jay didn't want to re do his jive .. nothing would persuade me back into those trousers (that came out wrong!! :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle: ) 

I don't believe Jay's showdance was a cop out at all .. it's not a case of just doing the same moves .. they wouldn't have fit the rhythm .. plus there were additional bits. The more I see Georgia's the more I cringe .. and I gather the blindfold idea was used in the DWTS final so not even a fresh idea. I didn't like Kellie's at all as it was all the things I hated about Kellie and Kevin's dances .. especially their latin  .. hectic and ungainly  :P 

As for the judge's choices .. they were mean in their choices (for some and not others) so it wasn't a level playing field.

Jay didn't peak with his jive imo .. in a way it was unfortunate that a dance that suited him so well came early .. but I didn't see a tango/rumba/salsa/paso or AT that I liked better this year. If Aliona had not landed on the floor in their charleston I would have preferred that to anyone else's too .. far more energy and swivel etc and great theme. I liked it that they never let the theming overwhelm or dominate their dances. I'd poke myself in the eye with a light saber rather than watch Kellie's charleston again. I loved Jay's waltz too .. but over all preferred Helen's ballroom.

I'll miss Aliona a lot .. such a great choreographer and not someone who gurns or over emotes. Natalie has always been my fave but I saw a side to her that I didn't like this year. I'll probably change my mind again by the time Strictly comes back again but there'll be some new ladies to enjoy by then I guess. I'm hoping it won't be Gleb's wife .. too many family relationships as far as I'm concerned .. it makes it cliquey. Plus that'll surely just up the 'burn the floor' ante which to me is a bad thing. I saw a vid of them performing a dance routine on a beach that I wish I'd never set eyes on  :D So naff!

I'm really missing the show though .. worst withdrawal ever!! There'll be dribs and drabs of tour news soon so I'm looking forward to that! :)

I'm missing it too!  Jay's salsa is quite possible my favourite dance ever, I must watch the jive again for those pins though!

DON'T WATCH IT!! You can never un-see the bloomin' things. I would hunt the person down who told me and kill them .. if I knew where they lived!!!! ;)

Jay's salsa is criminally underrated .. and it was criminally underscored. I think he was 4th on the leaderboard that night .. 4th!!!!! He didn't pull faces enough .. that's what it came down to (I will let it go .. eventually! :D)  

:o

:o :o

:o :o :o

:D

You rotter!! :D 

I'm not saying the jive wasn't his best dance .. though I did prefer his tango. Just that .. it wasn't all downhill from there and even if it was. Who could have topped that?!? It has over a million and a half views on YouTube .. even though it's geo-blocked .. that is phenomenal. 

I just remembered that Maleficent was for Halloween week and not movie week .. all the same .. it was still shoddy workmanship. 

I'd not heard about the safety pins before!!! :lol: I've just watched it again, and it's just made me laugh ... it doesn't take away from the dance, and I honestly don't think it was intentional - I'm sure Vicky and wardrobe must have been mortified when they realised that either they didn't have time to fix the trousers or when they came to put the outfit away and noticed the pins were still in. :giggle2: