Strictly Come Dancing

poppyshake

Actually I thought choosing the quickstep for Danny was a but unfair, I thought it was a surprising choice, given it was one of his weaker dances (along with the foxtrot in halloween week, apart from that he was pretty much the best dancer every week) whereas they choose the Singin in the Rain dance for Ore, which was his best dance after that jive, so I can't help feeling it was slightly tipped in Ore's favour.  But that jive was great, as was his show dance, but I can't help feeling it was slightly manipulated towards him, not that he wasn't a worthy winner.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised you thought the quickstep was one of his weakest dances - he danced it in only week four and scored 36 points which is a pretty decent score that early in the series. If I think about where it was in his ongoing training and progression, I would have said only the Charleston was stronger (given that they'd already picked their samba as their favourite) but difficult to repeat in the final because it was originally danced in Blackpool so had a big set and extra dancers. The judges also said their criteria was to pick dances they felt the celebrities could improve and get higher marks and could be worthy of 10s. Plus he was second on the leaderboard that week, with only Ore's jive beating him, and I actually think he was under marked that week too. I also think that because they'd picked week 3 dances for Ore and Joanne, it would have been a bit unfair to pick a much later dance for Danny, which would have been fresher in his memory, giving him a potentially unfair advantage.

There's also probably some consideration as to giving him a ballroom dance to balance the dance styles as well - it was the only true ballroom dance on the night - and his tango had only been two weeks before, his foxtrot was a mess and also difficult to recreate as it was a Hallowe'en dance, and the Viennese Waltz was back in week 2.

For me, apart from his samba, the quickstep is the most memorable of his dances, and definitely one he could have improved, if only he hadn't gone wrong - it would totally have been a 40, which have given him full marks in all his dances and put him too of the leaderboard on the night.

Yes I agree with you Kell, I still think they should have given Danny a different dance - could have done the waltz which was fairly early on in the series - and the Singin in the Rain was Ore's only other really outstanding dance, so I'm surprised they chose that one again as that was one of his best.  Anyway he was certainly a worthy winner on the night, and Louise, although she was good, was really only there to make up the numbers.  It was always a two horse race.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last year, some of my friends on Facebook got so fed up of my running commentary on SCD that I started up a FB group specifically for it so I wouldn't clog up people's news feeds LOL! I'm looking forward to watching and commentating again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alexandra's last three dances have been fantastic.  That jive was brilliant.  Couple of tiny stumbles but never mind.  Gemma's starting to look really good, too. 

I like Aston, though.  It's about time Manrarararara won it.

17 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Still leaves Simon and Brian though, both of whom are pretty hopeless, and at least one of them should have been in the dance off last week.  Charlotte wasn't as bad as either of those two.

True! Although they are not so terribly bad as others in the past.

I did think that Brian should have gone in week 2 rather than Chizzy though (based on the 1st dance anyway, I didn't really pay attention to the dance off).

I am loving Alexander, Aston, Debbie and Gemma

I didn't think Charlottes dance was that bad this week, thought she did very well. I am not technically trained so don't know if she did anything wrong just know I like what I see.

I have been having to catch up with the last three weeks as I was away on holidays.

As usual, I've been glued to it, as I need to keep my website up to date! :lol:

I think it's a really good series this year, and it feels like it's more of a dance competition and not just an entertainment show this year.  I love Shirley as the new head judge as she really knows her stuff, and she's been on It Takes Two a couple of times and has been fantastic.  They asked her to explain the techniques of the samba last week, and she did that brilliantly, then did a demo with Kevin and it was a full on samba routine!

From the competitors, my favourite was always going to be Susan, as I've always loved her as a comedian and she's been a long term fan of Strictly and I was delighted to see she'd finally made it.  I love that she's genuinely trying to dance as well, and not just being a comedy act.

Aside from Susan, after four weeks, I'm loving Gemma and Davood, and think they'll make great progress as long as they stay in.  I like Aston and Alexandra too, although like Steve mentioned earlier, Alexandra's jive as fantastic, but I don't think it was worthy of 10s yet, as both Aston and Alexandra suffer from being a tiny bit pigeon-toed at times, but she was better than anyone else on the night, and if you've already given 9s, it would be difficult to justify not giving her a higher score. :D  Love Jonnie too, and we were talking about it at work, and we genuinely forget his disability when we watch him dance ... except, obviously, when he danced the jive in his blade!  

I was disappointed Chizzy went out first, as the judges voted for Brian because he had more dance content, but the celebrities have no control over the choreography, so that doesn't seem a fair justification.  Having said that, Brian has improved, and I think he's made the most of his second chance.  Charlotte's dance this week was weak, and I think she was actually the weakest on the night (although I have to admit that if Brendan's dancing I find it hard to keep my eyes on his celebrity :giggle2:).

I'll stop there ... I could go on all night!

Yes I find I'm watching the pro dancer as well, especially if their celeb partner isn't very good!  Jonnie is doing well, and Davood has potential and shouldn't have been in the dance off last week. 

Well at last the two worst dancers were in the dance off, must have been difficult to choose between them!  I thought Debbie was superb again, so elegant, and Mollie was good too, Alexandra as well but that's a given ( and I didn't notice the pigeon toes, but then the camera work doesn't always show it), Joe's Paso was great but I don't think it merited a 10, definitely a 9 though.  Jonnie was also good and so were Aston and Gemma.  It's shaping up to be a strong series.

I think this year it is going to be difficult moving forward once the weaker ones go and you only have these good dancers left.  Wouldn't like to be the judging panel then.

Still think the stronger ones are Gemma, Molly, Alexandra, Debbie and Aston.  I did like watching Jonnie and Joe this week.

What did everyone think of this week's show, well last week's now!  As usual amazing costumes and make up, Aston, Alexandra and Debbie were the stand outs; I was surprised at one person being in the dance off but the other was the right choice and I was glad to see them go; I think either Ruth or Susan will be next to go.  Johnnie had a rather bad week but thankfully stayed in.  But Aston was stunning.