Strictly Come Dancing

poppyshake

Janet, I'm totally with you about Ed now - you're exactly right, it's a light entertainment programme, and he's incredibly entertaining, but not only that, he's dancing proper routines, albeit not as technically adept as the others, but still proper dancing, unlike previous "comedy" acts who've outstayed their welcome in my opinion (Ann Widdecombe instantly springs to mind). I really don't mind him staying in, although I probably would prefer the best dancer to win the final, I wouldn't mind him being there too.

I never thought I'd be voting for Ed Balls!   He's just so great to watch, isn't he.   I love that he's trying so hard and taking it so seriously. :)

We're watching ITT - I agree that it's better - it was getting rather tired.  I love the edition of Neil and Chloe (particularly Neil - I'd love him to go on the proper show next year!).  

We're looking forward to the Cha Cha too - like you we usually rewatch it on iPlayer!

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please please make Ed go tonight, yes he did a few of the steps correctly but that was about it, plus he's now pulling what he thinks is a sultry face - as Craig said, it's going to his head now, and enough is enough.

I think Judge Rinder will be in the dance off, a shame as he's been improving, but his rumba was the weakest dance after you know who.  The others were all fab.

Janet, I'm totally with you about Ed now - you're exactly right, it's a light entertainment programme, and he's incredibly entertaining, but not only that, he's dancing proper routines, albeit not as technically adept as the others, but still proper dancing, unlike previous "comedy" acts who've outstayed their welcome in my opinion (Ann Widdecombe instantly springs to mind).  I really don't mind him staying in, although I probably would prefer the best dancer to win the final, I wouldn't mind him being there too.

Completely agree.  I'm actually quite sad that he's gone.  So he wasn't very good, but he threw himself into it and really tried hard, and he was very entertaining.  The show will seem quite empty without him, I think.

Anyone else watching It Takes Two during the week?  I'd been getting a bit fed up with it over the last few years as it had felt so formulaic, but they've come up with some new ideas this year, and I can't remember enjoying it so much since Claudia was still presenting it.

Must admit I feel the opposite on this - it seems to be more formulaic now than ever, with the same features on the same day every week.  It's being completely ruined for me by that dreadful Karen Hardy to the point where I have to record it and fast forward through her bits.  Thankfully, now there are less contestants, she won't be on twice a week but, God, when she was it was awful.  

Must admit I feel the opposite on this - it seems to be more formulaic now than ever, with the same features on the same day every week.  It's being completely ruined for me by that dreadful Karen Hardy to the point where I have to record it and fast forward through her bits.  Thankfully, now there are less contestants, she won't be on twice a week but, God, when she was it was awful.

I know it's still a bit formulaic, but they've done some extras that have been good - I like the pros doing the extra clips about different styles of dancing, I *love* Gethin doing the Friday Elstree segments, and there was a lovely tribute to Peggy Spencer. There's also been some little bits that have worked really well, like the little Pointless quiz they did when Richard Osman was on the Friday panel. Tunes on Tuesday has been good fun with the other guests joining in, and I just think they've put a bit of extra effort into it this year, after the last few years which have been a bit flat. They haven't seemed to worry if they didn't get all the couples on each week which last year was something they shoehorned in, and thought it was great having Erin and Matt come back for a visit yesterday, albeit for too short an interview! Like the stats they've thrown in as well (obviously, since that's the whole reason I set up my website! ;)) - nice to see them comparing previous contestants, and showing the stats between other couples too, so all in all, I'm very impressed!

I watch It Takes Two occasionally, it's a bit too frenetic and screechy sometimes, and feels very rushed, though I suppose they have top cram a lot in to a short programme, maybe not so much now that there aren't many couples left.  I did enjoy the Peggy Spencer tribute though, and it was funny seeing the clips from the very first series of SCD - Len with a full head of dark hair!

I predicted this week correctly - Ore and the Judge in the dance off, with the Judge getting his marching orders (there goes my office sweepstake).  I thought it was a good show overall, although the extra dancers didn't always work - the chorus line on the tango was superb, but the dancing flowers in Ore's routine just got in the way, they completely blocked him a couple of times, and were way too distracting.  I did think Claudia finally showed her personality, as Craig said, but think either her or Ore will go next weekend. 

I think the right person went this week as well, he is such a gentleman though and I do like to watch him progressing as he takes it all in.

Ore I hope goes next week I would love to see Claudia in the final with Louise.  Louise I thought enjoyed herself so much this week.  Two dances next week I think this will test them.

Yes Claudia was so much better this week, I've always found her a bit technical but I suppose she's used to performing like that with gymnastics, but she was so exuberant this week it was like watching a different person (and they both looked so sweet!).

I think Ore is probably the weakest dancer now, he's good but is inconsistent and not as controlled or precise as the others.

Think the winner will be either Danny or Louise, although of course a gymnast has won before! 

I loved watching the Judge as he was always entertaining, and looked like he was enjoying himself (although he says in the Radio Times that he's absolutely petrified before going on stage), and he was always so lovely in his praise of Oksana and everyone on the show,  and he really did improve over the course of the series. 

I'd like to see Danny, Ore and Louise in the final. I've never warmed to Claudia, but although I wasn't keen on Louise in he beginning, I rather like her now. Ore is very good, but I didn't think much of his foxtrot. Much as I love Danny, I thought his Tango a little underwhelming (and I LOVE Tango!). Louise stole the show this week with her Deadwood Quickstep - she was marvelous. Even so, I really want to see Danny win it - he's been the strongest dancer from the start, but he's also improved - I just LOVE watching him dance!

Yep Danny for me too, he's been the strongest since the very first show, and has almost always looked like a professional dancer.  I could accept Louise as a winner though, as she's improved the most and seems to really enjoy herself.  I think Ore is the weakest of the remaining four, and will probably go this week, shame as he's good, but not as good as the others.

Apparently they would have been four in the final (I think there were 4 last year), but with will Young leaving they had to get rid of someone this week, so I read somewhere.  Think the right 3 are in the final, I couldn't believe Oti's leap at the end of the American smooth - she just launched herself! :o

I'm really happy Ore won.  I warmed to him in the last few weeks and I liked his dances best on the night.  I wouldn't have minded any of them winning, though - they were all great.  I reckon Oti might've cost Danny the win - great dancer and choreographer but as soon as she opened her mouth it was like fingernails scraping down a blackboard :giggle2:

Apparently they would have been four in the final (I think there were 4 last year), but with will Young leaving they had to get rid of someone this week, so I read somewhere.  Think the right 3 are in the final.

That was a source of real irritation in our household.  By just carrying on as if nothing had happened when Will Young left, it meant that his place was left open, all the other dancers were deprived of an extra week - including at least one from making the final (Claudia as it turned out) - and we the viewers deprived of a whole lot of dancing.  It was as if they had given WY a bye into the final, where he didn't turn up.    What they should have done IMO is given everybody a bye the week he dropped out, or carried scores over into the next week (like they did for the first two weeks).  It would have been very interesting to see the effect of Claudia in the final (and her showdance!).  Ggrrrrrrr!

We were both rooting for Danny and Oti, but on the night Ore and Joanne were superb (as they were in the semis) and I can't see there being any complaints about them being worthy winners.  Certainly, for me, it was a toss-up between the two: Louise's Argentine Tango was stunning, but otherwise she didn't seem quite in the same league either here or in the semis, where I thought she got a bit lucky.  Very much a layman's opinion though, and she was a worthy semi-finalist/finalist, especially given her 'story'.

Overall, thought it was a brilliant series - so many highlights.  Have become a total addict!

Edited by willoyd

Although I had been championing Louise throughout the series I too thought Ore and Joanne deserved to win.

I loved watching Louise and Kevin dancing but just felt there was something missing but don't know what.

It was a busy weekend for Ore as he was at the Sports personality of the year the day after.  Bet he is looking forward to a rest.

I'm a bit gutted about Danny not winning as well, overall he was the best and most consistent dancer, the two dances which Ore did were his best, and I think it might have been a different outcome if the judges had given him a different first dance to do, although his show dance was stunning (so was Danny's, typically dramatic choreography!).  Louise's showdance was nice but nothing really special, generally  the slower showdances don't go down that well, and although she's good she was really only making up the numbers, it was always going to be between Danny and Ore.

I agree with Will about Will Young leaving - they should not have had anyone leave that week in his place.

Still a great series though, probably the highest standard ever, and hugely entertaining.

I loved the final this year, in fact, this series has been one of the most enjoyable for years for me.  I would have been happy for any of them to win, and I wonder if Danny hadn't mucked up the quickstep (which was one of my favourite dances of the whole series) if he might have won?  I have to admit, we only voted in the final this year, and we did vote for Ore - I thought he was excellent in both the semi-final and the final, and on the night, my favourite.  As I hadn't really had any favourite (after Tameka left so early on  :negative: ), I just enjoyed the programme each week without really being too bothered who went each week, so when it came to the final, we just decided see how it went, and after Ore's show dance, OH told me I had to vote for him, but I waited to see all the dances before I made up my mind and agreed with him, so our votes went to Ore.

Everything was good for me - the pro dancers tribute to Len was lovely, and I thoroughly enjoyed the group dance with the eliminated celebrities coming back one last time - all together, it was fantastic.

Just thought I'd explain about the three/four couple final - in the first series, it was a two couple final, then from series two up to series nine, the format should have allowed for a three couple final each year, but for a few of series, because someone retired (for illness/injury or personal reasons) there were a few finals with only two couples.  This was always more difficult for the celebrities, as with the same amount of airtime to fill, the producers introduced extra dance rounds for them to do, so each couple had to perform four dances in the final, two of which were new to them so it was incredibly difficult for them.  From series 10 onwards, the producers decided to change the format so that they would have a four couple final, but if they did have someone drop out during the series, they would still have three couples in the final, meaning they didn't have to change the format during the series.  

It's very difficult to change the rules on a competition where the public vote, so if you decide not to eliminate anyone in week 5 because someone has left, what's the point in that weeks show?  Everyone dances and no-one goes home - what do you do on Sunday when you have a 45 minute slot to fill where the results show would have been, plus what does the musical act you've hired to promote their new single or album do, and what a waste of effort for the pro dancers who would have a group dance prepared?  You can't bring back the last person that got eliminated either, because again, the public have voted (and some will have voted by phone so it has cost them money) to save someone the previous week, and then you've ignored that by bringing back the person who was voted off.  Not only that, the couples only get from Monday afternoon - Thursday evening to train, less any time they have to take out to do their own day job, It Takes Two, other Strictly promotional work, so if you only find out someone is dropping out on Tuesday, they might only have two days training instead of three and a half that others have had, which would mean they'd be less prepared than everyone else and likely to be low down the leaderboard and if they didn't have the public voting from them before, they'd probably just end up in the bottom two that very week again.  It'd also be an organisation nightmare as you'd have to book training rooms in the location of the returning celeb which you've already cancelled after they were eliminated, potentially arrange travel and accommodation for the pro dancer they were partnered with, add back in the arrangement of the music for Dave Arch after you'd dropped it from the list at the weekend, last minute dress design and sewing for Vicky Gill's team ... the list goes on!  I know it seems unfair, but it would be a logistical nightmare to change the format at such short notice. Anyway, I'll stop raving on now, it's just that Strictly is a huge part of my life and I know this stuff inside out! :lol: