poppyshake

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Rats, that means I need to try harder :giggle2:

:D

Ian not too confident about that AT .. I'm not either :unsure: Anxious times :D Love the music though .. listening to it on repeat! 

That dress of Kellie's looks hideous  :o Maybe it will look better on .. or maybe it will change into a different dress by Saturday :D Katie's dress looks lovely. 

What an improvement this week! The BBC definitely got the balance right last night, with good and weaker dancers mixed throughout the programme.

Peter was much better than I was expecting, and didn't feel like a pop music video dance which I'd been expecting, so was pleasantly surprised, but not sure it warranted 10s, to be honest.

Carol was by far the weakest of the night, Jamelia was ok, but not great and getting caught up in the guitar on the floor didn't help, and I couldn't see past the hideous theme and music for Jeremy's tango.  It really should be two of those in the dance off, but perhaps this is the week for our first shock elimination. :dunno:

Katie made a few mistakes which spoiled what could have been a great routine.  Didn't understand why Anita was dancing a jive in daps, and it made it look too much like a lindy hop or swing dance, and far too much use of props for such a potentially good dancer, especially when some of the proper jive content looked really good - probably over marked for my liking.  Agreed with Len (:o) about Helen's lack of rumba content, and I think she deserved her lower place on the leader board this week … although had to laugh at Len saying he had to be consistent with his comments after having a go at Giovanni a couple of weeks ago … since when have you been consistent, Len???? :lol:

Far too much mucking around at the start of Kellie's waltz, but her technique was very good … loved the heel turns at the beginning, no gapping, and she just missed one of the steps towards the end of the dance, otherwise I think she might have got 9s rather than 8s and been higher up the leader board.

I loved Jay's AT music, and I loved the routine, but then the AT is often more about the woman than the man, and although I know Aliona tends to make routines all about her anyway, I think Jay danced it really well, and it looked fantastic.  I know what people mean about Jay's lack of personality in the dance, but in this one, he did get it right at times.  There were some great sections where he looked directly into Aliona's eyes and focussed on her only, which you want to see in the AT, but there could have been a bit more fire in him at other times to just bring that added extra.  If he could get that, then this would have easily been a top of the leader board dance.

Georgia is my star, and I think she's having the perfect Strictly journey.  She started off good, but not too good.  She's steadily progressed, been on the receiving end of a Len rant, and fully deserved her top of the leader board last week.  If only there hadn't been that little mistake towards the end, this would have been a fantastic samba.  She made it look great, had plenty of samba content, and even coped when the stoopid prop tables got in the way of their dancing.  At the moment, she's my favourite.

Overall, by far my favourite night of the series so far. :smile2:

A much, much, better show this week :) Even some training VT's!! :o An awful lot of faffing about though .. some intro's took ages and it's getting very proptastic .. even during the non-themed weeks!

Anyhow .. 

If Peter was going to excel at anything .. it was always going to be the Charleston. Suited him to the ground. It wasn't without it's problems .. I hated the slo-mo bit and felt he was losing momentum towards the end but great job nevertheless. Didn't deserve a higher mark than Jay's jive (I have this on copy and paste now :D) That's annoying!!

Jamelia looked lovely and there were some beautiful gliding moments .. arghhh though .. the props! Such a hazard. Not sure if Tristan coped with it properly (I'm thinking again of Pasha and the fez :D) .. couldn't he have steered her into calmer waters? Anyhow .. an improvement .. hope she's not in the bottom 2 again.

Carol is not improving now .. it's almost painful. She's probably tired out .. it's so full on what with her day job and everything. The lifts were awkward .. it was all awkward in places. Nice lady but I hope it's her week to go.

Helen was able to get away with her hips lying last week .. due to the mummy theme .. well done Aljaz or whoever thought of it :D This week .. nowhere to hide. It was just all a bit stiff. Still some beautiful lines and she's always watchable but the emotion wasn't there for me. It's always very placed.

Awww .. Jay ... :wub: Bless him! Firstly, I loved the music .. just a brilliant choice. Secondly I did love his intensity .. he could have done with more emoting. It wasn't as 'filth' as I would have liked. The walk backwards down the stairs to begin was a mistake because he is too caring (but major points for having the least intro faff) .. he did it cautiously. I did love it though. It was not the car crash I was dreading at all and OMG .. those lifts!! Incredible and I thought Aliona was phenomenal. Not sure that she would have choreographed it .. how much help do they get these days? I think she has showcased Jay well in their other dances .. this may well have been her trying to lessen his anxiety. Blimey .. it would have helped if they hadn't sounded a klaxon every time the words 'Argentine Tango' were said prior to him dancing it and making such a hoo-hah. No pressure! The judges were harsh but their scores were fair. My heart nearly broke though in the Clauditorium. Lovely to see Claudia .. who hates physical contact as much as the Wicked Witch of the West hates water :D  :witch: .. put her arm through his. He IS edible Claudia .. you're right. Rufus Hound gave a perfect description of Jay on Friday's ITT .. so brilliant that I think I'll have it put on a t-shirt!
He's not lost any of his shyness .. even his walk down the stairs is self conscious. Not sure he will be able to provide the emotion the judges want but he's providing the emotion I want .. and that's all I care about. Feel sorry for him that the dance that suited him best came early .. had he had the same dances but not the jive until next week .. everyone would be saying wow! He's upped his game. Feel sorry too that it didn't get a perfect score and now others are scoring more .. even when there are mistakes!!!! Harsh and poss he'll never achieve a perfect score of 40 which is incredible to me!
Rant over! Almost :D I suppose the Charleston will be his redemption dance .. if he's to have one. Lord above!

Katie so looks the part for this dance, I thought it was going to happen big time but it only happened in flashes. She lost it a bit at times and it went to pieces (very technical dance terms I've used here :D) Still lovely but not the triumph I expected.

Anita was very nippy. The jive does suit small people .. Rufus is right (extra props to Jay :D) but I think it's almost cheating to do it in pumps. You must feel more secure .. and I didn't think she was accurate or sharp all the way through (or at all really in the kicks and flicks.) The general impression is of a job well done but Gleb still showcases himself too much IMO (and that break dancing was lame.) Anita does give the emotion the judges want but to me it's all a bit 'suit you sir' (I especially thought this with her samba.) Len thought it was as good as Jay's jive!? Okay! :blush2: Lots of faffing again.

I hated the intro to Kellie's waltz .. and hated the outfits. It was all too twee and a strange theme for the song. She didn't look entirely comfortable and lost frame etc a couple of times. Think her heavy work schedule is beginning to tell as it looked under rehearsed. Major faffing. Not convinced.

Major faffing intro to Jeremy's tango and ridiculous song and theme! Bit pedestrian at times and not as enjoyable as some of his routines have been. I was embarrassed most of the time. High cringe factor this one (not totally their fault .. lumbered with that song for a tango!!)

Georgia looks amazing .. she has the dress of the week/month/year! Major, major, faffing though at the start .. almost 30 secs (29 to be exact.) She goes off like a bullet though and the routine is packed full of samba content from there on in. 'Joe Varney' :D is gyrating about like a man possessed .. channelling the Cliftons to great effect. Unfortunately, about three quarters of the way through, there's a blip and Georgia looks like a rabbit in the headlights for a few more seconds. She gets back on track though and finishes the routine excellently.

Good show. Hope one of the weaker dancers goes tonight! I can't see Jeremy's support fading though and Carol must have high support too so huge possibility of a shock bottom 2.   

It was an interesting night - finally Peter seemed to be back on form after a couple of disappointing weeks, I think it is time for Carol to go, and Helen's rumba seemed to have very little actual dancing in it.  Jeremy's tango to Go West - again the choice of music was bizarre to say the least.  I thought the AT was disappointing, the lifts were great but I can see what you all mean now about him not showing emotion, the AT should be fiery and precise - technically it wasn't bad but emotionally it was nothing.  I thought Anita and Georgia were the best two, loved the jive and Georgia went into her samba like a rocket, a couple of little wobbles (slight over-balancing) but she carried on.  I'm afraid Katie and Jamellia were fairly forgettable, wouldn't be surprised to see Jamelia in the dance-off yet again.  And yes the props are becoming really annoying and intrusive.

Well, I was wondering why I'd run out of tin foil - then I saw Claudia's 'dress' :giggle2:

Aliona tends to make routines all about her anyway

My thoughts every week.  And she always looks so smug about it :banghead:

I was saying the other day that nobody seems to be really improving this year, they all seem fairly static at the same level as when they started.  Then along comes Georgia and does that.  Got my vote this week :yes:

Before I start dissecting this week's dances, let me start by saying, I'm a HUGE fan of Jay - I've developed rather a nice little crush on him and every week I wish I was dancing with him. <3

Anyway, on to this week's dancing...

Peter & Janette - Charleston - Do Your Thing

Wowza! Was Peter back on form or WHAT?! There were a couple of times where they weren't perfectly synchronised, but only by a fraction, and such energy! Oh, my Gods! I actually applauded when they were done, I was so blown away, Very richly richly deserved tens in his scores. My favourite dance of the night!

Jamelia & Tristan - Viennese Waltz - Trouble

I actually rather liked this. I'm not a huge fan of Jamelia, but she's definitely improving, and her hard work is paying off. Once we get rid of the last few duffers, she's going to have a hard time staying in, though, because I don't think she's particularly popular with the public, nor is she the greatest dancer. That said, I enjoyed watching this.

Carol & Pasha - American Smooth - Man! I Feel Like A Woman!
Worse and worse! Every week she comes on the screen, all smiles and lovliness (too good to be true, to be honest), and every week she stomps her way around the dancefloor with zero style or grace. This week, most of the dance time was actually taken up with walking across the floor, then sitting on the counter, then faffing about with boxes, then going behind a screen before they even started dancing, and then the dancing she DID do was bloody awful! Hated it from start to finish.

Helen & Aljaž - Rumba - Hello

I don't like the rumba - I find it a very nondescript kind of dance, but I actually loved this one (I know, I couldn't believe it myself!). The choreography actually reminded me of stuff we used to do in some of our dance shows in my old theatre company. She's such a good dancer, though, and this style really suited her. Aljaž is also one of my favourite dancers - I always love watching him.

Jay & Aliona - Argentine Tango - Diferente

HELLO! I adore the AT and I adore Jay. AT+J=HOT! I don't agree with what some of the judges were saying about his lack of characterization - I thought he looked incredibly intense - my heart was fluttering like crazy while I watched him!

Katie & Anton - Quickstep - 42nd Street

This actually worked quite well for Katie - she's definitely better off with ballroom than Latin (but then, so is Anton, I think!). Kind of middling for me, in terms of the dances throughout the evening, but she acquitted herself well.

Anita & Gleb - Jive - The Boy Does Nothing

Very good! I love watching Anita dance - I reckon she can turn her hand (or her feet!) to just about anything. Her knees could have come up a bit higher, which would have looked more energetic, but overall, a strong performance and some great choreography.

Kellie & Kevin - Waltz - Love Ain't Here Any More

This was just lovely, Kellie seems to pick up the new dances with ease each week. She works hard and her efforts show in some lovely execution. Like Len, I was impressed with her heel turns (I noticed them right off and know how difficult they are!), and once again their synchronicity was brilliant - they evidently work really well together, because it's like they were made to dance together.

Jeremy & Karen - Tango - Go West

Once again we were saddled (I'm so sorry!) with a whacky concept to disguise a little of the downpoint of one of the duffers. That said, Jezza has definitely improved from the first few weeks of EDD (Embarrassing Dad Dancing). I did, however, wish he would straighten his legs a little more, because it sometimes looked like he was half-waddling with those lanky legs of his! I've never been a fan of him, but he's grown on me immensely during his time on Strictly, and I will genuinely be sad when it's his turn to go (I don't think he'll make it to Blackpool).

Georgia & Giovanni - Samba - Volare

A lot of faffing around at the beginning with the concept setting, but then - BAM! How fast was that? They shot across the dance floor like a speeding bullet and then kept up the pace for the whole dance! She's not my favourite (I find her very annoying, and her acting in the VT sections is always appalling - how on earth does she have an acting career?!), but I do love watching her dance, and she's well partnered with Giovanni.

DANCE OFF

OMGs! Strictly shocker! How on earth did Kellie end up in the dance of??? I can only imagine that the voting public reckoned she was safe, and so didn't vote for her at all. It was a shame because she did NOT deserve to be there, and it was immediately evident that unless someone like Helen was the other person in the dance off, she wouldn't be going home. Thankfully, the voting public saw sense and put Carol in the dance off, so she immediately knew she'd be going home, because there was NO WAY the judges would keep her over Kellie (and rightly so!). So, it was a long-overdue good bye to Carol, and a big sigh of relief from me, as she was th eone who really deserved to go this time.

On a side note, I was so happy for Jamelia being safe this week - her reaction in the lounge when she got through was the first time I've actually liked her - she seemed genuinely surprised and chuffed to bits!

PREDICTIONS FOR COMING WEEKS:

Jeremy won't make it to Blackpool - I think he'll be out next week. After that, it'll be a toss up between Jamelia and Katie to see which of them goes home first. Once those three are out, it's going to be VERY hard to call, because it'll be the good dancers starting to leave!

Couldn't help laughing that on 'Len's Lens' .. Darcey was talking about how in sync Peter & Janette were .. and then they chose a slo mo clip which showed them to be out of sync completely :D The irony :D

It was Carol's time .. aww .. bless Pasha .. I love him!! He didn't turn her into a comedy contestant .. respect!
Pleased for Jamelia but surprised that Jeremy wasn't in the bottom 2. Wow!! He's pulling in the votes (Blackpool exit maybe .. like Judy!?)

Wasn't really that surprised about Kellie .. thought if there was to be a shock it would've been her or Helen. Helen looked terrified waiting for the result. Would have been a tough decision had it been between her & Kellie. Caroline was in the dance off this time last year, so it happens .. and it means nothing in the long run.

Another good week for Georgia next week with a crowd pleasing Charleston to a song from 'Chicago'. Team GG in the ascendency!

Edited by poppyshake

Couldn't help laughing that on 'Len's Lens' .. Darcey was talking about how in sync Peter & Janette were .. and then they chose a slo mo clip which showed them to be out of sync completely :D The irony :D

I noticed that, too :lol:

It was Carol's time .. aww .. bless Pasha .. I love him!! He didn't turn her into a comedy contestant .. respect!

Yeah, but then he said this was his most amazing time on Strictly  :o   I'll never forgive him :theboss:   :giggle2:

I thought overall it was the best week on strictly so far this year.  Loved Peters dance and glad he was on first to get the show rolling.  Helen I was very disappointed, ok so she has long legs and can keep them in position, but where was the dancing. Georgia I think is just enjoying herself so much and it shows.

Well, I was wondering why I'd run out of tin foil - then I saw Claudia's 'dress' :giggle2:

LOL. Oh Claudia. Why??

So glad to see Carol go this week. About blooming time. I love Carol as a weather presenter, but really, this is a dance competition not a popularity contest. I like Jeremy too but will soon start to resent him if he gets in the way of better dancers. So glad to see Jamelia safe this week. I hope it gave her a little boost although I don't think she'll last that much longer. I hope she beats Jeremy though!

There were some great dances this week. Loved Peter - though the syncing was nowhere near as good as Kellie's Charleston. Also loved Anita's jive. Thought Jamelia did well this week too actually.

It's getting interesting now. I hope Jeremy goes next though!

They are going to be doing a quickstep-athon .. week 10 .. give me strength!! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: There was enough carnage in the waltz-athon. I would really rather have dance fusion back than that.

Some interesting news about Jay (or I thought it was :D

Mina (the AT expert that was helping Jay & Aliona) said that her and Giraldo only had 4 hours training with them .. so it was quite difficult to help much in that short time .. she then went on to say that Jay was injured. Not sure if that's the ongoing knee problem or a specific injury to the AT training (Mina just put a good luck message up before the performance saying 'since he has injured himself this week .. I can not really say break a leg!')

Apparently she and Giraldo choreographed the middle section only. She also says that Jay knows he needs to work on his performance skills.

Anyway .. injury! :(  

Didn't enjoy Karen much this evening, too much tw*tting about before even getting on to the critique etc .. so much bowing and fluttering of eyelashes etc. Bring back Jo :D 

Liked the pro dance on the results show. Except for Anton jiving .. he can't so let's leave it at that. 

I love Claude but that dress! :o 

One thing I was annoyed about also was Craig going on about ganchos (when I understand from experts that true AT is not all about ganchos) and then arguing the case for Helen and Aljaz's rumba not having that much traditional rumba content. Inconsistent. 

Anyhow .. this leaves the way clear for all the other couples to litter their AT routines with ganchos a plenty. Peter will have made a note of it in his 'what pleases the judges' notebook I bet :D 

I have to say that I was looking forward to Peter Andre, but his sycophantic manner is *really* doing my head in.  :banghead:  I haven't actually voted for him and I don't see that changing unless he does!

This week I voted for Helen, Jay and Jeremy!   :D  :giggle:

Karen Hardy just gives me the creeps so much.   :hide:   It's a pity she came back! 

I have to say that I was looking forward to Peter Andre, but his sycophantic manner is *really* doing my head in.  :banghead:  I haven't actually voted for him and I don't see that changing unless he does!

This week I voted for Helen, Jay and Jeremy!   :D  :giggle:

Karen Hardy just gives me the creeps so much.   :hide:   It's a pity she came back! 

I did warn you about Peter, Janet :D 

Not really looking forward to the 'dedicated to his kids' VW much  :blush2: 

Some strange song choices again this week. A samba to Boom! Shake the Room!  :o Still, Kevin and Kellie are excited about it (and didn't Kevin mention about wanting to be the Fresh Prince on an earlier show?) so that's the main thing. Can't see 'A Little Respect' working either .. bit hard to get a samba bounce going to that .. good luck Jamelia! 

Georgia has a great song and she's loving the dance so I'm imagining she'll be top or near it as the judges do love a Charleston and team GG are ideal for it. 

Jay has a foxtrot to Sam Smith's 'Lay Me Down' .. you can't really dance that with anything but a serious face .. it's so slow. Cue the judges telling him he's not emoting enough .. AGAIN!

I think the others will be fine except for Katie and Anton in their rumba! More worried about Anton than Katie! 

Jeremy has massive support so .. if Kellie gets a vote bounce .. there will probably be a shock couple in the bottom 2  :blush2: I can see Jamelia being in the DO again but who else? Bet the nerves will be out in force .. along with Peter's kids :D Anyone got a nan? .. or triple nans? (Mark Wright :D) .. they'd better dust her off and bring her in.

I don't mind Ian so much, because at least he makes useful and pertinent comments about the training footage, and I do like the dancing with Zoe reminding us how good she was, but even as a fan of Karen :hide: , I have enjoyed the different dancers taking a turn over the last few weeks (although I'm not a fan of Joanne, but it was still good to have a different view).  I do wish though, that they would actually talk more about the choreography to show what the pros have done to show off their celeb or where they failed to hide the faults, and not just review the dances and technique again.

I'm surprised no one has been discussing last night's show, but surely Jeremy must be in the dance off after his latest performance, possibly his worst yet.  He's had a good run but enough now!

My faves last night, I think, were Peter and Georgie, but I wish they wouldn't use dry ice, how can anyone see their footwork with that stuff swirling around?  And yet again some terrible music choices.

I've been at work all day, so haven't had chance to post.

Georgia is firmly my favourite now … I don't like the Charleston, but she was great last night.  While I think Anita is doing really well, I'm not a fan of Gleb's choreography, in fact all of the ballroom dances suffered from looking too much like an American Smooth than whatever they were dancing.  I thought it was supposed to be maximum eight bar intro and eight bar ending, and all the rest should be in hold, but that seems to have gone out of the window over the last few years.  

Shame about the obvious mistake in Jay's routine, but can't believe it landed him seventh on the leader board, and didn't like the song choice for this one, or Jamelia's samba (which wasn't too bad, and better than Jeremy IMHO), Helen's tango (instantly forgettable and the dress did not suit her either - I found it distracting and remember the dress more than the dance), and don't even get me started on Kellie's samba.  I'm not alone, as I've seen loads of comments on Twitter about the poor song choices, including from former and current professionals … Kristina was at home sick this week, and even she tweeted about the songs!

I agree about the dry ice, Madeleine - way too much at the beginning for Peter, but it did seem to clear as they started dancing around the floor, and with that and the camera work, I could barely see his footwork for the first 30 seconds!  I loved this song choice, and also Katie's rumba which wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting, but she did pick her feet up too much but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm not the fan of Jeremy that I know lots of people are, nothing against him personally and I don't dislike him, but I don't particularly like Karen's choreography and he's definitely the worst celebrity left, and I'd like to see him go this week, but I can't see that happening.  I suspect Jamelia will go tonight and again, I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see her get one more dance, and would prefer to see her at Blackpool than the car crash of a routine that will include Jeremy "flying".   I like it when they go to Blackpool, but I wish that meant it was the most traditional week of the series, with no props, no extra dancers, and just pure dance on the floor, but I know that's never going to happen anymore.

Apart from Helen and Kellie's dresses, I thought the dresses were beautiful last night.  Katie and Janette's both looked stunning, with Janette just pipping it for the dress of the night.  Not quite sure why so many of the ballroom dances require shirt and waistcoat nowadays instead of proper tails … but nice to see Peter in the full tail suit.

I haven't watched the dance-off yet (Peter's out so we'll watch when he gets back) so I don't know who's gone.  If Jeremy is in the dance-off then it will definitely be him.  I've quite enjoyed laughing at him but I think it's time for him to go now.

The Charleston was great last night.   :)

Overall, I thought it a bit of a non-descript week with very little in the way of stand-out moments. Some more really odd music choices - someone on the show needs to get their head in gear, because if the music isn't right, the dance won't work even half as well.

I think Georgia must be about favourite to win at this point -her Charlsetsone was fabulous, and such a great choice of music (I'm a HUGE Chicago fan, btw!).

Such a shame about Jay's little stumble, because until then, he was doing magnificently, and I think it knocked him a little, even though he recovered well.

I wasn't surprised at the bottom two, and agree that, much as I loved Jeremy, it was time for him to go. That said, I think it'll most likely be Jamelia's turn to leave next week, as she's definitely the weakest of those left. After that, it'll get way tougher to call.

I was thinking the same as Kell, the dance off was fairly predictable and I think Jamelia will probably go next week.

I agree that Kevin and Kellie's costumes were hideous, and like Craig I was in two minds about the routine (and choice of music!) and wouldn't have been surprised if they'd been in the dance off again, but they managed to be good enough to get away with it t his week.

I wasn't that impressed with Helen's tango either, pretty non-descript.

But once all the good dancers are left I think there will be some shock departures.