Strictly Come Dancing

poppyshake

Helen and Aljaz were far and away the best this week, I thought.  Kellie and Kevin's jive and Jay's Paso were both great.  I've come up with a cunning plan: someone injure Aliona so that Joanne or Nat can take her place, then I'll be okay with Jay winning :giggle2:

I think it's been so long since Anton's been able to dance properly that he's forgotten what he's supposed to do and how to teach someone to do it :doh:

And what was going on with Bruno?!  The bull's what?    :o  :lol:  :lol:

Bruno's been getting on my tits all season :banghead:   I hope he got a serious, erm, bollocking afterwards.  Had to laugh when Craig told him he was being nasty . . . then gave a 4 himself :lol:

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit, although I laughed at the language, his comments to Jeremy made me really uncomfortable.  And he has been getting worse over the season.  I was discussing it with a friend and we reckon he's on cocaine to keep him going and it's changing his personality.  

He probably kept Carol and Jeremy in by getting them sympathy votes.

Goodness - I can't possibly compete with you guys and your analysis - I'm almost too scared to post!    :lurker:

I love Strictly, but I don't really know anything about the technicality of the dances.  For a start I adore the Charleston, which I know is a no-no among most fans. I also love Halloween week.  I watch purely to be entertained so I don't care if they have props or if they dance to something non-traditional as long as I'm entertained. :D

Surely Jeremy can't stay in much longer. Although I'm not hating him half as much as I expected to, and at least he's trying.  There aren't many men left. I thought Peter was a dead cert for the finals, but I think the last man standing will be Jay.  I'd be happy for him to win - or Helen.  :)

Before I go, I will just say that I'm beyond happy that the Mr-I-can't-dance-without-pulling-idiotic-faces-like-a-gurning-idiot has gone - hurrah!  :exc::boogie:

*runs*  :out:

I watched Jay's dance again last night and there were actually a couple of small errors, some hand movements were a bit flappy, but it was still the best dance of the night.  I didn't think Peter's rumba was very good, he hardly seemed to do anything.  My favourite Paso was the one that Artem did with Fern Britton - don't ask me what Fern was doing but I couldn't take my eyes off him ;) !

I like the Charleston, I think it's a fun dance and still love Kelly's Star Wars take on it from the other week.

I have to say I am not looking forward to Halloween week I don't like all the dressing up, prefer to see the girls in their nice dresses and glitter dressed smartly so that I can take in the dances that they are doing.  I am not up on all the technical stuff but I know when I see them dancing what I like and don't like.

Kelly's dance this week I thought was far too quick could not keep up with them.  Anton as you say I thought was not pushing his dancer (just my opinion).  I love a good Paso with decent music, think it is a brilliant dance, I like all the drama that goes with it.

I think the paso is my favourite too, along with the tango and Argentine Tango, can't wait to see Jay do that one!

I like Halloween week but hope the costumes don't get in the way like they did on Movie Week, with the dancers getting caught up or weighed down by them.

Goodness - I can't possibly compete with you guys and your analysis - I'm almost too scared to post!    :lurker:

I love Strictly, but I don't really know anything about the technicality of the dances.  For a start I adore the Charleston, which I know is a no-no among most fans. I also love Halloween week.  I watch purely to be entertained so I don't care if they have props or if they dance to something non-traditional as long as I'm entertained. :D

You don't need to compete, Janet … I know I take it far too seriously!!! :lol: At the end of the day, it's a light entertainment show, and if I wanted to see "proper" dancing I should go to the professional dancing competitions, but I just stick to Strictly ;)

My main problem with the charleston (and the salsa and the Argentine tango - which I actually adore, so it's like cutting off my nose to spite my face) is that it's not a dance the professional dancers have trained in themselves, so they have to rely on outside choreographers and teachers, which means they can't choreograph to help their celebs, but the charleston seems to be worse for me in that they nearly all look the same. The only one that's every really stood out was Sophie Ellis-Bextor's a couple of years ago that was fantastic, and that was because she actually looked up the history of the dance and insisted on an authentic dance rather than the comedy routine it has become on Strictly, but I appreciate that we all have different tastes, and that we can't all like the same dances, and as far as entertainment goes, the Strictly Charleston definitely brings a sense of fun to the occasion.

There are times when non-traditional can work brilliantly - in fact, one of my favourite paso doble's was years ago, and Letitia Dean and Darren Bennett danced it to Live and Let Die - but it's when the song doesn't suit the style of dance I find a problem. It must make it much harder for the celebrities too, as they're being taught to dance to a song that doesn't have the right mood, the right drama or even the right rhythm for what they're trying to learn.

I think the programme has suffered from the meh's a bit this year because of the dance order - instead of spreading the good dancers throughout the night, they seem to keep saving them all for the end of the programme, so if feels like you're sitting through a lot of ok-ish dances before getting to the good stuff.

Surely Jeremy can't stay in much longer. Although I'm not hating him half as much as I expected to, and at least he's trying.  There aren't many men left. I thought Peter was a dead cert for the finals, but I think the last man standing will be Jay.  I'd be happy for him to win - or Helen.  :)

Before I go, I will just say that I'm beyond happy that the Mr-I-can't-dance-without-pulling-idiotic-faces-like-a-gurning-idiot has gone - hurrah!  :exc::boogie:

*runs*  :out:

Agreed on all counts! :D I'd like to see Anita and Katie get close to the end of the series too, as they seem to have both embraced it all brilliantly. :)

There were some errors in Jay's dance .. just small ones though and I didn't think anyone was without errors. It's the dance I'm watching back the most anyway  :D (anyhow, I'm glad of the errors as WHEN he gets to the final the judges can ask for that one again and not the bloomin' QS!) I don't like themed weeks much but prefer Halloween to movie week (or Blackpool week) because it's always a little bit bonkers. I wonder what song Jay & Aliona are going to dance to with their Red Riding Hood and the wolf theme? Curious! Hope he gets a good wolf makeover and that it's nothing like Kevin's wolf makeover from a few years back which was shockingly awful!

Yes a Jay AT is a very exciting prospect!!!! :giggle: 

Really sad for Nat on last night's ITT .. I think she is amazing. My fave female pro (and fave pro) by a mile. Please God let her get a contender next year.

Was pleasantly surprised by Joanne Clifton in Choregraphy Corner .. felt I learnt a lot more than when Karen does it. I understand Kristina is doing it this evening to critique the latin dances. I'm liking this change though I guess it's only temporary. Karen .. who was once my favourite pro .. is just too annoying now sadly. Like a caricature of her former self .. not helped by Zoe egging her on. When she gets up to give us a demo there's a ridiculous amount of showboating. 

I hope nothing does happen to Aliona as the partnership works. I can't see Jay with Joanne .. it wouldn't be the same and that's who he'd get if Aliona pulled out for any reason. Nope .. Aliona must remain fit and healthy! :D Wrap her in cotton wool someone!

I was just kidding about being scared to post - I hope I didn't offend anyone.  :)

I agree with the order thing, Claire.  It's such a shame.

Kay - is there something potentially wrong with Aliona?  :o  I hope she's okay.

I totally agree about Karen - she really gets under my skin.  It was lovely to see Joanne last night.  Shame it's only a temporary thing.  Karen comes across as far too smug.

I was just kidding about being scared to post - I hope I didn't offend anyone.  :)

Not at all, I just know how over the top I can get … I have to limit myself when I post as I could go on (and on, and on) for hours! :lol:

I think Kay was referring to a comment Steve made earlier, saying that he didn't want Aliona to be the first professional to win the competition twice, and that if she had to pull out for any reason, Natalie could take over dancing with Jay, and then we might see Nat win.

I agree with the order thing, Claire.  It's such a shame.

Kay - is there something potentially wrong with Aliona?  :o  I hope she's okay.

I totally agree about Karen - she really gets under my skin.  It was lovely to see Joanne last night.  Shame it's only a temporary thing.  Karen comes across as far too smug.

Glad you've joined us Janet :hug: Re: dancing .. I haven't a clue what I'm on about .. armchair expert is all  :blush2::D My critique of every couple should be prefaced by ....  'much better than I could do anyway!' :D 

Claire's right .. I was just speculating about something Steve said. He wants to nobble Aliona!!  :o  ;):D

Kristina was also good tonight .. would be quite happy for them to continue with this format but they won't :( 

Kevin as Harry Potter! It had to happen! :D

Some of the song choices seem weird. Not very Halloweeny but I guess they can create a mood with make up and costume etc. Also Thriller .. for a salsa!?! What twit thought of that? :D 

Claire's right .. I was just speculating about something Steve said. He wants to nobble Aliona!!  :o  ;):D

Yeah.  My latest plan involves tripping her up and then them drafting in Flackers to dance with Jay.  That way I get to watch more Flackers and - well, everything else is irrelevant, frankly  :giggle2:

Kristina was also good tonight .. would be quite happy for them to continue with this format but they won't :(

Can't stand her, either, but she was better than that awful Hardy person  :banghead:

Yeah.  My latest plan involves tripping her up and then them drafting in Flackers to dance with Jay.  That way I get to watch more Flackers and - well, everything else is irrelevant, frankly  :giggle2:

:o:D Although the thought of Flackers and Jay freestyling is a charming one .. it really would be car crash. More car crash than Anton's Latin :D You wouldn't notice .. you'd be looking at Flackers legs but Vicky Gill would be on hand to thwart you :D 

Jay needs Aliona's capable hands/arms.

Can't stand her, either, but she was better than that awful Hardy person  :banghead:

Poor Kristina :( .. she's lovely. Yes .. I liked her better too but if they took over the role they'd probably end up being just as silly as Karen .. what was all that ridiculous potion nonsense we had this evening on ITT? God!! Give me strength .. if you're going to stretch the programme to an hour then put it to good use. Marian Keyes was shamefully underused .. and for what? .. Biggins in his bl**dy buggy (though .. lovely opportunity to see Jay :D) Karen Hardy making potions .. Anton in a dance off with a mummy (hands up all those that knew the mummy would be able to dance? Yep .. all of you :D) .. and Brendan being mummified with toilet roll. 

I'm not a killjoy I hope ( :unsure:) but God! 

Not enough on wardrobe this week (and I didn't enjoy Rav's take on it either) but I must say .. Anita is going to look fab-u-lous! She gets all the best make overs! Probably cos she's very open to it. Good song too .. can see all that working marvellously.

Fingers crossed for Jay and his wolfie theme .. hope make up do a good job and not a variation on the kid's party face painting job Brendan and Kirsty had in movie week. NO TAILS either please !!! We've had enough disasters :D 

Agreed! The dances that could have been really good (Anita, Georgia, Helen, Jay) were spoilt by the theme for me, and OH and I both felt that all the dances seemed too short - I think it was too much faffing around trying to tell the story and the beginning of the dances, but as soon as the actual dancing got going, it was over.

Think the leader board was right though, and I think Carol might actually end up in the dance off this week, and probably with Kirsty.

Helen and Aljaz were my favourites again, loved their dance, and thought Georgia and Giovanni were very good, too.  The rest ranged between 'meh' and 'bloody awful'.  Really hope Kirsty goes this week, she is painful to watch.

I can't even go to the effort of critiquing the dances .. I would just be writing the same thing over and over. I didn't really enjoy anyone that much but at a push .. Georgia, Jay and Helen.
All the theming drives me mad .. and it got in the way of so many dances (I agree Claire .. some of the dances seemed far too short because of all the faffing!) and then there were the songs which ranged from unsuitable to dire! Most of them looked under rehearsed too .. probably because they make them do a lot of ridiculous promo's etc. I can't wait for this week .. normal service will hopefully resume.
Last year's Halloween was much better I thought with some really strong performances. This year it fell flat.
Darcey looked great in her wig! :D That's about the most positive thing I can say about it :D 

Edited by poppyshake

Yep Darcey looked lovely in that wig, really suited her. 

The first two dances were truly terrible - Kirsty and Carol - who will probably both be in the dance-off; in fact most of them were either great or hopeless and after those two I was beginning to despair of seeing anything decent; best ones as usual were Jay, Kelly and Helen - I'm afraid I can't remember any of the others!  And some of the music choices again... I always thought of Phantom of the Opera as more of a tango than the paso, although School's out just about worked, loved the Harry Potter theme although I did find the table bits a bit of a distraction.  Probably not the best Halloween episode, although great costumes and make-up.

Having watched the results show I was reminded of more of the music choices - yep I thought Thriller was an odd choice for a salsa, and the Time Warp a strange one for Jamelli's dance - I kept expecting them to go the actual Time Warp!  Thought she danced better in the dance-off but Kirsty was the right one to go, although Carol should have been in the d-o with her.  Loved Anita's Maleficient costume as well.

I think the paso is my favourite too, along with the tango and Argentine Tango, can't wait to see Jay do that one!

I like Halloween week but hope the costumes don't get in the way like they did on Movie Week, with the dancers getting caught up or weighed down by them.

Argentine Tango is the favourite in our house - can't wait to see Jay do that one - HOT!!!

I usually LOVE Halloween week (I just adore Halloween full stop, so I get a bit excited!), but overall, I found this year's rather disappointing...

Katie & Anton - Paso Doble - Phantom of the Opera

What a mess! I think it's right what was said earlier in the thread - Anton has been stuck with the duffers for so long, he's forgotten how to do it, He's also better with the ballroom over the Latin dances, and the slower the better. This PD was just awful from start to finish.

Kirsty & Brendan - Charleston - Bad Romance

I love this version of the song (very Post Modern Jukebox, who I adore!), but this dance just wasn't all that. I didn't enjoy it at all. To be honest, I really don't like Kirsty much - she's so po-faced all the time.

Jeremy & Karen - Salsa - Thriller

Let's be honest, Jeremy can't dance, but he's very entertaining to watch. I've never liked the guy, but I've warmed to him significantly through Strictly. This wasn't a great dance for him, but he is actually improving a little. I don't think he'll last much longer in the competition, but there is still at least one dancer in the pack who is worse than him, so he might last another week or two yet.

Anita & Gleb - Waltz - Once Upon A Dream

This. Was. AWESOME! I've never seen such a dramatic waltz! The only problem for me was the under-arm stuff, as the horns got in the way, but there were some seriously fabulous moves in there and they danced it very well indeed. This was probably my favourite dance of the night!

Jamelia & Tristan - Jive - Time Warp

This wasn't all that bad, to be honest I don't really rate Jamelia, but she didn't deserve to be in the dance off, and the moment Bruno said that on Sunday night, I knew that whoever went up against her was going out. Not brilliant - she's not the greatest dancer - but again, she is improving bit by bit.

Jay & Aliona - American Smooth - Li'l Red Riding Hood

I'm not a huge fan of the American Smooth, but I really enjoyed this. I couldn't believe these were Jay's first lifts, but he did them so well. I LOVE watching him dance, and freely admit that every week, I wish it was me up there dancing with him. And he looks SO much better since he cut his hair. I think I'm actually developing rather a crush on him! Aliona is a great choreographer, and I love that she has a capable dancer partner to let her showcase her abilities.

Kellie & Kevin - Paso Doble - Hedwig's Theme/School's Out

I really didn't enjoy this one at all - far too stompy with lots of clambering about on tables rather than focusing on actually dancing. A shame, because Kellie is very good, and she's well-matched with Kevin (who is one of my favourites of the pro dancers). The character concept didn't work for me here either.

Carol & Pasha - Rhumba - I Think I Love You

I really don't like the rhumba - it's a nothingy dance and there are precious few who do it well. Carol is not a good dancer and this was pretty bad. It deserved the very low score, although I think the judges are being harsher this ear than they were last year. I really thought she'd be in the dance off this week, but her popularity saved her once again. It can't last much longer though.

Georgia & Giovanni - Tango - Ghostbusters

This pair are seriously good together, and the choreography here was pretty damned good, as was the execution. I can see them going all the way to the final with ease.

Peter & Janette - Foxtrot - Ghost

The foxtrot is a difficult dance, but I thought Peter handled it rather well. He really needs to change things up a bit though, so I think doing the charleston next week will give him ample opportunity to do that. I expect to be wowed next week!

Helen & Aljaž - Samba - Take Your Mama

I loved how this began, with the twitchy, stiff mummy movements that then ground down into the samba. Great choreography and an accomplished performance.

DANCE OFF:

I  really thought it would be Carol and Kirsty in the dance off (I get the feeling Katie isn't very popular - I certainly don't like her much), so I was surprised when Jamelia faced her THIRD dance off, when it was so undeserved! When they did their dances again, I thought Jamelia did better and deserved to go through, but Kirsty made LOADS of mistakes and danced half-heartedly at best, not completing moves or giving any flow. She knew she was going out and was p*ssed off about it, but she was the one who deserved to go out of the two in the dance off. I'm not surprised she was visibly angry though, as Carol should really have been out this week - she was dire!

Once Carol, Jeremy and Jamelia are out it's going to get much tougher to call it!

Well as I expected a dire night on Saturday, there were a few half good dances but I think the clothes and the make up get in the way, I try to look at the dance but feel the outfits get in the way and the make up you cannot see their facial expressions.

I also thought carol should have been in the dance off with Kirsty, I have stopped feeling sorry for Jamelia as this is not the first time she has said that nobody likes her, I thought she would get more votes with being on Loose Women or maybe this is telling her a lot. Hope she goes soon.

I have stopped feeling sorry for Jamelia as this is not the first time she has said that nobody likes her

She's not wrong, though  :D

We're due a shock exit, I think.  Hasn't been one so far, and I suspect Carol and Jeremy are going to be around for a while yet :unsure: