Tennis

supergran71

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, it's probably down to her.  Do you remember if she made the noise when she first appeared on the scene?

ETA: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/02/maria-sharapova-surprisingly-is-against-grunting-in-tennis/

" The four-time grand slam winner told Reuters her grunts were a habit formed when she first started playing tennis."

Thankfully, Heather Watson .. who also trained at Bolletieri's doesn't make that noise. She's too British! :D People from Guernsey just couldn't do it!! :lol:

I agree with Martina .. it's cheating. It's off putting, distracting and intimidatory.

Blimey, she just started playing on BBC Two, but fortunately, I can switch over to BBC One and it's Djokovic v Tomic … much better! (Although, I could do with a bit less bouncing the ball before every serve  :roll:)

I can't watch her either. Agree about the ball bouncing but the one that really drives me up the wall .. with all his pre-serve rituals .. is Nadal! Does my head in. Thankfully I won't have to worry about that now (and what a player Dustin Brown is .. I love him!!)

Didn't she do well?! Such a shame..  :(

Yes, such a shame! And she could have won it so that's so disappointing for her. When you get that close .. I'm sure you just must kick yourself afterwards. It'll take her a few days to realise how great an achievement it was just to push Serena that close. 

What a nail biting match though .. worthy of watching on Henman Hill :D

Thankfully, Heather Watson .. who also trained at Bolletieri's doesn't make that noise. She's too British! :D People from Guernsey just couldn't do it!! :lol:

Speaking as someone whose family is from Guernsey, of course we couldn't! :lol:

I thought she did splendidly well :D

Agree about the ball bouncing but the one that really drives me up the wall .. with all his pre-serve rituals .. is Nadal!

Left ear, forehead, nose, right ear, shorts out of arse crack.  Right, I'm ready to serve.  Just need to bounce the ball eight times, hang on a minute or so.

:giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I'm already a fan of Petra .. great game, nice girl and no grunting but this pic .. taken a couple of days ago as she waited for her first match on Centre Court (with a caption saying reading is one of her fave ways to relax) .. has endeared her to me further :D

What do you make of the BBC2 highlights programme with Clare Balding? I'm not enjoying it much .. it's too trivia based and there's not nearly enough tennis. They go on about beards and twitter accounts and whatnot. I couldn't give three hoots about John Inverdale (and Marion is determined to make him eat his words .. she looked wowzer the other night :D) but this isn't the way to go imo.

We have every right to be proud of Heather but I do hate the way they try and wring every bit of praise they can .. re British players .. from the pundits. And they're nearly all lukewarm about it as a result :D  

post-5612-0-10048100-1435957499_thumb.jpg

Speaking as someone whose family is from Guernsey, of course we couldn't! :lol:

:lol: Of course not! I expect Guernsey was going mad this afternoon/evening! I think I could hear them :D

Left ear, forehead, nose, right ear, shorts out of arse crack.  Right, I'm ready to serve.  Just need to bounce the ball eight times, hang on a minute or so.

:giggle2:

:D God! It is just so irritating and also off putting .. probably as much as grunting. 

Well .. that put the Poppyshake curse on Petra!! :D:blush2:  :blush2: Cannot see anyone now in the women's draw that I'd like to see win. I don't know that much about some of them so perhaps will change my mind as the week goes on (woe betide them :D

Shame to lose Dustin Brown and James Ward too but well done Andy!! Though .. bit of a scare with the injury time out etc!

Kay strikes again!  :lol:   Not bothered about Kvitova getting knocked out, but you put the kiss of death on Sabine as well  :o  :(   :giggle2:

Can you support Williams and Djokovic from now on please?  And Federer as well, if it keeps you happy   :D  :giggle2:

The powers that be would know my heart wasn't in it :D But hoping against hope that someone gets rid of Serena, Novak and Roger .. not the same someone obviously. That would be a super human!! :D

Come on all the underdogs!!!! 

I don't like Aggie either .. or Maria and Victoria (Aggie .. bad sportsman .. the other two .. grunters!!) Was hoping Caroline Wozniacki might go through .. but no .. that put paid to her too :blush2: 

Extraordinary behaviour from Nick Kyrgios today!! Tanking a game!!  :o He needs to grow up!! 

I would like to see some new blood coming through, I think the best hope of putting Novak Djokovic out this year was Kevin Anderson and I have just seen the result for that one, of well there is next year.

I have found that everytime I want someone to get beaten it doesent happen might have to try some reverse phycology.

I would like to see some new blood coming through, I think the best hope of putting Novak Djokovic out this year was Kevin Anderson and I have just seen the result for that one, of well there is next year.

I have found that everytime I want someone to get beaten it doesent happen might have to try some reverse phycology.

I so thought Novak was going out...wish they didn't have to stop last night...grrrr. Anderson so nearly managed it.

Didn't she do well?! Such a shame.. :(

Serena was very sporting in her interview after too. Heather could go far in the future, I believe she is only 21?

I thought Serena was very sporting too in her interview saying how Heather should have won the game.

Heather did amazing didn't she...I was watching it on my own and yelling at the telly....if she had managed to get that 4th game in the last set I'm sure she had the beating of her. I'm sure her time will come further on down the line. She can only getting stronger.

I have been enjoying the men's tennis though, and as per usual Andy takes a tough route in one of the games. See how he gets on tomorrow....(well I hope !) I hope it is just a 3 setter...! I watched the end of the doubles with Jamie Murray last night and tonight...they have done so well too knocking it previous winners.

We had a bit of a blip with the coverage up here today though in Aberdeen (we have a Sky dish) and the signal went as we were having monsoon weather on and off all afternoon.

Serena seems to get off to a slow burn at the moment, she has been losing the first set a few times but keeps plugging away until she wins, which proves why she is still number one in the world

I too thought Heather was brilliant maybe a force to be reckoned with in the future.

Andy Murray again today will keep fingers crossed for him, and his brother through to the semi's in the doubles.

Serena is a superb athlete .. I doubt anyone can touch her in her present form. I don't quite believe the stuff she comes out with in interviews though .. she's always hiding behind a facade (or so it seems to me) .. she says the things that she thinks the interviewer/audience want to hear but she gives nothing away. There's no getting to know her. The other day she said that Venus was in better shape than her .. McEnroe just snorted when he heard that!! 
I don't like her demeanour on court either .. she always looks extremely p*ssed off and sort of plods from one position to the next between points. Most of all she doesn't look happy to be there .. she says she's enjoying herself and she must be but there's hardly ever any sign of it.
Hats off to her though .. she is such a force to be reckoned with and to do it for as long as she has is nothing short of phenomenal. 
Can't get excited about the women's semi finals though .. everyone I didn't want to get through did (and vice versa) !!!! :D :D :D

Roger looks so comfortable out there .. bit worried about how Andy will do against him. Hope he can ruffle his headband a bit and make him lose his rag (I've seen that happen and it was interesting.) It may be mean but I don't want him to wear that gold trimmed suit with the big 18 on it that I know is hiding in his kit bag! :D Please let there not be rain delays!! Djokovic will be as pleased as anything that Gasquet got through and not Wawrinka (I imagine) .. I will be cheering on Gasquet (sorry Richard :blush2: ) but .. on current form .. you wouldn't bet against Novak reaching another final.

Ideal result .. Murray vs Gasquet for the final! Probable result Federer vs Djokovic!!

Much prefer the highlights programme now! Vast improvement and I love Marion Bartoli .. more of her please and less Tracy Austin!! 

Serena is a superb athlete .. I doubt anyone can touch her in her present form. I don't quite believe the stuff she comes out with in interviews though .. she's always hiding behind a facade (or so it seems to me) .. she says the things that she thinks the interviewer/audience want to hear but she gives nothing away. There's no getting to know her. The other day she said that Venus was in better shape than her .. McEnroe just snorted when he heard that!! 

Sadly this is becoming all to common with a lot of athletes, male and female as they are coached to not hurt their image. It leads to insipid interviews from people who are actually probably very interesting and we don't get to see their real character.

Sadly this is becoming all to common with a lot of athletes, male and female as they are coached to not hurt their image. It leads to insipid interviews from people who are actually probably very interesting and we don't get to see their real character.

I know and I do understand the necessity for it (or why they think there's a necessity for it) but I'd much rather have an unguarded (rude and obnoxious :D) character like McEnroe (in his hey day) than someone like Serena who's too polished and coached.

She played great today and I was rooting for her (Serena is so good that even the curse of Poppyshake can't touch her :D) .. I just can't stand the screeching from Sharapova. Very happy that Muguruza got through :cows: .. the (majority of the) crowd will be backing her on Sunday!! I don't think anyone can get near to Serena (though Heather Watson did of course) but hopefully Muguruza will play to the best of her ability. Please let her not do a 'Lisicki'!!  :blush2: 

I know and I do understand the necessity for it (or why they think there's a necessity for it) but I'd much rather have an unguarded (rude and obnoxious :D) character like McEnroe (in his hey day) than someone like Serena who's too polished and coached.

I agree 100%, sport need characters even the ones that are not the nicest people in the world.

I agree 100%, sport need characters even the ones that are not the nicest people in the world.

Sorry Brian, I will take issue with that. I have had my fill of sport's stars that have egos as big as their drug habits.

Politeness is something that should be taught to all athletes. :)

I'm all for 'characters' in sport but I think those days are long gone. Times have changed, one unguarded throw away comment, taken out of context, can hound them for the rest of their career. If I were a top level tennis player/athlete i'd fix on my interview smile and get on with trying to win something. Why give Journalist low-life ammunition?

I'm all for 'characters' in sport but I think those days are long gone. Times have changed, one unguarded throw away comment, taken out of context, can hound them for the rest of their career. If I were a top level tennis player/athlete i'd fix on my interview smile and get on with trying to win something. Why give Journalist low-life ammunition?

But you can still be polite and sincere (someone like Lindsay Davenport, Petra Kvitova, Tim Henman) without resorting to just platitudes and you can still be a Dustin Brown thank God! I admire Marion Bartoli too .. she'd not phased by awkward questions and rubbish jornalism .. she meets it head on and quashes it. Martina Navratilova is another who just said what she thinks .. not always popular but you know where you are with her. 

Serena calls all the shots (literally) .. nobody is allowed to mention the Serena Slam to her .. and if someone does then they're regarded as an idiot and yet it it a perfectly reasonable question .. it's not as if they're asking her about her nail varnish (which .. unfortunately .. is the sort of question she's far more likely to want to answer.) She's only had to field those questions since winning the second slam. Imagine if she'd been Andy Murray or Tim Henman? (or any British player)  .. having to answer questions about when a British man was ever going to win Wimbledon again (thankfully Andy has shut them up for the time being .. but we've had years and years and years of that.)

Also I don't think we've had a satisfactory answer to what happened with Serena during that doubles match last year when she behaved in a way I've seen no tennis player do ever! It's Serena .. so all the doors are slammed.

It's a shame when the human factor goes out of it. I don't want to watch machines .. but that's increasingly what's happening.  

Serena dodging questions is not an issue for me, I don't care. I'd be bored with the same 3 questions every interview too. I'm more interested in seeing some personality and character that doesn't just involve making a fist and growling ( Murray) and some good natured sarcasm/humour when interviewed. Hopefully some new blood will come along soon and dare show their true colours without getting berated by the media and public as soon as they do/say something that doesn't suit.