Diane's Reading List 2015

Inver

I'm glad you liked this one :). Great review!

I plan to read at least a few more of Diane Chamberlain's books this year, though I haven't yet decided which ones, out of the ones I own, exactly as they all sound good. I'll see how I feel when I'm picking one up, see which one intruiges me the most or such.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad you enjoyed 'Secrets' Diane, how many of hers have you read now? I still have more to read but I'm DC'd out at the mo and need a change so I've not even put the titles in my Book Box. I may add a couple later in a few months.

What books are next on your reading pile? :)

I'm glad you liked this one :). Great review!

I plan to read at least a few more of Diane Chamberlain's books this year, though I haven't yet decided which ones, out of the ones I own, exactly as they all sound good. I'll see how I feel when I'm picking one up, see which one intruiges me the most or such.

Which ones  have you read?

I'm so glad you enjoyed 'Secrets' Diane, how many of hers have you read now? I still have more to read but I'm DC'd out at the mo and need a change so I've not even put the titles in my Book Box. I may add a couple later in a few months.

What books are next on your reading pile? :)

I have read 5 now Hayley...and thanks to you for the introduction....and please let me know if you want 'Secrets' back to follow on from 'Storm...did you read it?

Midwife's Confession

Good Father

Bay at Midnight

Before the Storm

Secrets She Left Behind.

Can now get on with 'Cauldstane' and then will see what I have listed on my TBR pile here (at the beginning of the post) and Goodreads, and see what come in the First Book Club meeting, via The Bookshop Café on Goodreads...have you not signed up for that Hayley?

No need to send it back, I wasn't so taken with 'Storm' so will try another of hers when the time comes.  I've not joined the Goodreads book club as I really don't want to have to get any more books at present.. I suppose I could join and hope one I have comes up! :)

Which ones  have you read?

I've read six so far:

The Midwife's Confession

The Good Father

Brass Ring

Breaking the Silence

The Shadow Wife (also known as Cypress Point)

The Silent Sister

I enjoyed them all, though some slightly more than others. I haven't read any of her books yet that are a series, but I plan to read at least a few more this year.

• 2 weeks later...

'The Husband's Secret' by Liane Moriarty

As this book had mixed reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. On starting it I found there were a lot of characters to take on board and it was jumping around quite a lot, which was annoying, but on continuing something significant happened and it drew me in and the pace picked up and I was page turning.

Cecilia and her family, she finds a letter only to be opened on the death of her husband, she tells him she has found it but not read it...what does the letter contain? Tess, who thinks she is in a happy marriage finds out her husband supposedly loves another. Rachel, has to come to terms that her beloved little grandson, with her son and daughter-in-law could be moving to New York.

Eventually all the characters intermingle and we find out how they are linked, with secrets of the past and an unresolved murder of Janie...who did it?

I'm glad I persevered with this book and I did enjoy the epilogue and all the 'if only'....I can't tell you anymore without giving something away.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...

'The Girl Who Couldn't Smile' by Shane Dunphy

Shane Dunphy writes about his experiences as a child protection officer. He is asked to go and help manage 'Little Scamps' crèche, who have children with emotional and physical disabilities. The book is about how he works with the staff to try and bring the children together and make it a better environment for them all to be in. Each child presents him with a different challenge, but slowly things improve thanks to an idea given to him by 'Gus' and his 'magic blue crayon'.

Very easy to read book and certainly gives you an incite into children with special additional needs.

3/5

Have you got/read The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain, Diane?  If not then can I send you a copy?  I was going to take it to a charity shop (I've had it on my 'to read' pile for a long time but it's not really my cup of tea), but if you haven't got it then I'd rather pass it on than donate it. :)

Excellent - I'm glad it'll be going to a good home.   :)

I haven't read your PM yet (don't delete it!!) because I won't actually be able to post it until next week so I want the red PM reminder to stay at the top of the forum as a reminder.  If I haven't posted it by the middle of next week, please do prod me - I've a head like a sieve sometimes!  :giggle2:

'Love Anthony' by Lisa Genova

Having read 'Still Alice', which I loved, and 'Left Neglected', I thought this would be on a par with them, but I was slightly disappointed. Given the subject matter to be about Anthony who is autistic I felt the story was definitely concentrating more on the two women, Olivia and Beth. Whereas her other two books focused more on the individual with the medical condition.

However it was a good read. Olivia and Beth don't know each other but are eventually brought together by the photographs Olivia takes of Beth and her girls. Olivia is asked by Beth if she would read over her manuscript for a novel she is writing...this brings them together in a way neither would have at all expected.

I did like how Lisa wrote about a possible theory of how Anthony's mind would work and sectioned into little rooms. That too may made quite a lot of sense of how autism could/may work. The final chapter was the best and totally written with sensitivity.

3.5/5

I have this book on my TBR, I bought it after someone from here mentioned it to me (was it you, Diane? I'm sorry I can't remember :( ). I'm glad you liked the book, though it is a little bit disappointing the focus wasn't more on Anthony.

I haven't read your PM yet (don't delete it!!) because I won't actually be able to post it until next week so I want the red PM reminder to stay at the top of the forum as a reminder.  If I haven't posted it by the middle of next week, please do prod me - I've a head like a sieve sometimes!  :giggle2:

I haven't forgotten about this, Diane - I just haven't got to the post office yet. :)

• 3 weeks later...

'The Memory Book' by Rowan Coleman

A touching and moving account of Claire and her family when she is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The idea of 'The Memory Book' is such a good one for someone and their loved ones to have to look back on when things can't be remembered properly. I especially found the last few chapters very moving when the book was coming to its conclusion. Not being sure how it was going to end it did not disappoint....and yes a tear or two flowed. Another read to pull at the heart strings. Well done Rowan Coleman.

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Elizabeth is Missing' by Emma Healey

Confused...yes that is how I found this book. It was well written and the story of Maud flips between present and past in each chapter, to which in some instances I found a bit annoying at times, as I was liking where the present narrative was going and then is suddenly flips back to the past.

I'm not quite sure what the outcome/conclusion of the book was as I couldn't remember who was doing what when at times. Maybe it was just me and perhaps I didn't take enough time to retain a lot of the mystery type plot.

I have experience of dealing with dementia, my dad had it, so could understand how it was affecting Maud and I did feel sorry for her, when nobody understood her when she kept saying about her friend,  'Elizabeth is missing'. I felt for Helen, her daughter too and can appreciate exactly how she was feeling at times. It was humorous in parts but also had me near to tears in others.

Give it a read though...don't let my review deter you from doing so.

3/5

I'm sorry you found it a struggle, Diane.  I really enjoyed it - the thing that did irritate me was

the way the police were portrayed in it. I found their lack of comprehension and the way they made light of Maud rather unconvincing.

• 2 weeks later...

'Cauldstane' by Linda Gillard

Finally finished. I did take a while to read this one, can't pinpoint why, but I did take a break from it half way through. However once I settled down to it again I enjoyed the second half slightly more than the first. Scottish castle, family curse, romance, unexplained deaths to family members and a ghost writer who comes to write the Laird of Cauldstane memoirs. Things unfold along the way for Jenny but she is troubled by the uneasy presence but can't pinpoint why.. something is determined to make her feel this way but why? I loved the castle and it stood out as a character in its own right...not the first castle she has made a main one of the main characters...well done again Linda. Definitely gives it some atmosphere and I enjoyed imagining what it looked like

I am open minded about the spiritual side of things so it made me uneasy at times. It was a good enough read but I have to say not my favourite of Linda's book, I have enjoyed others more.

4/5

Edited by Inver

• 3 weeks later...

'My Best Friend's Girl' by Dorothy Koomson

Easy read two best friends, or so they thought Kamryn and Adele, until Adele sleeps with Kamryn's fiancé Nate and gets pregnant. Their friendship comes to an end when Kamryn discovers the truth about Adele's daughter and who the father is.

Years on, Kamryn receives a letter from Adele asking her to come see are as she in hospital, where she discovers she is dying. She wants Kamryn to agree to adopt her daughter, Tegan, before she runs out of time. She eventually agrees, but comes with its ups and downs and adjusting to a new lifestyle. Two men also come in to here life, Luke her boss, whom she doesn't really get on with (but eventually sees another side to) and Nate comes back on the scene to (who she hasn't seen since the breakup).

Tegan, the little 5 year old is a lovely character and deals with the situations in a matter of fact sort of way, like children do. It was funny and sad too, dealing with grown up issues, death, grief, friendships, forgiveness and betrayal. It did drag on a little bit going to and fro with Kamryn trying to decide who she wanted to be with, but she got there in the end.

3.5/5

• 3 weeks later...

'Constance' by Rosie Thomas

Another enjoyable Rosie Thomas read. Two sisters, Connie a 'foundling' adopted by Jeanette's family. One man, Bill, who Connie falls in love with but unfortunately she cannot have as he is Jeanette's fiancé. There is betrayal and Connie departs and makes a life for herself elsewhere in Bali. Years later Jeanette contacts her to tell her she is dying. Connie knows she has to return to put things right between them. The added extra story of Noah, the son and Roxana (from Bokhara, Uzbekistan) was intriguing too, wasn't quite sure what the outcome of that was going to be, but in the end Roxana is the one that helps Connie in a round about way. I especially enjoyed the part when Roxana takes Connie to the 'hammam' and Connie experiences an overwhelming sensation of release of pain, anger and grief which helps her come to terms with what has gone on in her life.

A sensitively written book bringing things together between the past, present and forgiveness. I enjoyed the descriptions and rituals of the Balinese culture and the way it helped Connie, Jeanette and Bill come to terms with the inevitable.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...

'Gold' by Chris Cleave

As a sporty minded person I enjoyed the Olympic theme to this book. It isn't really about sport as such but three like minded athletes trying to win their way to gold medals in cycling and the ultimate 'gold' at Olympics 2012 London. It doesn't center around the games as such but how their lives link up through a coach, Tom. Hard training and dedication being a way of life. Jack, Katie and Zoe work hard to get to their dream, however life gets in the way...friendships and relationships are pushed to the limit. Parenthood comes in to the scenario too and a sick child, Sophie and how they have to deal with a life threatening illness.

I did enjoy this read....loved the insight into the hard training and endurance these athletes put themselves through to reach 'gold'...it doesn't always come true and it must be heart breaking. Strong, likeable characters and Chris Cleave I feel researched it well from the athletes point of view and Sophie's illness.

I have read 'The Other Hand' by Chris Cleave but this is a totally different read..

4/5

• 1 month later...

'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton

Phew...that was a big read but I got there in the end and overall and enjoyable one. The tale takes place over 1913, 1975 and 2005 and each chapter goes between each and the different characters, Nell, Eliza and Cassandra. Nell being the main character and who the mystery unfolds around, abandoned overseas in Australia but not remembering much about how she arrived there apart from 'the Authoress'. Who is she and why does she remember her? In time she travels back to England/Cornwall to find out the truth about who her parents were and hopefully why she was sent away, and buys a cottage. After her death Cassandra, Nell's granddaughter discovers she has inherited Cliff Cottage, which is in the grounds of Blackhurst Manor (where lies the Forgotten Garden). Will this uncover the mystery of the past gone by and answer the intriguing questions of her grandmother's past? I cannot divulge....you will have to read it to find the answers.

The chapters intertwined with the mystery and characters. A little twist towards the latter part of the book I wasn't expecting, but added to the storyline. All in all I good read, but I found it a little too long.

4/5