Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

Thankfully I have finished The Gathering - total tripe. Now getting on much better with The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

:haha:

I recently finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut which I thought was excellent, and I'm now going to make a start on Perfume by Patrick Suskind. I remember reading this in the past but I've never listed it down anywhere - Goodreads or otherwise. This means I either never finished it or I just forgot. I'm pretty sure I liked it so we'll see.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just picked up

If I Stay by Gayle Forman 

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and

The Giver by Lois Lowry 

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

on Amazon special for $2.99 each

and The Boy From Reactor 4 by Orest Stelmach for $1.99

:exc:

Well after seeing everyone's praise I've just found the kindle version of For Whom the Bell Tolls for 91c so I bought it. I enjoyed A Farewell to Arms and think that's the only Hemingway I've read previously.

I'm reading very slowly right now but I've just finshed The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman and I feel like I've found a great new author I can get into. I can't remember whether it was on Goodreads or Amazon but they had celebrity recommendations and Diana Gabaldon recommended one of Rickman's books. I've given up on Ms Gabaldon's books a few years ago but she is right about Phil Rickman - excellent.

In the post today from the lovely Hayley....the follow up book to 'Before the Storm' by Diane Chamberlain......'Secrets She Left Behind'.....look forward to reading this one...thank you very much my bookie friend.... :grinhat:

I've been busy cataloguing my new books today, but mainly I've been resting, I hope to post the list of new books tomorrow :). I haven't actually done much reading unfortunately.

Lots of you are reading interesting books, though, that's nice to read about :).

I just bought Katherine by Anya Seton, about Katherine Swynford and life in the 1300's.  Highly praised by my favorite Tudor Historian, Alison Weir, I am quite excited about it and it might be my next read.  (It is a Kindle daily deal for $1.99)

I just bought Katherine by Anya Seton, about Katherine Swynford and life in the 1300's.  Highly praised by my favorite Tudor Historian, Alison Weir, I am quite excited about it and it might be my next read.  (It is a Kindle daily deal for $1.99)

I read and loved Katherine many decades ago.  :)  Hope you do too. 

Edited by pontalba

I've decided the next book of my TBR is The Adventure of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. It's the first of any Twain's books I have read and I'm a little surprised that I didn't read it as a child.

I hope you enjoy it! I've not read it before either, the book is on my TBR.

It wouldn't be my sort of thing, but I hope you enjoy it when you read it :)!

In the post today from the lovely Hayley....the follow up book to 'Before the Storm' by Diane Chamberlain......'Secrets She Left Behind'.....look forward to reading this one...thank you very much my bookie friend.... :grinhat:

I hope you like this one :)!

I finished The Maze Runner. Thought the story was ok, but I don't think it was written particularly well.

Now I'm reading Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum. I bought this back in 2011, so it's high time I started reading it. :readingtwo:

Thankfully I have finished The Gathering - total tripe. Now getting on much better with The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

I loved The Woman in Black! So atmospheric. :)

I've decided the next book of my TBR is The Adventure of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. It's the first of any Twain's books I have read and I'm a little surprised that I didn't read it as a child.

I didn't read any of Twain's books as a child either. I wish I had. As an adult, I've now read Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer (I just read this recently), and I loved them both. I'm now a big fan of Mark Twain.

I finished The Maze Runner. Thought the story was ok, but I don't think it was written particularly well.

Now I'm reading Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum. I bought this back in 2011, so it's high time I started reading it. :readingtwo:

I totally agree with you on The Maze Runner.

Ooh, Broadmoor Revealed sounds fascinating! I'm off to look it up...

Just finished The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A. A. Logan....review over on my thread.  Great psychological thriller. 

Have started The Final Silence by Stuart Neville.  Excellent so far!

Edited by pontalba

A quick bit of intensive reading has seen me finish off both Cider with Rosie (not great - just 2*) and An Awfully Big Adventure (much better - 4*) this weekend, both books in the English Counties Challenge. Plan to move on to AS Byatt's Possession next - my 50th book of the year, and the earliest I've reached this landmark since starting keeping a record seven years ago.

Edited by willoyd

Reading The Martian by Andy Weir now. I went through my outstanding books from 2011 and 2012 but none of them appealed to me, so I picked one from 2013. :blink:

Oh, we both loved it!  I hope you do too. :D

Reading The Martian by Andy Weir now. I went through my outstanding books from 2011 and 2012 but none of them appealed to me, so I picked one from 2013. :blink:

It sounds scary- is it scary?  :hide:

Weir keeps the tension ramped up, but I don't think it was scary, even though the situation itself is a terrifying one.  The style of Weir's prose is matter of fact and humorous actually.  . The technical aspects are fascinating and told in a manner I could understand.....most of it. :D

Edited by pontalba

Just finished it - thought it was pretty good! The story went in a different direction than I was expecting

I thought there would be martians.

, but I was glad for that.

I wouldn't say it was scary, but like Pontalba says there is a lot of tension. It's a pretty riveting read and hard to put down - I finished it in less than a day.

Not sure what to read next. :thud:

Just finished it - thought it was pretty good! The story went in a different direction than I was expecting

I thought there would be martians.

, but I was glad for that.

I wouldn't say it was scary, but like Pontalba says there is a lot of tension. It's a pretty riveting read and hard to put down - I finished it in less than a day.

Not sure what to read next. :thud:

:giggle2:

So.  I'm now reading three books....The Final Silence by Stuart Neville, Lord John's Private Matter by Gabaldon, and the Robert Vaughn autobio that Ruth recommended a while back.  The Neville is great, but very intense so I switched to the Gabaldon, and today I picked up the Vaughn out of curiosity....all good books. :)