Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished 'The Christmas Wedding' and received in the post today 'Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe' ~ Jenny Colgan, with a swap via RISI. Hope this one makes the 'Christmassy' feeling better that the book I have just finished.

Debating up on starting a Neville Shute book or a pulp mystery tonight. I guess I'll see how the mood strikes me.

Funny you should mention Shute. I've just started Requiem For A Wren by him. A while back, when the Reading Circle discussed his On the Beach, poppy recommended Requiem..... I'm about 50 pages in and enjoying it!

Thanks poppy! :D

Funny you should mention Shute. I've just started Requiem For A Wren by him. A while back, when the Reading Circle discussed his On the Beach, poppy recommended Requiem..... I'm about 50 pages in and enjoying it!

Thanks poppy! :D

Nice! I'm about as far into An Old Captivity. I just grabbed a random Shute novel off the library shelf and ran with it. So far, so good.

I am not sure what is next, but I just started the introduction to A Time to Kill, I've never read a John Grisham book, so this will be the first.  I hope it isn't too heavy on the courtroom aspect, if it is I will be disappointed.

It's been a while since I read A Time To Kill, but I don't recall it being too heavy with the courtroom scenes. I hope you enjoy it; I think it's a pretty good choice for a first Grisham.

I finished Elsewhere yesterday, and that is definitely young adult, but it was still a nice read.

I'm glad to hear you liked Elsewhere :). I also quite liked it when I read it.

I'm currently about 20%, page 112 out of 485, of Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 2: The Rogue and am enjoying it. The plot thickens and all that.. it's quite good :).

It's been a while since I read A Time To Kill, but I don't recall it being too heavy with the courtroom scenes. I hope you enjoy it; I think it's a pretty good choice for a first Grisham.

Thanks and thanks!

Whew! The beginning! :o

I just finished reading For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. I will rate it 10 on a scale of 1 to 5......10/5. It was a wonderful read and ranks high on my list of books I have read.

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

I just finished reading For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. I will rate it 10 on a scale of 1 to 5......10/5. It was a wonderful read and ranks high on my list of books I have read.

It boggles the mind why I haven't got around to reading this yet, I have a strange premonition that it's a book I will absolutely love. It is, however, on the Amazon wish-list so we'll see if Christmas brings about any luck on that front...

Slow going with The Devil in the Marshalsea for me, but not through lack of enjoyment. I'm about 150 pages in and honestly, there's just something about the author's style that I love, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it so much. The only Hemingway book I've read so far is Old Man and the Sea which I really liked so I'm really looking forward to getting round to this.

It boggles the mind why I haven't got around to reading this yet, I have a strange premonition that it's a book I will absolutely love.

I'm in the same boat. I think I have it on my Kindle and even though I am sure that I will love it I still haven't got round to reading it yet.

This is really high praise, I'm so glad you liked it :).

920 pages into Shogun  :wacko:

How are you liking it so far?

I'm on page 311 out of 485 of Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 2: The Rogue, which is very enjoyable. I hope to finish it today but I might be too tired to read later on.

We did Pied Piper by Nevil Shute as a Reading Circle group book too, dtrpath27.  :)   They were both great - I definitely want to read some more. 

I'm still reading All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (I'm really enjoying it but I just haven't had much time to read).  I've only managed 33 of 667 pages of Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese which I'm meant to be discussing at Book Club next Monday.  I can't see me finishing it in time, which will be the first time ever I haven't finished a BC book in time for our meeting.  :(

I was hoping to read the book Kay sent me for Christmas before the end of the year, plus one another friend sent me, but I just don't see it happening. I feel bad about that as it's lovely to receive a gift and I feel ungrateful for not getting round to them.   :(

Oh dear - what a woeful post!

Edited by Janet

Finished Requiem For A Wren last night, loved it, review on my thread.  thanks again, poppy! :D

Started something by Margaret Atwood last night, Positron.  A series of novellas.  Interesting.  Bizarre. :)

I started to read Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell last night. I've only read the introductory chapters and the first chapter so far but I think I'll like it.

That sounds good! After really liking Animal Farm, I'm interested to see if George Orwell has written some other good books.

I'm still reading All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (I'm really enjoying it but I just haven't had much time to read).  I've only managed 33 of 667 pages of Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese which I'm meant to be discussing at Book Club next Monday.  I can't see me finishing it in time, which will be the first time ever I haven't finished a BC book in time for our meeting.  :(

I was hoping to read the book Kay sent me for Christmas before the end of the year, plus one another friend sent me, but I just don't see it happening. I feel bad about that as it's lovely to receive a gift and I feel ungrateful for not getting round to them.   :(

Oh dear - what a woeful post!

I'm sorry you've not got much time for reading :(. I'm glad you're enjoying the James Herriot book, it's on my TBR. I hope you'll have more time for reading soon, it can't be nice :(. I'm sure Kay will understand that you haven't got around to the book yet, and your other friend too if they are a good friend. 

Finished Requiem For A Wren last night, loved it, review on my thread.  thanks again, poppy! :D

Started something by Margaret Atwood last night, Positron.  A series of novellas.  Interesting.  Bizarre. :)

That was quick! I'm glad you liked it, I shall read the review! Nice to hear you're enjoying your next book so far, too :).

Meant to add that I loved all the Herriot books, read them and saw the BBC series decades ago.

That's great to hear :)! My grandma loves I think both, it's one of the reasons why I bought the books, because she was always so enthousiastic about them. I'm glad to hear you liked them a lot too! I trust your opinion :yes:.

I'm sorry you've not got much time for reading :(. I'm glad you're enjoying the James Herriot book, it's on my TBR. I hope you'll have more time for reading soon, it can't be nice :(. I'm sure Kay will understand that you haven't got around to the book yet, and your other friend too if they are a good friend.

They're both good friends so I'm sure they won't mind.   :)  It's just I usually make Christmas books a priority but for some reason I just haven't done so this year. 

Meant to add that I loved all the Herriot books, read them and saw the BBC series decades ago. 

I loved the BBC series. :)  They were compulsory viewing on a Saturday night in our house from when I was a teen!  Interestingly enough (or maybe not interesting at all!   :giggle: ) although I'm picturing the actors when I'm reading the book, my veterinary practice building and my Darrowby look nothing like the ones used on the show!

That sounds good! After really liking Animal Farm, I'm interested to see if George Orwell has written some other good books.

If you haven't read 1984 then I'd recommend it. I read Animal Farm first of all and thought it was great and I liked 1984 even more.

I loved the BBC series. :)  They were compulsory viewing on a Saturday night in our house from when I was a teen!  Interestingly enough (or maybe not interesting at all!   :giggle: ) although I'm picturing the actors when I'm reading the book, my veterinary practice building and my Darrowby look nothing like the ones used on the show!

Another fan :)!

If you haven't read 1984 then I'd recommend it. I read Animal Farm first of all and thought it was great and I liked 1984 even more.

Thanks! I plan to read 1984 next year :).

I finished the final Maze Runner, # 3: The Death Cure yesterday and also spent time with A Time to Kill by John Grisham.  I will finish The Humans this morning.  I've not had this many books going for a long time!  I even dabbled into The Kill Order, the prequel to The Maze Runner series...  I've been doing well in reading this month, not as much as in May or June But lots more than the past few months, September and October.

Interesting.  Bizarre. :)

You've described my year getting to know her, perfect. :P  And I did 4 books of hers this year.  Well, 3 and 1/4.

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished Christmas Carol by Michele Gorman this morning and have also read last weeks chapters of Nicholas Nickleby this afternoon. :blush:

I've also listened to some more of Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams in preparation for reading Christmas At Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop as a festive read.  I have another Michele Gorman Christmas novella, The Reluctant Elf, downloaded and ready to go, so I think I'll read that one first.

Had a look around Waterstone's today, searching for inspiration for presents for friends, but haven't bought anything … yet. :smile2: