Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I admit I am dragging my feet on The Death Cure because the end is near and I don't want it to end.  I also do most of my reading outside and I am so cold, I am wearing a scarf inside the house.  I might try and finish Matt Haig's The Humans today, but I am going to that Hunger Games movie marathon at the cinema today, so I won't have that much time...  I should get started!

I just bough John Grisham's A Time to Kill, Ken Follett's Fall of Giants and Stephen King's Under the Dome for $2.99 each!  :jump:

:006:

Nice catch! :)

I've started Shadow of the Shadow by Paco Ignacio Taibo II.  The reviewer quoted on the front of the book says:

"A blending of the roman noir with magic realism, a cross between Raymond Chandler and Gabriel Garcia Marquez."  (Roger Simon, Los Angeles Times Book Review)

We'll see.  heh.

Finished Moonfleet, and now on to The Innocence of Father Brown. Ploughing through it, but not quite sure why as it's very disappointing - really dull, all the short stories pretty much the same plot: somebody gets killed, something odd happens/goes with it, everybody guesses wrong, Father Brown sees it and immediately solves the problem with a solution that would be highly unlikely (and sometimes nigh on impossible) in real life.

Pretty much stayed like that: not great, and won't bother with the rest. Moved on to The Rabbit Back Literature Society a rather odd novel with some very surreal scenes. Not sure what I think of it as a book: interesting enough, but not even close to getting me excited.

Finished The Tenant of Wildfell Hall yesterday, so now I've started on The Tenderness of Wolves. I'm liking it so far.

I'm glad to hear you're liking it! :) 

Is The Storied Life of AJ Fikry a young adult book as well?

No it's not and get a move on, you want to read the book! :giggle2: No, seriously. It's a great book! 

I've started reading Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes (based on the recommendations on here!); I accidentally found a copy of it at the library. I didn't know they had copies! I was very excited when I came home with the book and started it as soon as I'd finished my then current read. I'm liking it, although it's not what I'd expected. 

I bought a couple of books in WH Smiths yesterday - The Abduction by Jonathan Holt and The Devil in the Marshalsea by Antonia Hodgson. Started the latter in the bath earlier and I've been really impressed so far - love the author's style and can't wait to get going with it.

I bought a couple of books in WH Smiths yesterday - The Abduction by Jonathan Holt and The Devil in the Marshalsea by Antonia Hodgson. Started the latter in the bath earlier and I've been really impressed so far - love the author's style and can't wait to get going with it.

I hope you enjoy both of your new books :)!

I finished Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 1: The Ambassador's Mission, it was really good (review will be posted tomorrow)! I've started the second book, The Rogue, but have only read a few pages so far. I plan to read more maybe later today but definitely tomorrow.

I finished Cat Out Of Hell yesterday, and loved it - a mixture of humour and horror! 

I'm getting in the mood for Christmas, so I picked up a Michele Gorman novella, Christmas Carol which is a seasonal romcom.  It's good so far, and I'm enjoying the festive mood of it. :D

I'm getting in the mood for Christmas, so I picked up a Michele Gorman novella, Christmas Carol which is a seasonal romcom.  It's good so far, and I'm enjoying the festive mood of it. :D

x

Let me know what you think of this one, I plan to read some Christmas and wintery themed books next month, if you want :).

Edited by Athena

After finishing my last book I picked up Empire of the Sun by JG Ballard and I'm already 50 pages into it. I can see this one being a really quick read for me and another one ticked off of the "1001 Books" list (I think it's on there).

I have just finished Revival. It was an ok read, but the storyline never pulled me all the way in.

I think I will read The Maze Runner next.

Awww, it's a shame Revival wasn't as good as you'd hoped :(. I hope you will enjoy The Maze Runner, do let us know what you think :).

I started Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 2: The Rogue and am on page 63 out of 485. So far I'm really enjoying it.

I also bought some books today, I will post them in my thread at a later time.

I'm not caring much for the book I've started, The Shadow of the Shadow...it's short but is taking a lot of time to get to the so called meat of the story, too much messing about with characters I cannot care about.  I'll probably put it to the side and start something else.

I'm currently reaching the hlaf way point of 'IT' by Stephen King (it has taken me about 5-6 weeks so far to reach this point!) and although I very nearly put this down, I'm so glad that I perceived with this, as it's awesome!

This is one of the Waterstones Book Club choices at the moment, and I came very close to buying it last weekend as part of a 'coffee, cake and book' deal for £10. I didn't, but promised myself to go back and revisit - my reaction was similar to yours.

I was, however, intrigued by another selection - Pasi Jaaskelainen's The Rabbit Back Literature Society - which I've just finished in the past hour or so. Odd! Strangely compulsive too. I can't say it rates as one of the great reads of my life,  but it was one I was eventually glad to have seen out to the end, with a twist that caught me out a bit - not the one I thought it was going to be.

Edited by willoyd

I have just finished Revival. It was an ok read, but the storyline never pulled me all the way in.

I think I will read The Maze Runner next.

That is too bad, it gives me pause now (which really is a good thing, I have a short list of books I want to read before the year is over and I can kick that one off the "immediate" list).  I hope you like The Maze Runner, please stop by our thread and let us know your progress, what you think.  Keep in mind, the sequel is great too! ;)

I'm not caring much for the book I've started, The Shadow of the Shadow...it's short but is taking a lot of time to get to the so called meat of the story, too much messing about with characters I cannot care about.  I'll probably put it to the side and start something else.

I hope the next read you start, will be more enjoyable :).

I'm currently reaching the hlaf way point of 'IT' by Stephen King (it has taken me about 5-6 weeks so far to reach this point!) and although I very nearly put this down, I'm so glad that I perceived with this, as it's awesome!

I'm glad to hear you're liking IT, I hope you will like the second half as much :). It's a big, long book, it took me a while too to get through it.

I've been busy this afternoon / evening so I haven't yet read more than a few pages in the book I'm reading, compared with earlier this afternoon. I hope to do some more reading tomorrow.

That is too bad, it gives me pause now (which really is a good thing, I have a short list of books I want to read before the year is over and I can kick that one off the "immediate" list).  I hope you like The Maze Runner, please stop by our thread and let us know your progress, what you think.  Keep in mind, the sequel is great too! ;)

You may enjoy it, so I wouldn't necessarily rely on my opinion. :smile: It was well-written and easy enough to read, but the plot just didn't excite me like I'd hoped it would.

I will definitely pop by The Maze Runner thread once I'm a bit more of the way into it (started reading it, but got distracted by Inner Space on TV which I haven't seen since I was a kid :giggle: ).

I will definitely pop by The Maze Runner thread once I'm a bit more of the way into it (started reading it, but got distracted by Inner Space on TV which I haven't seen since I was a kid :giggle: ).

*Nods* I a bit distracted with my reading today as well.  But knowing you, you'll have Maze Runner finished in a day or two ;)  :smile: I will pick up Revival, but at least now I don't have to get it RIGHT NOW, ya know...

I finished a strange little essay/ article piece that is 140 pages on Stalin and life in the Soviet Union.  It was an interesting bit of reading, I reviewed it in my thread, as it was so different from other pieces I have read on life during that period and also life in Siberia's Kolyma. 

I am not sure what is next, but I just started the introduction to A Time to Kill, I've never read a John Grisham book, so this will be the first.  I hope it isn't too heavy on the courtroom aspect, if it is I will be disappointed.  I still have Maze Runner's The Death Cure and Matt Haig's The Humans on hold, at about 75% each.  I've just been so wiped out yesterday and today, to get into them.