Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I finished When Mr Dog Bites by Brian Conaghan - review in my blog - and today I have started A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby.  I haven't read any of his before.   :)

I loved A Long Way Down- hope you enjoy it!  It is the only book I've read by him.

Glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was excellent. One of my top reads of the year so far. :)

I've just caught up with my weekly chapters of Nicholas Nickleby as I'd missed on last week. :blush: Not sure what I'm going to read this week, will have to see where the wind blows me.

Tremendous read, chesil.I like the tension he conveys, eg the tension when Mark is doing his dodgy stuff, the tension around Zbigniew, and the traffic warden too. Edited by itsmeagain

Started 'Stolen' ~ Lesley Pearse...read 42 pages, then threw it across the bed.....rubbish.

Oh dear - one to avoid then! 

Yes....read my review in the book blog bit. Janet.

Started 'The Lake of Dreams' by Kim Edwards....hoping I get further with this read than my last effort... :giggle:

Edited by Inver

I loved A Long Way Down- hope you enjoy it!  It is the only book I've read by him.

Hope you enjoy it better than I did, Janet. I recall having a bit of a rant when I was reviewing it. :blush2:

Isn't being a bookworm grand!  :D  I'm not very far in so I'm not sure what to make of it at the moment, but I will comment when I've finished (my reading pace has slowed considerably, so that may not be for a few weeks!).

How was The Snow Child?

I've been absorbed in The Maze Runner and have read around one-third of it.

4/5 for storytelling, 3/5 for story. I enjoyed reading it but I have to say that for me it wasn't as great as to others on here :) 

You're just flying through books these days, aren't you :D I saw on your GR stats yesterday that you'd managed 150% (or was it 156%) of your reading challenge for the year :D 

4/5 for storytelling, 3/5 for story. I enjoyed reading it but I have to say that for me it wasn't as great as to others on here :) 

You're just flying through books these days, aren't you :D I saw on your GR stats yesterday that you'd managed 150% (or was it 156%) of your reading challenge for the year :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it :). And well done for Kylie!

I finished Scott Meyer - Magic 2.0 2: Spell or High Water (I really liked it - review in my thread later) and am going to try not to start a new book before the read-a-thon on Friday (and if I do it'll be something short, that I can finish today), so I'll be even more excited tomorrow. It might be difficult though because I love to read.

I've finished The Goldfinch which took me ages so I got a little weary of it. It didn't really blow me away unfortunately but often award winning books don't. I sometimes wonder if there is something a bit wrong with me when I don't enjoy "famous" books. Maybe I'm not very smart. I'm looking for a light hearted read now.

I've finished this week's instalment of Nicholas Nickleby for our group read.  I've read a little more of A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (my daughter is keen for me to finish it so I can watch her DVD of it!) but it's not really engaging me so far...

About 70-80 pages into the Monk book. And coincidentally the story starts by Monk and Natalie being in Monk's apartment and it's Halloween and kids are trick or treating. What are the odds :D Perfect timing. 

Edited by frankie

Just finished When You Were Older by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I don't think it was one of her best...but I enjoyed it. Its definitely my least favorite of hers. Review to follow in my thread.

Reading BBC History Magazine today, gearing up for the read a thon and the rest of the month will be spent on The Maze Runner series! Fun month ahead!

I've just started The White Russian by Vanora Bennett.  I loved her first outing "Midnight in St Petersburg" and this  look like being just as good.  This one takes in Paris before the outbreak of WW2 so lots of possibilities to expect here.

I finished Bitter Blood by Rachel Caine today - it's the thirteenth book in the Morganville Vampires series, so only two left to go now. I've started the next one now, Fall of Night.

I downloaded a novella, Christmas Carol by Michele Gorman, and pre-ordered a couple of her other books. Hoping to get a lot of reading done this weekend! :D

About 70% through Capital. I really hope I finish it this weekend, but I've been so tired lately. I think it's a combination of work and the clocks changing (which always seems to make me feel tired for a few weeks :blush2: ). Have bought some vitamins to see if they pep me up. :boogie:

I finished Fall of Night by Rachel Caine this afternoon, so that's book 14 out of 15 done with the Morganville Vampires series.  Going to try and finish book 15, Daylighters, this weekend too, and then read my Nicholas Nickleby chapters for the week.

Also finally got around to sorting out the books that Kay lent me this week! :smile2:

I am loving Matt Haig's The Humans, about an extraterrestrial writing about his experiences on Earth as a human, to his fellow aliens.  OMGosh I am actually laughing out loud at some of this stuff.  It's a dark comedy, and very enjoyable.  Easy, nice.  Refreshing.

I am loving Matt Haig's The Humans, about an extraterrestrial writing about his experiences on Earth as a human, to his fellow aliens.  OMGosh I am actually laughing out loud at some of this stuff.  It's a dark comedy, and very enjoyable.  Easy, nice.  Refreshing.

Woohoo!!! Really pleased you're enjoying it, Anna.  Still my novel of the year so far :smile2:

I requested the library to order the book based on your and chesilbeach's comments. Now, to wait and see if they think it worth ordering. They do have one of the author's books, The Dead Father's Club. Have any of you read that one?

Edited by muggle not

I requested the library to order the book based on your and chesilbeach's comments. Now, to wait and see if they think it worth ordering. They do have one of the author's books, The Dead Father's Club. Have any of you read that one?

This is my first of his, but I also have the sample for The Radley's... which I think is his most popular.  Like The Humans, The Radley's sounds very "different" as well.  I can see myself getting more into his writing next year.