Melodious reading 2014

Melodious

Since I'm starting over half way through the year I'll just list what I've read this year with my rating (Same as Goodreads) and I'll also write a couple of mini reviews for any books I thought were significant to me over the past 12 months.

I'll also put a link to my Goodreads page below. I've only really started to use it for the past 18 months but I signed up a few years ago.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3084339-david-riley

Jan

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - Philip K Dick 4/5

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad 3/5

Youth - Joseph Conrad 3/5

The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle 3/5

Utopia - Thomas Moore - 4/5

Feb

The Steampunk Bible - Jeff Vandermeer 4/5

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami 5/5

The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins 3/5

Love is a Dog From Hell - Charles Bukowski 3/5

Under the Black Flag: The Romance and Reality of Life Among Pirates 3/5

April

The Difference Engine - William Gibson 3/5

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole 4/5

May

Cosmos - Carl Sagan 5/5

The History of Mythology - Veronica Ions 3/5

June

Capitalism: As If the World Matters - Jonathon Porritt 4/5

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut 4/5

July

Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche 3/5

East of Eden - John Steinbeck 5/5

September

Feral: Rewilding the Land, Sea and Human Life - George Monbiot 4/5

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Haruki Murakami 3/5

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut 5/5

Sane New World: Taming the Mind - Ruby Wax 3/5

October

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess  4/5

Last Exit to Brooklyn - Hubert Selby Jr 3/5

Looking back I certainly didn't read as much as I would have liked with two months of no reading at all :o I've had a difficult year though and focus and sleeping hasn't been great.

A couple of abandoned books:

Moby Dick - Loved the beginning and the scene with Ishmael sharing a bed with Queequeg was hilarious but it soon delved into chapters of whale biology and crew mates singing that didn't seem to have any significance on the story and it pulled me right out of the story. I think it's one to pick up and try again one day.

The Picture of Dorian Grey - I love the concept behind the book but I HATED every character in the damn thing. Silly dramatics and unlikeable/believable characters just wanted me to hurl it across the room as I really wanted to see it through (I know the story to the end anyway) Shame.

Mrs Dalloway - Liked it but I'm having trouble concentating and sleeping at the minute and her writing style/language requires focus I decided to leave it for now until I can give it the attention it deserves. I would like to come back to it one day for sure. 

Looking forward to reading this blog Dave .. this gives you good practice for next year .. ease you in so to speak :)

I loved Moby Dick .. but a lot of people here feel the same way as you did. It's a book that actually would suit being abridged .. as long as they left all the right bits in :D I didn't mind all the cetology .. but then .. I'm odd :blush2:  

I did get through Mrs Dalloway but found it hard and only took in so much of it .. definitely need to re-read to fully get the picture. I need to read The Picture of Dorian Gray as love Oscar's stuff in general .. will probably want to hurl it also but it's a must read isn't it? (or must attempt to read :D

Happy reading for the rest of the year :)

I'd be interested in your review of the Nietzsche book, if that is one you might review.  I've studied a lot of Ayn Rand over the past 2 years.  We love reviews around here- if you haven't noticed yet :giggle2:  :P

Looks like you have a good start on your thread!  I look forward to seeing what you read for the rest of the year.

I'd be interested in your review of the Nietzsche book, if that is one you might review.  I've studied a lot of Ayn Rand over the past 2 years.  We love reviews around here- if you haven't noticed yet :giggle2:  :P

Looks like you have a good start on your thread!  I look forward to seeing what you read for the rest of the year.

I've read Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and Anthem by Ayn Rand. On a whole her philosophy is silly and unworkable and a bit fantasy if you ask me BUT there is still some merit to her work and I cite Atlas Shrugged as one of the most influential books of my life.

I may try with the Nietzsche for you but its a difficult one for me. It's the first book by him I read and I found it disappointing, very overbloated and some of it no doubt went right over my head. It's not like his other works (so I've been told) as he usually is straight to the point and coherent while Zarathustra is the opposite. I guess I expected/wanted a parable outlook with philosophy intertwined with the stories of his travels. Kinda like Jesus does in the bible but instead its just a lot of monologues with himself. Perhaps this wasn't the best starting position with Nietsche but maybe when I've read more of his work and more familar with his outlook it might be worth another shot.

Have you read any Nietsche Anna? I have Anti-Christ/Twilight Idols in the wings.

I've read Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and Anthem by Ayn Rand. On a whole her philosophy is silly and unworkable and a bit fantasy if you ask me BUT there is still some merit to her work and I cite Atlas Shrugged as one of the most influential books of my life.

A lot of people say that about her and objectivism.  :smile: I don't mind.  Even she states that it is more of an idealistic way to live, a way of life to strive for.  I just read The Fountainhead this year and really studied it, took me forever. 

Here is my review: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12425-annas-books-for-2014/?p=400272

I read Atlas Shrugged and loved it also.  I have Anthem on my TBR, hanging back in there somewhere- I might be able to do only one Rand book per year :giggle2: Although it is dystopian and that is one of my favorite genre's.  I'd also be up for We the Living.

I may try with the Nietzsche for you but its a difficult one for me. It's the first book by him I read and I found it disappointing, very overbloated and some of it no doubt went right over my head.

Have you read any Nietsche Anna? I have Anti-Christ/Twilight Idols in the wings.

No problem, it was a while ago since you read it.

No, I have never had the pleasure, actually.  I have Beyond Good and Evil in my stack, I got it for free from Kindle, but I am guessing Zarathustra should come first.  *sigh* Perhaps next year :smile:  :readingtwo:

Hi I've only read two on your list - The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and Heart of Darkness. I've also read The Foutainhead but I'm not sure I really understood Ayn Rand's philosophy. I just thought the characters were odd people. I also only got partway through The Picture of Dorian Grey. I didn't think it was too bad but I had just read a play by Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest, and I think I overdosed a bit on Wilde and got bored of it. I've never read any Nietzche. I suspect that is for smart people and I don't qualify ;). Happy reading for the rest of the year.

Hi Melodious, a belated welcome to the forum. :)

We have rather similar tastes in reading, so I look forward to reading your reviews and progress. I loved Atlas Shrugged and I tend to agree with your opinion about Rand's philosophy. I have half a dozen or so books by and about Rand on my TBR pile. I'd like to read The Fountainhead next.

I really loved The Picture of Dorian Gray, but I remember there was one excruciatingly dull chapter and I certainly understand why you didn't like the characters. I recently saw a production of The Importance of Being Earnest, which I loved.

Thanks Kylie :)

I've made no progress with reading lately but I will hopefully get a couple of reviews up this week. A lot of my time has been unexpectingly eaten away. lately and I haven't been here as much as I would have liked.

@Janet - I haven't seen or listened to any of his plays. I love his writing and wit from what I've seen around the web but Dorian Grey was just a let down.

@Anna - I think Beyond Good and Evil is a good starting point for him.

Ugh! I've been given a new med by my doc and it's put my head into a tailspin. I feel so woozy and light headed. I can't get any reading done or much else for that matter.

Awwww :(. Is it a side effect? I hope it will fade with time. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.