What cheered you up today?

Athena

I cleaned/cleared my desk (actually putting things where they belong, updating my calendar, etc) this morning. Yesterday I deep cleaned and organized my kitchen.

I love the feeling of accomplishment when I complete the mental tasks I set for myself!

12 hours ago, Chrissy said:

*mumbling* No! Not all of them, anyway......😐

Chrissy Gums, they called her.  Fastest draw in The West...

4 hours ago, Virginia said:

I love the feeling of accomplishment when I complete the mental tasks I set for myself!

Agreed. Cleaning is pretty mental!

• Haha 1

Woke my father up at 7am this morning because I had to take him to the dentist. He wasn't pleased - first thing in the morning is becoming increasingly hard for him these days - but had to comply, he chose the time himself. Getting out of the house and driving the car were brilliant in and of themselves. We have been hiding from the heat and stayed in all last week so getting out and about for a change was very refreshing. Well it was for me!

We are catching up on our chores this week too, none having been done in the heat. I finally managed to get the microwave clean this week. And as for the toilet ........... Clean(ish) for now. 

Also managed to watch the European Games, which I enjoy, my father not.

All set for a quiet day tomorrow, resting I foresee.

Had to go to our local Hospital for my annual blood test, and my appointment was for 9.am. Arrived and registered on the computer at around 8.45 and was called in at around 8.50! I was back home by 9.15 which was pretty good, as it is a fair walk there and back!

This week has been pretty flush. I opened the mail yesterday and found a check for $122 from Wells Fargo Bank for some nefarious dealings a few years ago (we dropped them like the plague). I also got a good, long laugh because we got another check, drum roll pleaseeeee! For the shocking amount of $0.76!!! Wohooh!!! AT&T owed me some change. We haven't been with AT&T for over a decade! I deposited, but I laughed the entire time I did it! Then today, hubby got an unexpected check from the Veterans Affairs facility for travel reimbursement. We never thought about it and never requested it. But hey, into the bank it goes!

The biggest blessing just happened. Our Land Rover was in the shop since the first of the month. We were supposed to drive it to Florida to go on our cruise. I had just gotten it out of the shop THAT DAY and after filling up the tank, I was minutes from home when it died on me in the middle of the road, at a stop light, during evening rush hour. So we had to gas up the second SUV and have the Rover towed. We were told they couldn't even TOUCH it til September 8. They called Friday and told me that the cost of repairs (first mechanic really dropped the ball) would run about $2400 BUT they would have it ready this week. I just got a call and was told that our warranty will cover $1300!!!

I'm a happy camper and thank God for the needed financial blessing!!

I had a similar financial experience with our energy supplier, they sent a letter with the latest bill, saying they'd overcharged us over the last few months, so the bill for August was for....... 3 pence! I did pay it as otherwise they'd probably have slapped us with a £10.00 late payment charge.

19 hours ago, Virginia said:

They called Friday and told me that the cost of repairs (first mechanic really dropped the ball) would run about $2400 BUT they would have it ready this week. I just got a call and was told that our warranty will cover $1300!!!

Woah, that was a huge repair bill. You definitely deserved some good news after all that! Phew!

18 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I had a similar financial experience with our energy supplier, they sent a letter with the latest bill, saying they'd overcharged us over the last few months, so the bill for August was for....... 3 pence! I did pay it as otherwise they'd probably have slapped us with a £10.00 late payment charge.

That would almost be funny.

I was on holiday in Devon last week, so I was definitely cheered up by that. Lilly (my puppy) got to go in the sea for the first time, which was very cute. I also booked this week off work, although I'll just be at home, it's given me a chance to catch up on all the things I keep meaning to do! Extra cheered up when I went to buy a couple of plants from a local shop and was allowed to have one of them for £1.50 instead of £2.20 :lol:.

I was in Devon the week before, what bit did you go to?  We were lucky and got the heatwave!  Glad Lily enjoyed herself, it was interesting watching the various dogs and their reactions to the seas ,they either seem to love it or loathe it.  One man took his border collie down to the water's edge, it stood there with it's feet in the water while he splashed water over it, then once it was done, it turned and walked back onto the beach, as if to say "so what?".  Other dogs loved it and were in and out, and one spaniel was intent on digging big holes.

I got a bargain at  B & Q the other day, a clematis for £1.00.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I was in Devon the week before, what bit did you go to?  We were lucky and got the heatwave!  Glad Lily enjoyed herself, it was interesting watching the various dogs and their reactions to the seas ,they either seem to love it or loathe it.  One man took his border collie down to the water's edge, it stood there with it's feet in the water while he splashed water over it, then once it was done, it turned and walked back onto the beach, as if to say "so what?".  Other dogs loved it and were in and out, and one spaniel was intent on digging big holes.

My boy hasn't decided if it's something he needs to do. He can swim but he's not a "water" dog. He will turn his bladder off to prevent going to use the bathroom in the rain!🤣

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

Woah, that was a huge repair bill. You definitely deserved some good news after all that! Phew!

That would almost be funny.

I was on holiday in Devon last week, so I was definitely cheered up by that. Lilly (my puppy) got to go in the sea for the first time, which was very cute. I also booked this week off work, although I'll just be at home, it's given me a chance to catch up on all the things I keep meaning to do! Extra cheered up when I went to buy a couple of plants from a local shop and was allowed to have one of them for £1.50 instead of £2.20 :lol:.

Love getting plants at a discount!!

• Like 1

Not happy today, the heavy rain and storm early this morning resulted in a load of water coming through our kitchen ceiling, plus a suspicious looking bulge in the lounge ceiling.... called out a roofing company who diagnosed, not surprisingly, a leaky roof, it's a flat roof and has been there for around 30 odd years, I had seen some water stains on the kitchen ceiling tiles - it's a dropped ceiling thankfully, otherwise the damage could have been much worse - but will cost a lot to fix. 

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It's so lovely isn't it? We stayed in Lulworth but we'd driven to Swanage when Lilly decided to run straight into the sea! But she seemed to decide that was quite enough swimming for one lifetime and didn't want to do it again - she'd just run in the shallow bit :lol:. There were other dogs who obviously loved swimming! I love the reaction of the border collie - very chilled :giggle2:.

£1 was very good for the clematis too! 

Not good new for your roof though! I'm glad it wasn't worse but still really not what you want! 

On 8/25/2022 at 2:34 PM, Virginia said:

My boy hasn't decided if it's something he needs to do. He can swim but he's not a "water" dog. He will turn his bladder off to prevent going to use the bathroom in the rain!🤣

Our old lab could do that as well, she once went over 12 hours without going.... it was millennium night and there were fireworks all the time from early on NYE to well into NY Day.  don't know how she managed, she just would not go out!

• 10 months later...

They're so cute, I was out for a walk this morning and a lovely golden retriever came along and marched right through our group, receiving several pats as it did so!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm always saying hello to dogs ... I thought I was kind of weird 😂

A man at the supermarket today was telling me how his dog loved visiting there because of all the pats it got 🥰

Edited by poppy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes they love it, I had a spaniel try to jump onto my lap earlier at  a cafe, I think it could smell the empty Twix wrapper I'd put on the table!

I always say hello to dogs as well, it's only polite especially if they come up to you,I think they can sense when people like them, most of the time.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm very excited!

I post here because I think that you are the only people who could understand this. Yesterday I found a new to me poet, who is still alive so contemporary, who writes poems that provoke a reaction in me. Her work is just lovely and yesterday I shed a tear (despite myself. I am not the type of woman who bursts (as we say here) into tears easily) and more importantly felt deeply touched by her work. I've only read two or three of her poems so far and have bought one of her books, which I'm impatiently awaiting. She is signing and dedicating it to me and I just could not be more thrilled!

One of her poems popped up on my Instagram last year and deeply touched me then and yesterday one of my FaceBook friends posted a different poem which prompted me to find out more.

*her name is Becky Hemsley, just in case anyone wants to know*