What cheered you up today?

Athena

2 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Aww! I bet that was such a wonderful time meeting her. Hoping you can have lots of cuddles with her from now on. 😊

I hope so too! :) 

Have to agree with you Lau_Lou, those photos are lovely. What a special place to visit, muggle not. And I love 'Jessie'. 

So glad you've gotten to meet your great-neice at last Chrissy :wub: 

Looks like you had a lovely day Muggle, and beautiful country. Happy Birthday to your lady:flowers2:

I'm really happy today, our special needs daughter had her second covid injection yesterday and quite a few people have said they felt lousy after the second one. Apart from a sore arm, she's fine and we're happily watching Despicable Me for the ?th time :lol:

I had a similar 'meeting' with my cousins grandaughter. She was born a year ago,and with lockdown(s) and safety precautions, I was unable to actually meet her properly and hold her, until about three weeks ago. All our family are now fully vacinated, and it was a delight to hold the baby girl, who is now on the verge of walking, and therefore will only stay with anyone for a couple of minutes, before getting the urge to be mobile again!

I have just found out that storing books on their back cover i.e. lying them flat, saves space and that I can get more books in that way.  I'd read about this before but gave it a try today and got four - 2 of them very thick - in a space where, stored the conventional way, they were hanging off the side of the shelf (on a bookend).  And I don't need bookends! 

This gives me the opportunity to go through my books, which is second only to reading them.  Happy me.

Met up with friends at a garden, which was lovely, and had lunch, 3 of us have met in person a couple of times this year, but hadn't seen one of the others "in the flesh" for about since Xmas 2019m when we went to see "Little Women" at the cinema!

Edited by Madeleine

On 6/14/2021 at 3:53 PM, Chrissy said:

On Saturday I met my great-niece for the first time. She was born last year. She is delightful! 

This sounds wonderful! I am so glad you got to meet her :).

On 6/15/2021 at 6:35 PM, Hayley said:

I was cheered up today (enough to come and post again) by the fact that I now have internet again! :boogie:

Woohoo!

On 6/18/2021 at 1:01 AM, muggle not said:

We drove up into the mountains today for lunch to celebrate my wife's Birthday. It is a 128 mile drive from our home to Blowing Rock, North Carolina. We had a wonderful day.

Blowing Rock is a village in western North Carolina on the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway. It’s named after The Blowing Rock, a formation with sweeping views of peaks, forests and the Johns River Gorge.

These are a few photos while we were there. The photo of the flowers and the statue of the little girl reading a book are in front of the towns beautiful little library. Please enlarge the photo of the little girl's statue as it is adorable.

Such beautiful photos!! Awww "Jessie"! It sounds like a wonderful trip. Happy belated birthday to your wife!

On 6/19/2021 at 1:41 AM, poppy said:

I'm really happy today, our special needs daughter had her second covid injection yesterday and quite a few people have said they felt lousy after the second one. Apart from a sore arm, she's fine and we're happily watching Despicable Me for the ?th time :lol:

I am really happy your daughter feels fine after her second vaccination :hug:. I'm getting mine soon.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, timebug said:

I had a similar 'meeting' with my cousins grandaughter. She was born a year ago,and with lockdown(s) and safety precautions, I was unable to actually meet her properly and hold her, until about three weeks ago. All our family are now fully vacinated, and it was a delight to hold the baby girl, who is now on the verge of walking, and therefore will only stay with anyone for a couple of minutes, before getting the urge to be mobile again!

This sounds wonderful, I'm glad you got to hold her :).

On 6/20/2021 at 2:41 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I have just found out that storing books on their back cover i.e. lying them flat, saves space and that I can get more books in that way.  I'd read about this before but gave it a try today and got four - 2 of them very thick - in a space where, stored the conventional way, they were hanging off the side of the shelf (on a bookend).  And I don't need bookends! 

This gives me the opportunity to go through my books, which is second only to reading them.  Happy me.

I love going through my books and re-arranging them on the bookshelves, I wish you lots of fun!

On 6/20/2021 at 10:10 PM, Madeleine said:

Met up with friends at a garden, which was lovely, and had lunch, 3 of us have met in person a couple of times this year, but hadn't seen one of the others "in the flesh" for about since Xmas 2019m when we went to see "Little Women" at the cinema!

This sounds like a lovely time!

On 18/06/2021 at 12:01 AM, muggle not said:

These are a few photos while we were there. The photo of the flowers and the statue of the little girl reading a book are in front of the towns beautiful little library.

That is beautiful! And what a lovely setting for a library!

On 19/06/2021 at 12:41 AM, poppy said:

Yay! That's excellent news. I've heard a few people say they felt better after their second one actually.

I like Despicable Me, especially Agnes and the grumpy dog :lol:

On 20/06/2021 at 9:57 AM, timebug said:

and it was a delight to hold the baby girl, who is now on the verge of walking, and therefore will only stay with anyone for a couple of minutes, before getting the urge to be mobile again!

Aww, it's lovely that you got to meet her now! 

On 20/06/2021 at 1:41 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

And now you can buy more books to fill the saved space :lol:. I do love going through my books too. I'm looking forward to getting all my books onto shelves in my new house for that reason (even though it's a bit of a daunting prospect too!).

8 hours ago, Athena said:

I love going through my books and re-arranging them on the bookshelves, I wish you lots of fun!

I particularly love how you arrange yours. You might have arranged them differently at your new house, but in the video you posted here of your shelves at your old house everything was so organised and reminded me of the way they organise book shops!

I planted things in my new garden yesterday and I'm very excited about it. It's really satisfying to clear away all the overgrown things and find the way it used to be (like we found a little wall, a statue of a fairy, and even a hanging basket that had been totally covered over by ivy!). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2021 at 12:41 AM, poppy said:

Glad that she has had her 2nd jab. I can agree that minions help with the sore arm, and many other ailments! :D

On 20/06/2021 at 9:57 AM, timebug said:

I had a similar 'meeting' with my cousins grandaughter. She was born a year ago,and with lockdown(s) and safety precautions, I was unable to actually meet her properly and hold her, until about three weeks ago.

Nothing like that first meeting with a beloved bubba!

On 20/06/2021 at 1:41 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I have just found out that storing books on their back cover  / This gives me the opportunity to go through my books, which is second only to reading them.  Happy me.

I loved reading this! My booky heart nods eagerly at a book-life improving tip, and your happiness at discovering it. 

On 20/06/2021 at 9:10 PM, Madeleine said:

Met up with friends at a garden, which was lovely, and had lunch.

'Phonecalls and messaging are great, but a face to face makes such a difference. 

On 28/06/2021 at 2:52 PM, Hayley said:

I planted things in my new garden yesterday and I'm very excited about it. It's really satisfying to clear away all the overgrown things and find the way it used to be (like we found a little wall, a statue of a fairy, and even a hanging basket that had been totally covered over by ivy!). 

It is exciting to grow things, and your discoveries sound lovely. 

We visited Arundel on the south coast yesterday. We spent 2 hours wandering around the wetland centre they have there. Lots and lots and lots of ducks and geese and all sorts of other water birds, including pelicans! It was the first proper 'what we used to do' outing that we have taken since 2019.

As he headed away we also got to see the Red Arrows flying display team (they were appearing at the nearby Festival of Speed at Goodwood). What a view, and what a racket! 

On 7/10/2021 at 10:15 AM, Chrissy said:

We visited Arundel on the south coast yesterday. We spent 2 hours wandering around the wetland centre they have there. Lots and lots and lots of ducks and geese and all sorts of other water birds, including pelicans! It was the first proper 'what we used to do' outing that we have taken since 2019.

I joined the Wetlands & Wildfowl Trust earlier in the year and Arundel is my closest centre - have yet to book a slot and pop over, though!

On 7/10/2021 at 10:15 AM, Chrissy said:

As he headed away we also got to see the Red Arrows flying display team (they were appearing at the nearby Festival of Speed at Goodwood). What a view, and what a racket! 

I watched them (from a distance) at work on Friday, and again (much closer) at home this lunchtime.  Didn't get any good photos though because my camera started shading everything blue...

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

My partner and I bought our first house and last week got the keys. That was wonderful in itself. 

The sellers had left us a card and a bottle of rose champagne. 

Congratulations. 

12 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

My partner and I bought our first house and last week got the keys. That was wonderful in itself. 

Yay! Congratulations! And a lovely touch with the champagne :lol:. Are you planning bookshelves now?

18 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

The first house is special. Enjoy!

20 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Congratulations on your first house! 

5 hours ago, Madeleine said:

My tomatoes have finally started to ripen, only taken about 2 months!  Glad yours are nice, Marie.

The tomatoes are great, and we’ll probably get a glut of them soon!

I looked up what to do with foxgloves after they've finished flowering (because we had some huge ones this year!) and it turns out that, as long as you want more to grow, you cut them near the base and then wave them around a giant, wiggly flower-wand until all the seeds come out. It was very satisfying :lol:

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

I looked up what to do with foxgloves after they've finished flowering (because we had some huge ones this year!) and it turns out that, as long as you want more to grow, you cut them near the base and then wave them around a giant, wiggly flower-wand until all the seeds come out. It was very satisfying :lol:

Ha, ha, ha, that sounds like lots of fun.  I did not know that and will bear it in mind.

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

Despite being in my 50's, I was ridiculously chuffed when my dentist gave me a well done sticker, for having no need of a scale and polish since my last visit! 😁 (< a toothy emoji) 

All your teeth have fallen out, haven't they? 😱 (< empty mouth emoji!)