Your Book Activity - October 2014

Athena

I have been enjoying my reading of some books by one of my favourite urban fantasy writers, SM Reine; 'Witch Hunt', 'Silver Bullet', 'Hotter Than Helltown' and 'Shadow Burns' from her Preternatural Affairs series, and a rather spicy (gosh, is it hot in here or is it me? :blush2: ) 'Caged Wolf' the first book of her Tarot Witches series. SM Reine writes descriptive fast paced and often witty books that I fly through, which is great because I have had so many reading mojo problems in the past few years I need some chase-along reads to keep me reading.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven, and considering I don't like autobiographies and celebrity memoirs usually, I absolutely adored it.  Makes me want to watch some of his films all over again.  :smile2:

I've now started The Snake, The Crocodile and the Dog by Elizabeth Peters which is the seventh in the Amelia Peabody series.

That is a really good question. (Oh and there's a copy of Elling in English at the library! Whenever I visit the English lit section, I see it and it makes me smile like an idiot, LOL.)

There should be a copy of Elling in every language. There should also be Elling - the graphic novel and a pop-up book :D 

I don't think they stock a whole lot of Finnish titles in English. Maybe they do more so over here, in the south, where there are more immigrants and foreigners. It's usually classics like Sinuhe the Egyptian and The Howling Miller and The Unknown Soldier. Then they have books that have been widely appreciated by readers and critics. Like Oksanen's Purge. And a few sci-fi/fantasy novels, like this one and this one.

Ah .. makes sense. No point in stocking stuff few people are going to read. Precious bookshelf space and all that.

I'd love a nice friendly book police =D Although s/he would have to take into account the fact that there are quite a few books on one's TBR ... The idea reminds me of The Library Policeman by Stephen King. I would not like anything like that  :hide:

I don't know anything about King's library policemen but they are freaking me out already (if you're hiding under a chair then I'm out of the door and running down the road :D) Hopefully the book police are the tolerant sort because one might be tempted to hide books otherwise .. have a false wall or something and tbh I'm up to my neck in it as it is. I can just about sort out what's for dinner.

Remember how I told you months ago that there's a copy of CBtD at the Joensuu library. Well, when I moved, I thought maybe I will now be rid of the idea of having to read the book. But there are copies at the local libraries over here, too.... !

That's just the sort of book it is .. insidious :D 

Poor Brontës. Funny thing about them, though. I remember when we read JE for our British lit class and our Brit professor talked about the surname. They were originally Brunty, but for some reason the father wanted to change the name. I believe he originally wanted to go for Bronte, but as our prof pointed out, it would've been pronounced as 'Bront' and that apparently means thunder, but also large animals and so he thought it would've implied they were somewhat on the plump side :D So he resorted to the ë to make the surname a two syllable name.

Yes, this is probably one of the maybe three things I remember from our Brit lit classes. It really pays to go to uni...

I didn't learn any of that at the museum .. I think you should go work there frankie :D I can see why they wanted it changed from Brunty to Brontë .. Brontë is more romantic. Emily Brunty!! It's not the same is it? :D

Edit: poppyshake: maybe I should send you a Finnish keyboard with the ä's and ö's. To make life easier for you!

:D Lord! .. how big is your keyboard? Where do they put all these extra characters? Will I need a bigger desk? :D

Looking forward to getting cosy this evening and reading more from The Rabbit Back Literature Society. 

Edited by poppyshake

I've finished Sky of Red Poppies and I'm really not sure what can follow it. I wasn't sure what I thought of the book when reading it but it's really effected me and I can't stop thinking about it. It's about opposition groups in 1960s Iran.

Not sure whether to go for a non fiction as a result or some YA nostalgia.

I've finished Sky of Red Poppies and I'm really not sure what can follow it. I wasn't sure what I thought of the book when reading it but it's really effected me and I can't stop thinking about it. It's about opposition groups in 1960s Iran.

Not sure whether to go for a non fiction as a result or some YA nostalgia.

Now I really can't wait to read it! :smile:

Oh the pressure :lol: I found it a bit slow in parts, but now I've finished I realised how much it spoke to me, if that's the right phrase! I'm going to leave off the review for a couple of days and see how I feel then.

In my own bookish activity, I've got one chapter left of David Niven's autobiography, The Moon's A Balloon, and it was so moving in the last couple of chapters, I actually sat at my desk with tears running down my face at lunchtime.  Great stuff.

I'm reading that (although I've had to put it to one side at the moment) - I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. 

Still reading 'The Villa in Italy' and started 'Before the Storm' ..... so I can send it on to Hayley when finished.,

Charity shop buy today today....,£1 'The Shadow Wife'...and yes again  by Diane Chamberlain....really liking her books.

I've had to remove some emoticons....wouldn't let me post.....oy. hah

Your comment was not spoilery, but my reaction to it might be so I've put yours in spoilers tags. I now know what you mean! :D Good stuff! I have 136 pages to finish and I really want to finish today, I can't wait to read on :exc:

I know what you mean, new shiny ones always take the first place... I've had the book on my wishlist for at least a year but I haven't been keen on it for a while now. I've seen posters of the movie here and there and it's made me remember the book but I've been mostly like 'meh....' Maybe three weeks ago I visited my friend S with a few friends, and S is a keen reader. I noticed he had a copy of the book and I pointed at it, and he said it was great and he could lend it to me. I was like, 'meh...' :blush:

Last week I saw a copy of the novel at the library, a 'bestseller' sticker on it, meaning I could borrow it but would have only 1-2 weeks to read it (I can't remember which, 1 or 2). When I finished my then current read, I picked GG up and started it and read about 20 pages and was like, meh.... But I thought I should read it because I have to take it back so soon. 

And now I'm flying through the pages! It's loads better than I thought, and I'm so happy I carried on reading and didn't just remove the book off my wishlist. So happy to be reading it!! (It'll be interesting to see if this ramble waffle will push the book up on your TBR list :giggle2:)

Edit: Poppyshake, well done, writing the author's name with the umlauts! Did you have to google and copy+paste off a Finnish site? :blush: I appreciate the trouble you went through! 

:D  Glad to see you really enjoyed GG a lot!  And, yes, some very nice twists and turns came about making it very much more than ordinary.  I wonder though, if it's not another of those "marmite" books.....I've read some pretty nasty reviews/posts about it elsewhere. 

BTW, have tasted marmite now, don't see that much to it.  But only on the end of the spoon, not on toast....yet. Later for that. :)

I finished The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven, and considering I don't like autobiographies and celebrity memoirs usually, I absolutely adored it.  Makes me want to watch some of his films all over again.   :smile2:

I've now started The Snake, The Crocodile and the Dog by Elizabeth Peters which is the seventh in the Amelia Peabody series.

I read the Niven book many years ago, I just loved him!  Loved it. :)

I don't think I've posted about a couple of books I've finished in the last few days, no review yet though. 

The Condor Passes by Shirley Ann Grau  was a 3.5/5  good enough, atmospheric, but rather an ordinary generational, up by the bootstraps sort of story. 

and

Snowbound by Blake Crouch....a 4/5, thriller, on the run sort of story.  Some nice twists to it. 

I started In The Lake of The Woods by Tim O'Brien this morning, and a lovely, very unreliable narrator....sort of a 'is he insane or not?' story.  Gripping.

Charity shop buy today today....,£1 'The Shadow Wife'...and yes again  by Diane Chamberlain....really liking her books.

I really liked this book, I hope you like it too :)!

I'm about a third into Joe Hill - Horns. I'm really enjoying the story but I'm struggling with all the American and English slang and the American references, so it takes me a bit more time and energy to read it than most of my books. I'm also reading Richard Wiseman - Rip it Up which is interesting so far.

There should be a copy of Elling in every language. There should also be Elling - the graphic novel and a pop-up book 

Yes there should! And his poems in Sauerkraut packets :D And they need to publish all the Elling novels in English!!

A graphic novel would be great, I can just imagine it :D A pop-up book? :D A massive Kjell-Bjarne towering over the reader... In dirty underwear!

I don't know anything about King's library policemen but they are freaking me out already (if you're hiding under a chair then I'm out of the door and running down the road) Hopefully the book police are the tolerant sort because one might be tempted to hide books otherwise .. have a false wall or something and tbh I'm up to my neck in it as it is. I can just about sort out what's for dinner.

Maybe you should try reading The Library Policeman on Halloween :giggle2: Oh and if you can still sort out dinner... I'm sure your cooking will distract the Policeman and you can make a quick exit!

That's just the sort of book it is .. insidious 

An insidious book... What a great notion :D Better than an insipid book though, right? :giggle2:

Funny you should say 'insidious', because that's the name of the movie my friends back in Joensuu are going to watch on Halloween. The sequel, that is. They claim I've seen the first movie, but I have no recollections of it whatsoever. Insidious! :D

I didn't learn any of that at the museum .. I think you should go work there frankie. I can see why they wanted it changed from Brunty to Brontë .. Brontë is more romantic. Emily Brunty!! It's not the same is it? 

I wonder if they would hire me based on that piece of knowledge alone :D Hehe Brunty doesn't sound particularly romantic, does it. =P

:D  Glad to see you really enjoyed GG a lot!  And, yes, some very nice twists and turns came about making it very much more than ordinary.  I wonder though, if it's not another of those "marmite" books.....I've read some pretty nasty reviews/posts about it elsewhere.

You know, at some point, I thought I'd know where the book was going... It was well after the first 200 pages. But nope, didn't happen :D Very good! I can't imagine anyone writing a nasty review on the book, though. I mean even if someone didn't like it, I don't think there was anything too negative to say about it? :shrug: Well, different people, different tastes, different reasons to post reviews and all that jazz. 

BTW, have tasted marmite now, don't see that much to it.  But only on the end of the spoon, not on toast....yet. Later for that. :)

Put a nice 3 inch layer on the toast and then eat the toast upside down, the marmite landing straight on your tongue. And take pictures! :giggle2: 

I started In The Lake of The Woods by Tim O'Brien this morning, and a lovely, very unreliable narrator....sort of a 'is he insane or not?' story.  Gripping.

I can't remember if we've discussed Tim O'Brien before...? I've only read one of his books, Going After Cacciato. I wonder if the narrative tricks are what he does best and is most comfortable with. Based on GAC, he's very good at them, to say the least!

As for my own book activity today: I finished reading I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend last night in bed, I really liked it :) I went and borrowed the sequel earlier in the evening and I'm going to start it next. 

I'm about 27 % into 'It' by Stephen King and to be honest, I'm about to give up. There have been a few gory bits, but generally, nothing is going on! Should I continue with this?

Whaaaaattttt?? haha, i think yes you should definitely keep going, the relationship between the 'losers club' gets better and better along with the story, but at the same time if you're not enjoying it then its up to you.

I've had a bit of a splurge today and bought Sweets Made Simple by Miss Hope and Mr Greenwood, One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper, and The Quietness by Alison Rattle.

I've read a couple more chapters of The Snake, The Crocodile And The Dog by Elizabeth Peters.

Whaaaaattttt?? haha, i think yes you should definitely keep going, the relationship between the 'losers club' gets better and better along with the story, but at the same time if you're not enjoying it then its up to you.

I like the story sort of, but not sure where it is all going.

I'm about 27 % into 'It' by Stephen King and to be honest, I'm about to give up. There have been a few gory bits, but generally, nothing is going on! Should I continue with this?

I really loved the book, but it's up to you of course. The book alternates between the 'then' (1958 I think?) and the 'now' (1985?), between when the main characters were children and when they are adults. When they were children they faced IT and they're going to face it again as adults. All the storylines will come together (I hope that isn't spoiling?). 

I've had a bit of a splurge today and bought Sweets Made Simple by Miss Hope and Mr Greenwood, One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper, and The Quietness by Alison Rattle.

I hope you enjoy your new books :D!

I really loved the book, but it's up to you of course. The book alternates between the 'then' (1958 I think?) and the 'now' (1985?), between when the main characters were children and when they are adults. When they were children they faced IT and they're going to face it again as adults. All the storylines will come together (I hope that isn't spoiling?). 

I hope you enjoy your new books :D!

One minute it seems to be able 'IT' and then next, it talks about....stuff.

I'll carry on with it. It's quite a long book, so may be I'm being impatient. The funny thing is, 'The Stand' is a very long book, but didn't drag as much as this seems to be.

You know, at some point, I thought I'd know where the book was going... It was well after the first 200 pages. But nope, didn't happen :D Very good! I can't imagine anyone writing a nasty review on the book, though. I mean even if someone didn't like it, I don't think there was anything too negative to say about it? :shrug: Well, different people, different tastes, different reasons to post reviews and all that jazz. 

Put a nice 3 inch layer on the toast and then eat the toast upside down, the marmite landing straight on your tongue. And take pictures! :giggle2: 

I can't remember if we've discussed Tim O'Brien before...? I've only read one of his books, Going After Cacciato. I wonder if the narrative tricks are what he does best and is most comfortable with. Based on GAC, he's very good at them, to say the least!

As for my own book activity today: I finished reading I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend last night in bed, I really liked it :) I went and borrowed the sequel earlier in the evening and I'm going to start it next.

Ahh, I believe the bad reviews pinpointed the ending! Oh and BTW.....I'd read a while back that the movie ending was different, but yesterday I read an interview with the author, and that is not true.

LOL re the marmite, and, not bloody likely! :D

This is the first Tim O'Brian book I've read, I'll def read more.

Oh no, doesn't sound like you are enjoying it much. IT grabbed me right from the start so maybe it's just not your kind of book. I know you said you will continue with it, so I hope it improves for you.

I'm about halfway through I Am Pilgrim. This is such a good book. So, so good! :thud:

I've decided to make my way through at least a few more Lemony Snicket books (I don't plan on keeping them, so I want to reclaim some shelf space). I read The Wide Window (#3) and The Miserable Mill (#4) in the past week, and now I'm reading The Austere Academy (#5).

I've decided to make my way through at least a few more Lemony Snicket books (I don't plan on keeping them, so I want to reclaim some shelf space). I read The Wide Window (#3) and The Miserable Mill (#4) in the past week, and now I'm reading The Austere Academy (#5).

If I lived nearby you, I'd come over and buy them off you if you needed a new home for them :D.

Oh no, doesn't sound like you are enjoying it much. IT grabbed me right from the start so maybe it's just not your kind of book. I know you said you will continue with it, so I hope it improves for you.

It's a shame, because Stephen King is my favourite author. I'm about to read some more today, so hopefully it will improve.

I just finished Margaret Atwood's Year of the Flood!!  :exc: I'm so happy I persevered.  Strange book, but I am gaining a lot of... hm... admiration, for Atwood's mind.  Now on to Horns for the October read and then the final book from Atwood's trilogy, MaddAddam.  That will take me to The Maze Runner read, and that trilogy.  I can see the end of the year in my books :giggle2: