Your Book Activity - October 2014

Athena

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back to Atwood's MaddAddam Trilogy.  I will be reading Horns in the next few days, I'm kinda sorta waiting for Athena to get hers.  Fun!  BB, looking forward to discussing in the Horns thread, I hope you are feeling better :flowers2:

I finished Cockoo's Calling and really enjoyed it!

I'm glad you enjoyed it!  I just couldn't get through the first 50 pages!

Started I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes....what a brilliant start! :boogie:

Yays!  :D

I've started, well am about halfway through, The Condor Passes by Shirley Ann Grau.  Fascinating generational story of a family.  Grau's descriptions of people and places is wonderfully atmospheric.  A good deal of the book takes place in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, so I well know the places she is describing and she captures it exactly, and richly.

I also enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling!

I finished The Wedding Gift - really good read about women in slavery and on plantations in 1850s Alabama. Although I didn't really understand the ending!

Now onto The Sky of Red Poppies by Zohreh Gharemani, which is set in 1960s Iran. Only just starting but reckon this could be a harrowing one.

Now onto The Sky of Red Poppies by Zohreh Gharemani, which is set in 1960s Iran. Only just starting but reckon this could be a harrowing one.

That sounds good- I looked it up and downloaded the sample!

Finished listening to Caitlin Moran's How to Build a Girl .. almost laughed myself sick :D Started The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen .. enjoying it very much and have downloaded Clare Balding's new book about walking. Hope it will inspire me to get off my backside before permanent damage is done :blush2:  

I finished my previous read and started reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I'm enjoying the story, although I'm not too keen on the author's style. I don't know how much it has to do with me reading a Finnish translation. 

I've got this one on the shelf .. I was quite eager to start it when I bought it but didn't for some reason and now it's been there practically all year and I find I'm less and less inclined  :blush2: That's the same with most of my books though .. the new shiny ones look best :blush2: Perhaps your thoughts on it will change my mind :D xx 

I'm reading M. C. Beaton's Death of a Cad. I found two books in the series that I had not read so I'm reading them through the amazon/kindle library. Its almost time for me to get into my fantasy books. I tend to read certain books seasonally. Hmmm, might be an interesting topic!

Her writing

style is not my favorite, but it fits in with the story, I think.  After a certain point it becomes more interesting.

Your comment was not spoilery, but my reaction to it might be so I've put yours in spoilers tags. I now know what you mean! :D Good stuff! I have 136 pages to finish and I really want to finish today, I can't wait to read on :exc:

Finished listening to Caitlin Moran's How to Build a Girl .. almost laughed myself sick. Started The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen .. enjoying it very much and have downloaded Clare Balding's new book about walking. Hope it will inspire me to get off my backside before permanent damage is done 

I'm very happy and excited that you are enjoying The Rabbit Back Literature Society!! :smile2: I saw an English copy of it at the library last week and was thrilled that they've acquired it in English too, in case any foreigners or immigrants want to read it :)

I've got this one on the shelf .. I was quite eager to start it when I bought it but didn't for some reason and now it's been there practically all year and I find I'm less and less inclined. That's the same with most of my books though .. the new shiny ones look best. Perhaps your thoughts on it will change my mind xx 

I know what you mean, new shiny ones always take the first place... I've had the book on my wishlist for at least a year but I haven't been keen on it for a while now. I've seen posters of the movie here and there and it's made me remember the book but I've been mostly like 'meh....' :blush: Maybe three weeks ago I visited my friend S with a few friends, and S is a keen reader. I noticed he had a copy of the book and I pointed at it, and he said it was great and he could lend it to me. I was like, 'meh...' :blush:

Last week I saw a copy of the novel at the library, a 'bestseller' sticker on it, meaning I could borrow it but would have only 1-2 weeks to read it (I can't remember which, 1 or 2). When I finished my then current read, I picked GG up and started it and read about 20 pages and was like, meh.... But I thought I should read it because I have to take it back so soon. 

And now I'm flying through the pages! It's loads better than I thought, and I'm so happy I carried on reading and didn't just remove the book off my wishlist. So happy to be reading it!! :exc: (It'll be interesting to see if this ramble waffle will push the book up on your TBR list :giggle2:)

Edit: Poppyshake, well done, writing the author's name with the umlauts! :D Did you have to google and copy+paste off a Finnish site? :blush: I appreciate the trouble you went through! 

Edited by frankie

I've got this one on the shelf .. I was quite eager to start it when I bought it but didn't for some reason and now it's been there practically all year and I find I'm less and less inclined :blush2: That's the same with most of my books though .. the new shiny ones look best :blush2: Perhaps your thoughts on it will change my mind :D xx

I get that too sometimes :).

I've reached 50% in Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood, part two in the MaddAddam Trilogy  :exc:  :exc:

Congratulations!!

EDIT: My copy of Horns has arrived :exc: :exc:!

Edited by Athena

I finished reading Gone Girl last night. Very good :D 

Then I started reading I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison. I wasn't too impressed at first: one event was told in numerous pages and I thought it could've done some editing. But I'd been so excited about reading the book that I carried on, and I've really liked it so far. It's nothing incredibly amazing, but I'm enjoying it :) Some Austenites on here might be interested in reading the book. I keep thinking of chesilbeach! :D 

(I don't like the cover of the book on the link. My copy is a different one, more girly and diary-ish.)

I finished reading Gone Girl last night. Very good :D

That's great to hear :D. It's on my TBR.

I'm currently reading Joe Hill - Horns (October Group Read) and Richard Wiseman - Rip it Up (nonfiction book about psychology). The latter book wants you to rip certain pages out and write in it, no way I'm doing that :blush2:. For people who have the ebook there's a file online you can print and then use those pages, I think I will do that instead as I really don't want to destroy my own pretty paperbook. I'm not too far yet in either of the two books, but I'm enjoying them so far.

I'm very happy and excited that you are enjoying The Rabbit Back Literature Society!! I saw an English copy of it at the library last week and was thrilled that they've acquired it in English too, in case any foreigners or immigrants want to read it.

Still loving it :) Glad to hear that they're stocking it in English too .. what's the usual rules about that? Do they stock a lot of English copies .. or only of popular books or is it random? 

I know what you mean, new shiny ones always take the first place... I've had the book on my wishlist for at least a year but I haven't been keen on it for a while now. I've seen posters of the movie here and there and it's made me remember the book but I've been mostly like 'meh....' Maybe three weeks ago I visited my friend S with a few friends, and S is a keen reader. I noticed he had a copy of the book and I pointed at it, and he said it was great and he could lend it to me. I was like, 'meh...'

Last week I saw a copy of the novel at the library, a 'bestseller' sticker on it, meaning I could borrow it but would have only 1-2 weeks to read it (I can't remember which, 1 or 2). When I finished my then current read, I picked GG up and started it and read about 20 pages and was like, meh.... But I thought I should read it because I have to take it back so soon. 

And now I'm flying through the pages! It's loads better than I thought, and I'm so happy I carried on reading and didn't just remove the book off my wishlist. So happy to be reading it!! (It'll be interesting to see if this ramble waffle will push the book up on your TBR list.)

Well, if that's not a reason to stick at stuff I don't know what is :D Perhaps there should be some sort of book police who come around your house and order you to read un-read books .. especially if they've been on the shelf a while (oh Lord! Carter Beats the Devil  :o  :hide: ) .. first it's like a friendly warning but then violence might ensue (bit drastic?  :D ) I could do with some encouragement anyway .. which is what you have given me  :hug:  

Edit: Poppyshake, well done, writing the author's name with the umlauts! :D Did you have to google and copy+paste off a Finnish site? I appreciate the trouble you went through!

I did have to copy and paste  :D I did well actually .. the Brontë family don't always receive the same consideration  :D

Then I started reading I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison. I wasn't too impressed at first: one event was told in numerous pages and I thought it could've done some editing. But I'd been so excited about reading the book that I carried on, and I've really liked it so far. It's nothing incredibly amazing, but I'm enjoying it :) Some Austenites on here might be interested in reading the book. I keep thinking of chesilbeach! :D

(I don't like the cover of the book on the link. My copy is a different one, more girly and diary-ish.)

I've just looked it up on Amazon UK, and it has a different cover, and it's also reasonably priced for the Kindle version, so I've added it to my wish list. Thanks! :D

In my own bookish activity, I've got one chapter left of David Niven's autobiography, The Moon's A Balloon, and it was so moving in the last couple of chapters, I actually sat at my desk with tears running down my face at lunchtime.  Great stuff.

Still loving it. Glad to hear that they're stocking it in English too .. what's the usual rules about that? Do they stock a lot of English copies .. or only of popular books or is it random? 

That is a really good question. (Oh and there's a copy of Elling in English at the library! Whenever I visit the English lit section, I see it and it makes me smile like an idiot, LOL.)

I don't think they stock a whole lot of Finnish titles in English. Maybe they do more so over here, in the south, where there are more immigrants and foreigners. It's usually classics like Sinuhe the Egyptian and The Howling Miller and The Unknown Soldier. Then they have books that have been widely appreciated by readers and critics. Like Oksanen's Purge. And a few sci-fi/fantasy novels, like this one and this one.

Well, if that's not a reason to stick at stuff I don't know what is. Perhaps there should be some sort of book police who come around your house and order you to read un-read books .. especially if they've been on the shelf a while (oh Lord! Carter Beats the Devil  ) .. first it's like a friendly warning but then violence might ensue (bit drastic?  ) I could do with some encouragement anyway .. which is what you have given me 

I'd love a nice friendly book police =D Although s/he would have to take into account the fact that there are quite a few books on one's TBR ... :blush: The idea reminds me of The Library Policeman by Stephen King. I would not like anything like that  :hide:

Remember how I told you months ago that there's a copy of CBtD at the Joensuu library. Well, when I moved, I thought maybe I will now be rid of the idea of having to read the book. But there are copies at the local libraries over here, too.... ! :thud::D

I did have to copy and paste. I did well actually .. the Brontë family don't always receive the same consideration

Poor Brontës :D Funny thing about them, though. I remember when we read JE for our British lit class and our Brit professor talked about the surname. They were originally Brunty, but for some reason the father wanted to change the name. I believe he originally wanted to go for Bronte, but as our prof pointed out, it would've been pronounced as 'Bront' and that apparently means thunder, but also large animals and so he thought it would've implied they were somewhat on the plump side :D So he resorted to the ë to make the surname a two syllable name. :giggle2:

Yes, this is probably one of the maybe three things I remember from our Brit lit classes :D It really pays to go to uni...

I've just looked it up on Amazon UK, and it has a different cover, and it's also reasonably priced for the Kindle version, so I've added it to my wish list. Thanks!

You're welcome! I've been meaning to tell you about the book for as long as I've had the copy but have always forgotten. If you hadn't noticed your username in bold red on this thread, I would've eventually come over to your log, I swear! :D 

The library copy has this cover, I like it the best: 

6853842.jpg

Edit: poppyshake: maybe I should send you a Finnish keyboard with the ä's and ö's :giggle2: To make life easier for you! 

Edited by frankie

October?? Already?? Oh my .. is it only me or time is really running a little too fast?

Anyway, I'm reading some italian authors, lately, not so interesting. But I tokk note of the books you mentioned, my dears, so I can start looking for them and read something "better" as soon as I ended my "have-to-read" pile.

October?? Already?? Oh my .. is it only me or time is really running a little too fast?

Anyway, I'm reading some italian authors, lately, not so interesting. But I tokk note of the books you mentioned, my dears, so I can start looking for them and read something "better" as soon as I ended my "have-to-read" pile.

Hey Ele :), I hope your reading will be more interesting for you soon.