Malazan: Memories of Ice discussion thread (spoilers)

Karsa Orlong

Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson

Book 3 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen

post-6588-0-73109500-1411207501_thumb.jpg

This thread is for discussion of Memories of Ice, and will contain spoilers for this book.  For any comments about related events/characters/plot from the later books in the series, please use spoiler tags.

From Amazon:

The ravaged continent of Genabackis has given birth to a terrifying new empire: the Pannion Domin. Like a fanatical tide of corrupted blood, it seethes across the land, devouring all who fail to heed the Word of its elusive prophet, the Pannion Seer. In its path stands an uneasy alliance: Dujek Onearm's Host and the Bridgeburners ­ each now outlawed by the Empress ­ alongside their enemies of old including the grim forces of Warlord Caladan Brood, Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness, and his Tiste Andii, and the Rhivi people of the Plains.

But more ancient clans too are gathering. As if in answer to some primal summons, the massed ranks of the undead T'lan Imass have risen. For it would seem something altogether darker and more malign threatens the very substance of this world. The Warrens are poisoned and rumours abound of the Crippled God, now unchained and intent on a terrible revenge...

Marking the return of many favourite characters from GARDENS OF THE MOON and introducing a host of remarkable new players, MEMORIES OF ICE is a thrilling new chapter in Erikson's magnificent epic fantasy and another triumph of storytelling.

I'm only at page 72 as I'm not quite in the mood for it today, but boy, does that man know how to write an epic prologue. :D

Can't help thinking that maybe Kruppe's dream about the Mhybe might have been better suited somewhere in the MoI prologue rather than in the middle of GotM, though. :unsure:

Oh, the Mhybe is the WORST. :(

Yeah.  It's annoying, because motherhood seems to be a recurring theme throughout the book, but those sections just drive me to distraction.

Lady Envy and the Seguleh compensate for it, though.  And everything about the T'Lan Imass  :D   I love Whiskeyjack telling Rake the story of Quick Ben, too. 

I was worried that I wasn't going to enjoy this at all.  I just wasn't in the mood when I started it, and it was feeling like a bit of a slog :(

Shouldn't have worried, though, it's sucked me in as usual :D   I'm now even okay with the Mhybe sections.  I hate them, but I'm okay with them, because they're not lasting as long as I remembered them being.

Got to say, I think the Children of the Dead Seed is possibly the most horrific idea he's come up with.  Ugh!  I mean why would he even think of something like that?  Why?  Why?  WHY??? :giggle2:

I'm finding on this read through a newfound respect for Itkovian.  I know people have raved about him before now, but I never really got it, I guess because he's so formal.  But the scene where he led the last remaining Grey Swords to Jelarkan's palace and faced off against Anaster was just incredible :o  Especially after he'd witnessed Brukhalian's sacrifice :(

Same goes for Gruntle, too.  I always liked him, but this time through I'm finding him even more awesome :cool:

I'm still on page 72. :giggle:

He says in the acknowledgements "thanks to John Meaney for the disgusting details on dead seeds", so looks like we have that guy to thank for it. :lol:

And to think I nearly bought the first of his Ragnarok trilogy a few months back :lol:

I just got my post spat back at me because we posted at the exact same moment. :o (The gist of it was "I'm still on page 72" :rolleyes: )

Quick Ben hurling Korbal Broach through a wall.  Bauchelain doesn't bat an eyelid, says to QB: "More wine?"

I nearly fell off the chair I was laughing so much :lol:

A great moment. :D I remember that was when I first realised how awesome QB is. :cool:

Still on page 72? :giggle2:

I had to make a list last night.  There are so many things that happen in the last few pages of this book.  I'm going to put this in spoiler tags regardless cos I really don't want Tim to stumble across it by accident ;)

Whiskeyjack :cry:
Itkovian  :cry:
Hedge :(
Paran blessing the fallen Bridgeburners
Korlat and Orfantal vowing to find Kallor
How Whiskeyjack's death affected poor Mallet
Dujek freeing the remaining Bridgeburners and sending them to Darujhistan where Baruk had had a certain someone delivered to him by the Trygalle Trade Guild

Onos and Toc/Anaster
Onos and Hetan meeting :giggle2: 

And then the epilogue . . .

'If that would help. More directly, however, you seem to forget my… experience. For all that I seem to grate upon all of you, I have walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes. You never learn, Kallor.'

- Kallor & Caladan Brood

:D 

'If that would help. More directly, however, you seem to forget my… experience. For all that I seem to grate upon all of you, I have walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes. You never learn, Kallor.'

- Kallor & Caladan Brood

:D 

^^^ This used to be my signature over on the Malazan forum. :D

I don't understand most of what's in these Malazan threads

Ditto, I feel like I'm reading them with you all- you all are just doing the hard work :giggle2:

^^^ This used to be my signature over on the Malazan forum. :D

There's a whole forum for this series?  Good gracious!

:lol:

I think I'll have to change mine to:

"Hood's marble balls on an anvil..."

:lol:

Surrre- I don't even get your current one! :P

And I'd forgotten that Tool and Kilava had two brothers. Tool says they went away to war and never came back: I wonder if they'll appear in any of ICE's novels??

Good question!  I wish I could say I was enthusiastic about finding out . . .  :lol: 

I just loved Tool in this book.  His, erm, troubles with the Seguleh were brilliant :D

I just loved Tool in this book.  His, erm, troubles with the Seguleh were brilliant :D

I love how cool he is about being awesome, as in his throwaway comments about using the flat of his blade. :D

I've just read up to where the Bridgeburners arrive in Capustan. The whole 'defence of Capustan' was quite a lot shorter than I remember it being. :unsure: