Your Book Activity - March 2014

Kylie

I tried reading the sample for American psycho and it just didn't grab me.  So I started on When I found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  It's really good, I bought it from Kindle on sale.  Posting my review of The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared on my thread shortly :smile:  

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having difficulty getting into The Casual Vacancy  :wacko:

I found it a bit difficult to read, mostly because I hated every single character! In my opinion, it gets better plot-wise, and I even kind of liked a couple of characters by the end. I hope it picks up for you! :)

I've only done a little reading today. Most of book(ish) activity revolved around collecting up all of my bookmarks that were scattered around the house and putting them nice and tidily into a box (oh my goodness, I have a lot of bookmarks!)

I've been reading all day!

Finished When I Found You (5/5) and am now 50% through And The Mountains Echoed.

Edited by Anna Begins

I really enjoyed this, but I had the same problem with the character seeming to be much older than he actually was (it doesn't really get any better).

x

Thanks! I'm enjoying it a lot too other than that point. Shame it doesn't get any better, though it's still a good book to read, so far at least.

Am reading A Game Of Thrones in paperback. Enjoying it, and puzzling over various characters.

Have been buying a lot for my kindle as I got a voucher for my birthday, but not sure what to read on there next.

This morning, I've started On the Beach by Nevil Shute.....the April Reading Circle choice.  I'm only 30-odd pages in, but loving Shute's laid back style.  The style is a bit reminiscent of John Wyndham's cool style, I think. 

Earlier today I finished reading Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay.  Loved her writing style and the book, still thinking about the ending.

Next I'm debating among How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donahue, The Rosie Project, or something else entirely.

Edited by dtrpath27

Whipped through And The Mountains Echoed (viewed on my thread) and went through about a dozen samples on my kindle before settling on Valley Of The Horses by Jean M Auel.

This morning, I've started On the Beach by Nevil Shute.....the April Reading Circle choice.  I'm only 30-odd pages in, but loving Shute's laid back style.  The style is a bit reminiscent of John Wyndham's cool style, I think.

x

That's great to read :)! I have the book somewhere as I read it while I was in secondary school for my English class, but I don't know if I can find it before April so I can read it again.. 

Halfway through Stephen Baxters Proxima, not my usual kind of book but its very good so far.

x

That's great :)

Next I'm debating among How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donahue, The Rosie Project, or something else entirely.

x

The first one's on my wishlist, the second one on my TBR. I just started reading it yesterday actually and am really enjoying it so far :).

Whipped through And The Mountains Echoed (viewed on my thread) and went through about a dozen samples on my kindle before settling on Valley Of The Horses by Jean M Auel.

x

I'll be sure to read your thread soon, I hope you like Valley of the Horses :).

Started and gave up quickly on Apple Tree Yard, now starting Jodi Piccoult's The Storyteller.

x

I hope you like The Storyteller :)!

Three quarters way through John Wilcox's WW1 novel Starshine,and will probably be reading Paul Fraser Collard's Crimean historical adventure,The Scarlet Thief next.

Finished The Help and I really enjoyed it: the italian translation is rather good this time. Also finished Shusterman's Unwind but I'm not too sure about that: I really loved the story, I appreciated the strong theme (which created a lot of discussions among the teens I help) but I didn't like the style. There is something about the writer that can't truly convince me ..

x

Thanks! I'm enjoying it a lot too other than that point. Shame it doesn't get any better, though it's still a good book to read, so far at least.

Just to clarify, I'd say the book itself definitely gets better! It has an excellent ending (in my opinion). I just meant that the age thing doesn't change/get better, but he does age throughout the book, so on reflection I guess it gets a little better because you could say he 'grows into' his way of speaking a little bit.

It's been years since I read this, but I don't remember this as being an issue.  I thought it fit given the overall theme and the character's circumstances.  Now this makes me want to read it again.  Add one more to the list!

Oh I found it so irritating! I just don't think a six-year-old would ever speak like an adult, no matter how incredibly smart he is! But it's obviously a matter of opinion because my BF didn't have a problem with it either. :)

Earlier today I finished reading Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay.  Loved her writing style and the book, still thinking about the ending.

If everyone else's comments are anything to go by (and I would say they are!), it seems you can't go wrong with The Rosie Project. :)

I really should be reading Dune for the reading circle, but I've gotten totally absorbed in Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures in the past week, and I'm nearing the end, so I'll be finishing that before I get back to Dune.

I'm about 80% through Life After Life. My mind keeps wandering while I'm reading it, and by the time I realise, I have to back-track to see what I missed. :thud:

LOL, I hate that! 

I've started The Sound and the Fury, determined to get through Benjy's section this time! 

Just to clarify, I'd say the book itself definitely gets better! It has an excellent ending (in my opinion). I just meant that the age thing doesn't change/get better, but he does age throughout the book, so on reflection I guess it gets a little better because you could say he 'grows into' his way of speaking a little bit.

Oh I found it so irritating! I just don't think a six-year-old would ever speak like an adult, no matter how incredibly smart he is! But it's obviously a matter of opinion because my BF didn't have a problem with it either. :)

x

It bothered me a bit in the beginning but when I really got into the story it didn't seem so important anymore and I was able to enjoy the story for what it was.