Your Book Activity - February 2014

Janet

Feel like I've been reading loads lately. :boogie:

x

That's a great feeling :)!

I've finished reading Veronica Roth - Divergent 3: Allegiant. I'm not sure yet what to read next, I'll have a think about it. Probably something less actiony though. I'm thinking of reading a contemporary fiction book or a fantasy book, but I'm not sure yet.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the first Hamish Macbeth book this morning, and damn it, I liked it, so that's another 28 books to add to my wish list! (Actually, the first four came in a single omnibus, so it's only another 25 books :D).

I had to put aside The Pursuit of Love last week as it wouldn't fit in my bag, so had started a Kindle book instead, but will be going back to it now, as I was really enjoying it. :)

I finally finished A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. What a great book! I could've read on and on... But I am glad to have finally finished it. It was such a long novel, and such a heavy book. Not at all ideal for reading in bed.

I have no idea what to read next. It has to be something short, something whimsical... Something funny, perhaps. Something completely different.

I have no idea what to read next. It has to be something short, something whimsical... Something funny, perhaps. Something completely different.

I know something that fits all of those criteria: The Phantom Tollbooth! :D

I've become absorbed in Escape from Camp 14 today.

Since I was last on I've err, read Attachments, which was enjoyable, a bit cute a bit funny, and with a bit of meaning, but I wouldn't say it met up to the hype. What else...err I finished Little Women, which I can see maybe have liking ten or so years ago, but found a bit preachy (full review is on my blog). Finished A Long Thaw by Katie O'Rourke which I was reading as a review request. I read the author's previous novel which I enjoyed, but I think this one was better.

Now I'm reading Game of Thrones on paper. It's been on my TBR shelf for years, it just looked so daunting! Haven't started a new kindle book yet, and not sure what I will read on it.

Finished Elizabeth of York by Alison Weir tonight.  I thought it would take longer but the last 15% of the book was pictures, household names, further reading, etc.  This was one of her best (although she never lets me down!).  It gets easier with each book, as I learn who is who in different courts.

Might start on her Six Wives of Henry VIII next.

I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which I loved. It's the best book I've read so far this year by far.

Oh, what a brilliant, heartwarming book it is :wub: Very happy to hear you enjoyed it! :)

I started my second book by Karin Brunk Holmqvist, who wrote one of my favorite books of last year. This is another book of the elderly. Very good so far :)

I'm reading the first Adrian Mole book by Sue Townsend on my Nook (it's a download from the library) - but I got to April 3rd (second year of diary) and there is no more.   I'm sure it can't just stop there with ellipses!   I guess it didn't download fully.  I went to my Mum's library this morning to borrow it in paper form but it wasn't on the shelf and they couldn't find it.  I'm destined not to finish it!  :rolleyes:

Awww Janet :(.

I've started to read Jodi Picoult - The Storyteller so far it's good but I haven't read that much yet (instead I was cataloguing my new books). It's maybe strange but for an average sized or a big book, it usually takes me much longer to read the first 100 pages than the last 100 pages.

I'm very much like that too Athena. In the first 100 pages we are getting the flavour of the characters and story, and therefore I feel I read more slowly and also read for less time. In the last 100 I am racing towards the end (if it's a good book!) so read quicker and more. 

I find with series I will read the second and third books quicker than the first for the same reason. 

I am struggling to get into Dracula at the moment, but I have been away with work for the last week snatching a few pages here and there so I think that's the main reason. 

I'm reading the first Adrian Mole book by Sue Townsend on my Nook (it's a download from the library) - but I got to April 3rd (second year of diary) and there is no more.   I'm sure it can't just stop there with ellipses!   I guess it didn't download fully.  I went to my Mum's library this morning to borrow it in paper form but it wasn't on the shelf and they couldn't find it.  I'm destined not to finish it!   :rolleyes:

Awww Janet :(

I tracked a copy down in a different library and it does stop in an abrupt fashion! :blush::lol: I'm going to have to read the sequel now!

I know! :lol:

On the plus side, I've never been to Westbury library before so it was a good excuse to visit - and it's a gorgeous building! :D

Oops Jänet :giggle2::D Way to go for finding the silver lining, though! Libraries are wonderful :smile2:

Just wanted to post a quick and hopefully unobtrusive :P  reminder regarding the April Reading Circle vote.  It's coming down to the wire, voting ends Saturday Midnight, my time.  Dystopian/Apocalyptic fiction.  Them that wants to vote, vote! :D 

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12590-april-2014-reading-circle-poll/page-?mode=show

Just finished The Humans by Matt Hoag, Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan and Austenland by Shannon Hale.  I'm currently re-reading Tale of Two Cities, which I am enjoying, and Last of the Mohicans, which I am considering setting aside for a couple of other books on my nightstand.

I started Pet Sematary by Stephen King last night. I know the story as I've read it before, and I'm dreading what is going to happen. :hide:

Love that book, first read it when i was 10, loved it ever since. The films brilliant too i think (although a lot of people disagree). I think the man who plays Jud Crandall is suited to that role.

Oops Jänet :giggle2::D Way to go for finding the silver lining, though! Libraries are wonderful :smile2:

They sure are! :)

I picked up More Awkward Situations for Men by Danny Wallace for £1.25 in a charity shop yesterday so I started that last night.

I started Pet Sematary by Stephen King last night. I know the story as I've read it before, and I'm dreading what is going to happen. :hide:

I don't know if you're being very brave or just plain crazy :hide:  :lol::friends3:   Enjoy! As it is to be enjoyed...

They sure are! :)

I picked up More Awkward Situations for Men by Danny Wallace for £1.25 in a charity shop yesterday so I started that last night.

Oooh, bargain! Great find :)

On page 72 of my current read. I've discovered what the title is about (Coffee with Music)! It's coffee with the optional addition of whisky :D Reminds me of The Men from the Ministry :)