Michelle's Reading in 2014

Michelle

I wasn't really sure about Replay, but as it came so highly recommended on here, I decided to give it a try, and I was impressed. I liked the way he tried to live a different life each time, and the connection between him and Pamela was also interesting. Good book! :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't really sure about Replay, but as it came so highly recommended on here, I decided to give it a try, and I was impressed. I liked the way he tried to live a different life each time, and the connection between him and Pamela was also interesting. Good book! :)

I remember vividly when I was reading it and Pamela was first mentioned - that was the moment when the book went from being good to being great, for me.  My immediate reaction was:

"Hang on a minute, what happened to Star Wars??" :o  :lol: 

I think you read Among Others, didn't you, Michelle?  Jo Walton wrote a critique of Replay over on Tor.com, if you're interested :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

My latest audio book was The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey, a book I'd like to recommend, but can't say much about! We're introduced to Melanie, who's kept in a cell, and is taken to her lessons strapped to her wheelchair. This is normal to Melanie, and when she jokes to the adults that she won't bite them, they don't laugh.

Yes, this is a type of zombie book, but it takes a rather different approach. The cause of the 'hungries' is different to what I've read before, and the book is very much character driven. Definitely one to check out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 2 reviews to get done now - the 1st is for Glaze by Kim Curran - this is a YA book being released in May, and is a rather frightening look at what our future of social networking could look like, and how far it could be taken.

The 2nd is for The Machine by James Smythe - I picked this up in Waterstones yesterday, when it jumped out at me. I've been literally unable to put it down, and for me, it's been one of those 'wow' books.. although I know it won't be for everyone. Has anyone else read anything by him?

Added: Review done!

Just seeing this, glad to hear it! :)

Just finished a very quick read, one of the £1 books, The Boy in the Smoke by Maureen Johnson - for anyone who's read The Name of the Star, it's a little of Stephen's back story. For anyone who hasn't read it, it's a good introduction, to see if you would like her style.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to write a proper review of Above by Isla Morley, but I just wanted to quickly mention it here. It was sent to me pre-publication, although it has already been published in the US. It tells the story of Blythe, who's kidnapped as a teen, and held captive for many years. The point is, there comes a point half way through the book where she manages to escape, but from here the story is really not what you expect. To me, discovering that for yourself is an important part of the reading experience, and if you read reviews which give the 2nd half away (and many do), something is lost. So if there's even the slightest chance that you might try it, please avoid reviews (apart from mine, as I'm not sharing the second half. :)).

It annoys me when reviewers give away so much of the plot, not to mention when the blurb on the cover sometimes does it.  It's like being told who Keyser Soze is before you've seen The Usual Suspects (I will never forgive a friend of mine for this particular transgression! :lol: ).  I've quickly learned not to read the introductions in the SF Masterworks editions, too, as they have a habit of telling you the whole plot :rolleyes:

I think people write reviews in 2 different ways - for some, they want to share the thoughts they had on the book, the storyline etc, and this usually involves discussing important points. For me though, I want to give people an idea of what to expect, so they can choose whether to buy or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 review books recently, from a publisher I've known for some time. Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson (review) and The Voices by F.R. Tallis (review). I'm also listening to 14 by Peter Clines, another one which is a slow burn, but rather addictive. I got over half way with Eon by Greg Bear, but I think I'm giving up on that one.

I got over half way with Eon by Greg Bear, but I think I'm giving up on that one.

Oh dear, I feel bad now :(  I was kind of dubious about it when I mentioned it in your suggestions thread, I must admit, but the similarities to Rendezvous With Rama seemed to fit some of your criteria at the time.  Sorry it didn't work out.

Oh no, don't feel bad.. I was really enjoying it until about half way, and I can see the Rama similarities. It was when they went through the tunnel I started to lose interest a little. It wasn't helped by the fact that it was audio, and I kept falling asleep and losing my place! I may come back to it. :)

The kids are back at school, and I have one final day off before I go back to work. I've just been transferring this list to LibraryThing, and so have had a little review. I'm surprised by the lack of audio books this year, but I'm finding it hard to settle on them at the moment, and I know I have many unfinished. :( I should be adding 14 by Peter Clines soon, just a few chapters to go. :)

With regards to physical books, I've done quite well up until now. It's been nice not have too many review books to think about, although I have read a couple recently. I'm about half way through another, Before You Die by Samantha Hayes. Things may then slow down a bit, as I decided to buy A Games of Thrones yesterday. I read a few chapters, and am keen to continue, but it's a big book, so it'll take me a while! :D

I ended up loving 14 by Peter Clines, despite it having a slowish start - I'll write a proper review soon. I quickly moved onto Ex Heroes by him, as I love his style, and I can see myself racing through all 4 books. I've also started Game of Thrones, but I was wondering if the audio will be better for me - I have this strange thing that I'm not so keen working through a long book, but I don't mind with audio. So, Game of Thrones has been bought as an audio book, and I've ordered the Peter Clines as paperbacks. :)