Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

I've decided to read as many WW1 books this year to commemorate the start of the War in 1914.  I'm presently reading August 1914 by Solzhenitzyn and I'm looking forward to Helen Dunmore's new book to be released next week - The Lie.  At least there is plenty of reading material out ther.

I may start a reading list for 2014 to see how(if) I can keep this up. 

Can I recommend a book if you haven't already read it - William - An Englishman by Cecily Hamilton.  It's a Persephone book, so a little pricey, but I thought it was completely worth it, and one of the few books to get my top rating.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the recommendation Claire - I've look up the book and it's right up my street. I'm a great follower of Persephone books.

I hope you enjoyed Turn of the Screw!! :smile:

My book activity since December 31, 2013. Last year, in 2013, I read 82 books which is the most I have ever read in a single year.

YTD - 2014:

The Secret of Two Hawks – Jonas Kirby (Currently reading)

The Bounty Hunters  -Leonard Elmore

Night Passage – Robert B. Parker

Three-Ten To Yuma – Leonard Elmore

Hombre – Leonard Elmore

Valdez Is Coming – Leonard Elmore

x

I hope your mojo comes back soon! It's not nice like that :(. I hope the weather clears up for you soon, I've heard it's pretty bad in some areas of the United States and Canada.

Thanks, Gaia.  The weather was bad, for us.  But in comparison to further North, we are fortunate!  No snow, no below zero temps.  I count that as a good thing. :)

I bought three kindle books on amazon, which has finally got an .com.au address!

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin

Animal farm - George Orwell

Wastelands stories of the apocalypse - various authors

I think I might have Wastelands on my kindle.  I have something like that, can't remember exactly about the author/s...I'll check it out.

My book activity since December 31, 2013. Last year, in 2013, I read 82 books which is the most I have ever read in a single year.

YTD - 2014:

The Secret of Two Hawks – Jonas Kirby (Currently reading)

The Bounty Hunters  -Leonard Elmore

Night Passage – Robert B. Parker

Three-Ten To Yuma – Leonard Elmore

Hombre – Leonard Elmore

Valdez Is Coming – Leonard Elmore

Nice titles, muggle.  Glomming on Elmore I see.  :D

I bought three kindle books on amazon, which has finally got an .com.au address!

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin

I loved Animal Farm and reasonably enjoyed We.

I'm pretty sure I have an ebook of Wastelands too. Enjoy!

I've read a little of The Secret History today.

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin

x

Congrats on your new books :)! I haven't yet read Animal Farm but I've heard good things about it.

I finished The President's Hat this afternoon, but now have to do what I've been putting off since last month, and that's read my reading group book for next weeks meeting.  It's a Jeffrey Archer.  I know I shouldn't prejudge it, but I'm really not looking forward to it!

I finished The President's Hat this afternoon, but now have to do what I've been putting off since last month, and that's read my reading group book for next weeks meeting.  It's a Jeffrey Archer.  I know I shouldn't prejudge it, but I'm really not looking forward to it!

He has a good reputation as a writer but, must admit, I've never been able to put my prejudices to one side in order to read him. Look forward to hearing your opinion anyway Claire to see if I've been cutting off my nose etc :D

Started Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjørnsen and am going great guns with it .. well over a hundred pages read already and it's a delight (and making me laugh .. so thanks frankie for sending it for Christmas  :hug: )

He has a good reputation as a writer but, must admit, I've never been able to put my prejudices to one side in order to read him. Look forward to hearing your opinion anyway Claire to see if I've been cutting off my nose etc :D

I've just realised the title of the book is Only Time Will Tell … oh yes, Jeffrey, indeed it will.  :D

Edited by chesilbeach

.. is it one of his greatest hits?

I've no idea!  I've just looked it up and it was only published in 2011, so I guess not, although does he have "greatest hits"?  He's an author I've never even considered reading before, but looking at his list of books on Fantastic Fiction, and the ones I sort of recollect having heard of before are all from 70s and 80s.

I've no idea!  I've just looked it up and it was only published in 2011, so I guess not, although does he have "greatest hits"?  He's an author I've never even considered reading before, but looking at his list of books on Fantastic Fiction, and the ones I sort of recollect having heard of before are all from 70s and 80s.

I was thinking mainly of Kane and Abel, Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less and First Among Equals (always burned into my head ... thanks to Jasper playing with it for a title :D) so all from the 70's/80's as you say (and Kane and Abel got into the BBC's Big Read Top 100.) I just looked up Only Time Will Tell and the reviews look favourable so you'll definitely get the full flavour :D The story is set in an interesting period in time too so hopefully that will be in it's favour (I'm thinking of you Claire .. rather than Jeffrey :D)

I was thinking mainly of Kane and Abel, Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less and First Among Equals (always burned into my head ... thanks to Jasper playing with it for a title :D) so all from the 70's/80's as you say (and Kane and Abel got into the BBC's Big Read Top 100.) I just looked up Only Time Will Tell and the reviews look favourable so you'll definitely get the full flavour :D The story is set in an interesting period in time too so hopefully that will be in it's favour (I'm thinking of you Claire .. rather than Jeffrey :D)

I read some of Archer's books, years ago.....a couple of ones to do with Kane and Abel....there was a sequel, I believe.  But I've got some of his short stories as well.  To Cut A Long Story Short has a couple of the very best short stories I've read.  The last one in the book as I recall was absolutely fabulous! 

Y'all seem to really dislike him.....I know he went to prison for a few years and all that, but it wasn't a violent crime, as I recall.  Is he thought of that badly over there?

I brought The Book Thief today! I've been wanting to read this for ages so when I saw it in asda I just had to buy it hehe :P

x

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)!

Really enjoying 'The Bay at Midnight' by Diane Chamberlain

x

I'm glad to hear that :)!

I've read a bit yesterday but not a lot, since I felt too tired. The Wheel of Time series has a lot of characters and doesn't read as easily as some ie. chick-lit books. I'm really enjoying reading it but it tires me out a bit more than an easier book. Hmm, maybe I should start reading another book that I can read when I feel more tired, or something.

Edited by Athena