Steve's Bookshelf 2014

Karsa Orlong

Oh nothing, I just think it aged very fast in style. i had it for two years, and at the time it looked pretty awesome. My partner wants to build a pc, and said he would have it if I wanted a new case. Here it is:

1a5c0ba0097365acb37b470069af0dd5_zpsd10d

My new case I think is way better, I won't be changing it for a few years yet.

Here is a few shots of my new tower:

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/f3a794a0faa9c8ad82cc2575e40fa5aa_zps75b0c949.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/df2e7d2579a1807371191b1bdc70d84f_zps813d5c04.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/619d5d72d647c0eaf979f91915224409_zps638e3623.jpg

If you notice, bottom right corner, I put a bender (from Futurama) decal and three despicable me minions. Yeah I know, you wouldn't think the tower belonged to someone who is 29. :giggle2:

Oh and the best part - which was not planned. Depending on the colour of the led light, the cables change in colour too. The ram and the sata cables also turn purple, which matches my led fans! The top two are sp fans, so i custom sprayed the rings you see.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/e62950ae9672be149d40608a07df2f69_zps027b0f6d.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/8f00096a5be05f0fa152cdc3a4a1dc0a_zpsdc3a3d4b.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/ffe96a16cb364da197d4cdcf3337cb9e_zps30fee745.jpg

p.s. Sorry for lots of links!

Edited by Devi

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh nothing, I just think it aged very fast in style. i had it for two years, and at the time it looked pretty awesome. My partner wants to build a pc, and said he would have it if I wanted a new case. Here it is:

1a5c0ba0097365acb37b470069af0dd5_zpsd10d

My new case I think is way better, I won't be changing it for a few years yet.

Ah right, yeah I saw a few cases like that when I was looking around.  Just so long as the case itself wasn't causing problems with the components, that's the main thing! :smile: 

Love it!  The whole side panel is a window?  :D   I really wish I had the room for a full-sized tower case like that, but I can't put it under the desk - it has to fit on top beside my monitor and under my shelves, so it has to be small.  Mind you, I think my previous pc was too small, and that's what did for it in the end, because the heat wasn't dissipating fast enough.  I've been monitoring the temperatures on the new one, which is about twice the size, and so far (since the fans are working) nothing's gone above 59 degrees, even when playing something like Tomb Raider on its 'ultimate' settings, which is great.  Fingers crossed it still will be after tonight! :hide: 

If you notice, bottom right corner, I put a bender (from Futurama) decal and three despicable me minions. Yeah I know, you wouldn't think the tower belonged to someone who is 29. :giggle2:

:lol:  I did notice.  Hopefully they'll keep everything working properly whilst they're in there :D 

Oh and the best part - which was not planned. Depending on the colour of the led light, the cables change in colour too. The ram and the sata cables also turn purple, which matches my led fans! The top two are sp fans, so i custom sprayed the rings you see.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/e62950ae9672be149d40608a07df2f69_zps027b0f6d.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/8f00096a5be05f0fa152cdc3a4a1dc0a_zpsdc3a3d4b.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/PSIress/Downsized/ffe96a16cb364da197d4cdcf3337cb9e_zps30fee745.jpg

p.s. Sorry for lots of links!

Your cable routing is so tidy! (can't believe I just typed that :giggle2: ).  Again, the advantage of a full-size case, I suppose.  Plus all that room for airflow.  Sigh. :D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Yeah its a full tinted window :) The case is a corsair 760T full tower, comes in black with red fans or that white one with white fans. I changed the white fans to purple, and did orange and purple sleeving as you can see. I don't think the colours would of worked well in a black tower.

I have noticed drops in temps since I switched to water cooling for my cpu, I originally had just a fan one on my haf x. I hit 50 degrees playing tomb raider on ultra, and the kit wasn't even running on full speed. I have it on the four pin you mentioned earlier, so the water kit changes power according to the cpu temp, the rest of the fans are controlled by the panel on the tower. There is only two settings, low and high but i tell you what, you barely hear them. Here is a video of the fans running full speed.

I was driving my partner nuts with the cable management stuff. :giggle2: I am a little (who am I kidding, a bit more than a little) ocd and fussy about things. I am still not completely happy with the cables. My partner would just plug it in and I would unplug it, route it and replug it back in, in the end he just told me where it went. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

Very nice!  Like mine, you step away from it and you can barely hear it :smile:   Unlike my old one, which sounded like an aircraft taking off from the other side of the room.  Plus towards the end the watercooler used to gurgle a lot  :rolleyes:

50 degrees is just about perfect.  Anything up to, I believe, 70 degrees is okay.  The highest I've seen my cpu go is 49, with the chipset up to 59, and the system as a whole averaging about 55 - 56, so I'm really happy with that.  I dread to think what it was that first night before the case fans were working :hide:

Thanks, Sarah :smile:

New SSD is installed and working - eventually.  It was looking a bit dodgy at first, as I installed it in the case beneath the dvd drive, attached the cables etc.  SSD was recognised in the BIOS against SATA connection 3 (I didn't change anything, just looked to see if it was there) but when I went into Windows and Disk Management it wasn't showing up.  Tried Samsung Magician and it wasn't showing in there either.  I tried connecting it to one of the other SATA III sockets, and also tried a different power cable, but still no joy.  So I was going to call Quiet PC tomorrow morning and see if they knew why that might be.

Then later on I turned the pc back on to see if I could find a solution on the internet (I couldn't, although there were plenty of people with similar problems), but I left it on and went to do something else.  Came back twenty mins later and suddenly the drive was showing as ready to initialise.  Bizarre :shrug:

Anyway, all's good now.  Spent a few mins transferring Steam + games over from the regular hard disk and played a bit of Divinity: Original Sin.  The SSD is super fast at loading stuff.  No more pauses whilst the game has to load a sound effect  :D

I have one 256gig ssd (for windows) and two 1tb hdds (programs and photos). I want to swap them asap, to 1tb ssds once they become cheaper. I did see one for $600 once... It was like a blue moon though as I haven't seen them at that price since.

How did you go with the last steam sale? My wallet was crying by the end of it. :giggle2:

Also, sorry to ask this again, but I seem to have lost my notes regarding this question. Which joe abercrombie book do you recommend I start with again?

I'm glad it worked out with the SSD, Steve! What kind of games are you playing? The last few PC games I played (a while ago) didn't lag much and I wasn't running them off my SSD (which is 128 GB so there's only Windows and Programs on there). But I haven't played any new PC games.

Devi, your PC looks pretty cool!

In regards to Steam sales, I used to buy a lot in the sales (they're awesome!) but I've been too tired to play much games in the past two years, so I decided to stop buying so many games and have been doing really well on that. I've hardly bought any more games. Did either of you buy anything interesting?

I have one 256gig ssd (for windows) and two 1tb hdds (programs and photos). I want to swap them asap, to 1tb ssds once they become cheaper. I did see one for $600 once... It was like a blue moon though as I haven't seen them at that price since.

Well one way or another I've ended up with 1TB worth of SSDs, the original 250 GB one plus the new 750, so I guess it's all good. I'll just use the regular HDD for music and stuff, maybe even back up a lot to it.

How did you go with the last steam sale? My wallet was crying by the end of it. :giggle2:

I only got Divinity: Original Sin. And as I was typing that I remembered I got the recently revamped versions of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 as well, for the grand total of £7

:smile: 

Also, sorry to ask this again, but I seem to have lost my notes regarding this question. Which joe abercrombie book do you recommend I start with again?

Might as well start at the beginning, with The Blade Itself :smile:

# 44

Caesar's Women (Masters of Rome IV) by Colleen McCullough 

post-6588-0-73697500-1405927645_thumb.jpg  post-6588-0-89402600-1405927655_thumb.jpg  post-6588-0-87693700-1405927666_thumb.jpg

1996 - Arrow paperback - 880 pages

From Amazon:

Rome. 68 BC. Julius Caesar has proved himself a brilliant general. But when he returns to Rome he lays down arms only to take up another battle: this time for political power. This is a war waged with words, plots, schemes, metaphorical assassinations - but also with seduction and guile.

Love is just another weapon in Caesar's political arsenal, for the key to political glory lies with Rome's noblewomen: powerful, vindictive Servilia, whose son Brutus deeply resents his mother's passionate, destructive relationship with Caesar; Rome's revered Vestal Virgins; and even Caesar's own daughter, sacrificed on the altar of his ambition.

Thoughts:

Well.  At the end of the previous book in the series, Fortune's Favourites, McCullough noted that it marked an end to the epic sweep of the novels and that now she was going to get down to the nitty gritty of the fall of the Republic of Ancient Rome, the point at which she had been aiming all along.  This fourth book would be set almost entirely in Rome itself, rather than encompassing vast, continent-spanning campaigns and mixing it with doses of political machinations within the walls of the city itself.  And that's pretty much what she's done.  I was expecting big things from this book, having read several glowing reviews.

From its title, you would guess that this is a novel about the women of Ancient Rome and how their lives affect and are affected by the fortunes of their men.  Central to this are: Servilia, who was brilliantly introduced in previous books as a horrid, vindictive child;  Aurelia, Caesar's mother, whose strange relationship with her son continues;  his daughter, Julia, whom he quickly begins to use as a pawn in his political games; and Terentia, wife of Cicero, who very cleverly seems to guide her husband's political career.  These are all brilliant characters, vivid on the page (particularly Servilia, as you would hope), and the novel is at its best when it concentrates on them, not forgetting Caesar's marriages to Pompeia and Calpurnia.

However, where the novel stumbled for me was in the politics.  In this book we see Caesar's quest for power as he advances through the political ranks.  Lacking, as it is, the sweep and drive of the previous books, huge chunks of the book are taken up with political manoeuvrings and speeches.  Some of these are very well done, but McCullough seems to get bogged down in reeling off paragraphs full of names (all of which start to sound very much alike and can get confusing, to the point where I stopped caring and they washed over me) and the passing of laws.  I found that these sections, unleavened by the breaks away to different storylines like in the previous books, quickly became stodgy and tedious.  

Also, much of the book is taken up, as you might expect, with Caesar's battles of will with the boni, or 'Good Men', who include his old enemy Bibulus and Servilia's despised half-brother, Cato.  Again, some of this is very well done, but boy does it go on.  And on.  I didn't think Cato was particularly well characterised, either - he seems to shout all the time.  There is no subtlety to this one.  Cicero, too, seems unnecessarily weak and timid.  Caesar is just too perfect - annoyingly so.  McCullough makes no effort to find his flaws, almost like she's deifying him.  He should have been the best character in the books, but he pales in the shadow of Marius and Sulla.  This is a huge error on McCullough's part, in my opinion.

I applaud her for the attention to detail, but this is the first book in the series that I felt would have benefited from being much, much shorter.  Eight hundred pages of what I described above was at least 300 pages too much, for me.  What's worse, the book takes the best part of 300 pages to actually get going in the first place.  These books have never been big on action, but the lack of any sort of impetus gained from the goings-on beyond Rome's walls means that there's nothing here to cleanse the palate, so to speak.  It's a book that seems to operate on one note, rather than using the whole scale.

I should point out that my disappointment in this book isn't due to my usual author/series burn-out.  I was excited to read this book, and in places I found it brilliant, it's just that - for me - there were a lot of negatives to balance the positives this time around.  It hasn't put me off reading the rest - not entirely - but it may be a while before I pick up book V.

6/10

Great review :). It's a shame you didn't enjoy this as much as the first three books in the series. The long political speeches would bore me too I'm sure. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable, have you decided what you'll read next?

argh! It was going so well with this series. Your gripes all sound reasonable at least. :shrug:

I think most series have at least one book that falls below par, so I'm not too surprised.  Hopefully the next one will be back on track  :smile: 

Gardens of the Moon next? :D

Indeed - just just up to the start of Book Two - Darujhistan - more comments to come in the ded thread  :smile:

# 45

Gardens of the Moon (Book 1 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson 

Malazan-GardensoftheMoonSubterraneanCove     

1999 - Tor paperback - 657 pages

From Amazon:

The Malazan Empire simmers with discontent, bled dry by interminable warfare, bitter infighting and bloody confrontations. Even the imperial legions, long inured to the bloodshed, yearn for some respite. Yet Empress Laseen's rule remains absolute, enforced by her dread Claw assassins.

For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his squad of Bridgeburners, and for Tattersail, surviving cadre mage of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the many dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, yet holds out. It is to this ancient citadel that Laseen turns her predatory gaze.

However, it would appear that the Empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister, shadowbound forces are gathering as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand . . .

Thoughts:

Is there much point in me reviewing this?  Everyone knows it’s the first book in my favourite fantasy series, right?  Job done! :giggle2: 

I’m not sure I can do justice to these books, from my perspective, not without gushing ridiculously.  So here goes . . .  :D 

What’s it about?  The Malazan world was co-created by Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont (who has his own concurrent series of books called ‘Malazan Empire’) back in the 80s.  Gardens of the Moon was originally touted as a film script before Erikson and Esslemont later split up the story and began turning it into a series of books.

This particular book begins when a young fishergirl, who comes to be known as Sorry, has the misfortune to encounter and overhear two gods called Shadowthrone and Cotillion, and they’re plotting something.  Rather than kill her for what she now knows, Cotillion comes up with another plan and takes possession of her.  Shadowthrone, meanwhile, sends his Hounds of Shadow to deal with some Malazan cavalry who have recently passed the scene.  Later, when the Empress’s Adjunct investigates the massacre, she and a young soldier called Paran realise that sorcery was involved, and this leads them on a three year long hunt for the perpetrators, beginning with the trail of a missing fishergirl.

This all happens in the first 40 or 50 pages before the story moves forward three years to find out what happens next.  On my first read, by this point, I was totally enthralled, but I can understand why others will not have been, especially if they came to it expecting more traditional fantasy.  The ‘Malazan Book of the Fallen’ doesn’t hand anything to the reader on a plate.  There’s no spoon-feeding, no info-dumps to catch the reader up in a ‘Previously, on the Malazan Book of the Fallen’ kind of way.  Erikson wants you to work for the rewards, and I was so grateful for having to use my brain for a change, rather than reading about the latest farmboy/hobbit/wizard with a destiny. 

As a result, he chucks you in at the deep end without much in the way of explanation, and then sets about upending a whole bunch of fantasy tropes whilst expecting the reader to either sink or swim.  All of the characters seem to share knowledge that we, the readers, are not party to.  Everything about it is enigmatic, almost to breaking point.  The world, its races, its history, its characters, all land on the page fully-formed and in motion and you either keep up, or go along for the ride, or get trampled underfoot.  He also uses the unreliable narrator, meaning that each character tells the tale from their own perspective.  Switch to another character and their idea of what happened, and why, and to whom might be totally different.  There are lies within lies and plots within plots and, in the hands of a lesser writer, it probably wouldn’t work for me, either.

But, for me, all of these aspects were positives first time around, and still are.  I’d grown bored with the usual fantasy stories, so Erikson’s choices were a breath of fresh air to me.  I loved – and still love – the mysteries that abound in the world in which these stories are set.  I like that it doesn’t play by the rules, that characters don’t fit in to the narrow stereotypes that used to beset the fantasy genre (this is an aspect that has been changing steadily since I first read this series).  I love the sense of being in the midst of all these places and people and races, all of which have vast, millennia-spanning histories, with all the alliances and suspicions and hatreds that go along with it.  I like that the magic has a sense of chaos about it, that it doesn’t play by set rules where it’s the same for whomever wants to use it.  Here it’s governed by the individual’s ability to control and channel these otherworldly powers, and the resulting anarchy is often mind-blowingly brilliant, and not a little cool.  Everything, even the dragons, is given a new spin, and it all fits into the world of Wu like clockwork.  There are some moments in this book that I still find so jaw-droppingly brilliant, but I couldn’t possibly list them all here (although I might as well, given the length of this review already . . . :blush2:  :giggle2: ).

That’s not to say that I think Gardens of the Moon is flawless – it isn’t, but I found its flaws made it both exciting and frustrating in equal measure – and both of these elements made me want to read more.  I wanted to know more about the T’Lan Imass.  I wanted to know what Shadowthrone and Cotillion were up to.  I wanted to know more about Warrens and Azath houses and Finnests and Jaghuts.  I wanted to know just who or what a K’Chain Che’Malle was and, more to the point, what the hell was Kruppe?   And why is Crone so funny?  And what exactly are Quick Ben and Kalam planning now???   But, as thrilling as I found the book on first read, I have to admit that it’s a book that only truly reveals its brilliance on re-read, having come back to it after reading the rest of the series.  There is so much depth, so much foreshadowing, so many throwaway comments that relate to events five, six, seven books down the line, that it’s quite staggering, and it becomes like reading an entirely different book once you have all that knowledge under your belt.  A lot of people would wonder why that should be?  Why should a book require a re-read to reveal all of this?

They’re probably right, but sod 'em, it works for me :D 

9/10

And I got through this whole waffling gushiness without mentioning the super-coolness that is Anomander Rake and his sword, Dragnipur.  But now I have :giggle2: 

Malazan-GardensoftheMoon_zpsd91438f0.jpg

Great review Steve. :D I truly can't wait to re-read it now.

Thanks - I'm looking forward to reading your review :smile:   No pressure :giggle2:

First thing I did after closing the book was to pick up Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice.  I was so tempted to start one of them straight away but I resisted, for now at least :giggle2:   I don't know about you, but once I get into the Malazan books I find it a bit difficult getting into another author's style afterwards :shrug:

Is that really the edition you have? :o It's gorgeous. :wub:

I wish!  That's artwork from the Subterranean Press edition.  The basic limited edition was $150 when it first went on sale.  I saw a lettered edition of GotM go on Ebay for over £300 last year, and there's a lettered edition of Memories of Ice on Ebay at the moment going for £330 :o

Thing is, if you buy them directly from Subterranean Press on publication you have to have the certificate from the previous books in order to buy the next one.  I think that's how it works anyway.  It might've briefly crossed my mind to try and get in at the start and get them all, but common sense prevailed in the end.  Dammit :giggle2:   They're so huge I wouldn't have had anywhere to store them anyway :lol:

First thing I did after closing the book was to pick up Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice.  I was so tempted to start one of them straight away but I resisted, for now at least :giggle2:   I don't know about you, but once I get into the Malazan books I find it a bit difficult getting into another author's style afterwards :shrug:

I can't speak for Steven Erikson's style, but I have this with some other authors too sometimes.

# 46

Runner by Patrick Lee 

Runner-ARC_zpsb770d0d3.jpg     

2014 - Penguin ebook - 328 pages

From Amazon:

Don't. Get. Caught.

Thoughts:

A couple of years back I read Patrick Lee's 'Breach' trilogy, in which he combined some fabulous, mind-bending science fiction ideas with great leading characters and a fast-moving, action-packed plot.  Basically, they were 'big-screen' novels, only with more brains and heart than the vast majority of Hollywood blockbusters.  And now he's done it again.

Sam Dryden is an ex-military type whose life was torn apart when his wife and child were killed some six years before the story starts (sounds a bit ho-hum but Lee never dwells on it long enough for it to become too derivative).  Since then, in his own words, he's been like the 'walking dead', off the grid, nothing to exist for.  Until, that is, his insomnia drives him to go out jogging in the middle of the night, where he quite literally collides with a 12-year-old girl, whose name turns out to be Rachel.  She's terrified, being chased by gun-wielding men for unknown reasons (not helped by her having lost her memory beyond the past two months), and - as her pursuers close in - Dryden helps her out.

That all happens in the first two or three pages and, from that point on, Runner is a breathless, and breathtaking, thriller as Dryden and Rachel run for their lives.  But why is Rachel running in the first place?  What happened to her prior to the last couple of months?  This is where Lee's trademark 'big sf idea' comes in, but I don't really want to spoil the reason any further than that.  It's a really fun and - frankly - scary idea, which probably doesn't hold a lot of water, but it's a brilliant conceit, a great hook on which to hang the story and Lee moves things along at such a clip that he doesn't give you too much time to think about it.  And he pretty much answered most of the questions that came to my mind, anyway - most of them very cleverly.

Once again, he's created some winning characters.  He doesn't do much apart from briefly sketch in their backgrounds - you don't know an awful lot about Dryden by the end - and yet they quickly became rounded individuals who I genuinely cared about.  Central to this is Dryden's relationship with Rachel and the rekindling of his parental instincts.  I thought it really worked without resorting to sentimentality - I believed that they cared about each other.

Then there's the action, which is practically non-stop.  I didn't find it overly graphic in terms of the violence, but it did make me wince a couple of times.  There are a couple of scenes with mild sexual content, again nothing too graphic.  Some of the situations they find themselves in are of the edge-of-seat, hold-on-tight, this-is-going-to-get-scary brand of thrills and spills that sweep you along for the ride.  I did have to laugh when Dryden realised 'this was going to go bad' - really?  You've only just realised that??  :lol:  

Runner is possibly the fastest-paced novel I have ever read, full of twists and turns and, just when you think you know where it's going, just like the 'Breach' books, it pulls the rug from beneath you.  Admittedly, you do have to be prepared to suspend your disbelief but, as thrillers go, this is the best I've read in a long time.  I found it genuinely thrilling, something I've found lacking in a lot of so-called 'thrillers' I've read in the past few years.  Hollywood dreams of plots like this (and usually fails).  Some producer has to snap this up, surely?

This is the first in a series of books about Sam Dryden (it's listed as 'Sam Dryden Book 1') but it is a completely self-contained story, with a definite ending.  I think Dryden is basically Lee's answer to Jack Reacher, so he'll probably be wandering around America getting himself into trouble for quite a while.  Fortunately, Dryden is neither omniscient nor indestructible, and is altogether a better character than Reacher already, imo.

I just hope this book gets the attention it deserves.  It's brilliant.  Buy it, fasten your seatbelt, and get ready for a hell of a ride! :cool::D

9/10

Thanks all :smile:

I knew that the film rights for the Breach trilogy were bought by David Goyer and co a while back, but I wasn't aware that the rights to Runner had been snapped up over a year before the book was even published :smile:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/justin-lin-michael-de-luca-team-at-warner-bros-on-patrick-lee-thriller-novel/

Sounds like an awesome read, I am going to add it to the top of my wish list! I am paying a visit to my local book store today.