pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming 4/5

What a blast from the past! 

You seem to be having a great Bond fest pontalba  :smile: .

If you were in a sort of 'fantasy' Bond film, who would you like to be: a Bond girl, or a Bond baddie?

You've been reading a lot of books so far, and liked most of them, great :)! Great reviews, too :).

Thanks, Gaia.  Well, I'll still have a long way to read as many as you have!  :D

You seem to be having a great Bond fest pontalba  :smile: .

If you were in a sort of 'fantasy' Bond film, who would you like to be: a Bond girl, or a Bond baddie?

LOL  None of the above.  I'd be M.

Kate

I was gonna say the same thing : You are on a James Bond  007 kick lately ! Are you planning to read all the books in the group ?

How many are there ? I'm not a movie person, so am clueless .

I'm not sure, I probably will.  Right now I'm reading The Black Echo by Michael Connelly. 

What started me on this series was that Amazon is now making tv series...you may or may not be aware of that.  It's free to stream if you have Amazon Prime.  We do. :D   We watched the first episode (all that is available) last night.  Really good.

Then I remembered that Sari (I am pretty sure) had recommended Connelly a long time ago.  So, I already had two of the books on kindle, and I know I have a paperback around here somewhere. 

Anyhow, I'm 30% into the first one, mentioned above.  It's really good.  I'm liking it a lot.  Of course, there are 18 in this series alone.  And Connelly has other series. /sigh/ 

I needed another series............ :P

Kate

I didn't know about Amazon making a tv show, but yes we do have Prime. We'll have to check it out . The Hubster uses it more than I do, so I'll ask him if he knows about it .

There's never any end to the good books, is there ? I guess that's a good thing, though !  :)

Have you seen a film called Some Voices ? He`s jaw-droppingly good in it. :D

No, the only others I've seen are the Bond films, Defiance and Archangel, all excellent.  I'll investigate it though, thanks. :cool:

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty  4/5

Men with secrets that change the course of their own and others lives, their marriages and their children. How and when the secrets come out, and to what extent the wives learning of them act upon same.

A story of recriminations, retribution, revenge. But also of love and what it can and will endure for the sake of family.

The first chapter had me laughing out loud with it's realism and analysis of women's friendship, and Moriarty's realistic and clear prose kept me reading. Make no mistake though, this is no comedy. It realistically depicts the inner monologue of the women, their vacillating and turmoil come through loud and clear.

To call this book "chick lit" is to do the story a disservice, in my opinion. That title engenders basically a light and fluffy, happy-ever-after ending, to me at least. If you enjoy stories about people's lives and motivations, you'll enjoy this book.

Oh, and there is a murder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  and~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Black Echo by Michael Connelly  4/5

Many times the first of a series (in fact usually) is just plain stuffed with too much introductory information that drags the main story down and slows the action. Not this one, it comes out swinging. A complex and interesting back story is told along with the main thread of the story. We learn the details slowly, told almost lovingly by Connelly.

Harry Bosch is an interesting character. Cynical and bone weary of his life, somehow he still projects a sense of hope. He was an orphan, a tunnel rat in the Vietnam War, and now is part of LAPD homicide division. He has seen pretty much everything miserable there is to see.

Weaving the present day (circa early 1990's) with memories of the Vietnam War, Connelly introduces his characters with their fears and motivations. Thieves, murderers, and old connections surface and come together masterfully. Some quite unexpectedly, I might add. Of course it's all about money, the big kill, the theft to end all thefts.
Cross and double cross, laying down false scents, just who are the bad guys.

Recommended.

Edited by pontalba

Thanks, Gaia! :)

One more for the read pile........... :D

Japantown by Barry Lancet  4/5

Tightly wound thriller about a San Francisco based art/antique dealer whose estranged father has left him half a share of a Tokyo based detective agency. Jim Brodie has skills that qualify him for both worlds and they are put to the test in this surprisingly twisty tale of murder and mayhem.

It has some of the problems of first novel in a series, but after the first third of the book they are pretty much ironed out and the last half zips by with action packed sequences. The criminals he has to deal with make Murder, Inc. look like a bunch of kindergarteners.

Lancet's attention to detail and the apparent accuracy of said details regarding the ins and outs of Japanese politics and crime make this all the more interesting. The action is split between San Francisco and Japan, but the final battle takes place in New York.

Recommended.

Well, the Library Sale today well and truly knocked us off of The Wagon.  I don't think there is a chance of catching up with said Wagon again.  /sigh/giggle/

Here's the damage, er list:

A Walk on the Wild Side by Nelson Algren

The Monkey Handlers by G. Gordon Liddy

Out of Control by G. Gordon Liddy

The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld

Butchers Hill by Laura Lippman

The Cross-legged Knight by Candace Robb

End in Tears by Ruth Rendell

The St. Zita Society by Ruth Rendell

The Widow Killer by Pavel Kohout

Havana Bay by Martin Cruz Smith

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

The Rattle-Rat (A Mystery) by Janwillem van de Wetering

Borderliners by Peter Hoeg

A Thousand Cuts by Simon Lelic

Earthbound by Richard Matheson

Raintree County by Ross Lockridge, Jr.

Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell

Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell

Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva

The Defector by Daniel Silva

Prince of Fire by Daniel Silva

The Messenger by Daniel Silva

The Butcher's Boy by Thomas Perry

Dead Aim by Thomas Perry

Death Benefits by Thomas Perry

Floaters by Joseph Wambaugh

Hollywood Crows by Joseph Wambaugh

Finnegan's Week by Joseph Wambaugh

The Glitter Dome by Joseph Wambaugh

Drama City by George Pelecanos

Hard Revolution by George Pelecanos

Echo Park by Michael Connelly

Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2 consisting of The Last Coyote, Trunk Music and Angels Flight by Michael Connelly

Murder in False-Face by Richard Lockridge

Rapid Analysis of Electrocardiograms by Emanuel Stein

The True State of the Planet, Ten of the World's Premier Environmental Researchers in a Major Challenge to the Environmental Movement, Ronald Bailey, Editor.

Burnham's Celestial Handbook, Volume Three, An Observers Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar system by Robert Burnham, Jr.

A few were "better" copies of already owned books, and a few were accidental replications.  It was all fun though!  :P  :giggle2:

Thats well and truly coming off the wagon. :giggle2:

Glad you had fun though. :)

Edited by Devi

Kate

No better way to fall off the wagon than to find that many bargain books . Have you already read Midnight in the Garden ? It's one of my favorites !

Also, have you read Raintree County before ? I've been eyeing that one for years ,but just never got around to buying a copy . I'll be interested to hear how you like it .

Thats well and truly coming off the wagon. :giggle2:

Glad you had fun though. :)

/Elvis intonation/  Thank you, thank you very much!  :crazy:

Kate

No better way to fall off the wagon than to find that many bargain books . Have you already read Midnight in the Garden ? It's one of my favorites !

Also, have you read Raintree County before ? I've been eyeing that one for years ,but just never got around to buying a copy . I'll be interested to hear how you like it .

No, I blush to admit, neither of them.  I actually had a copy of Midnight as well, but it's buried somewhere, and anyhow, this was a nice hardback. :D

That is falling of the wagon with great style!!  :D 

/takes a deep bow/  Thank you!  We may not be Texas, but we do things big here.  :cool:

Edited by pontalba

Wow, that's a lot of books :D! I hope you enjoy them :)!

/giggle/  Thanks! :D

Great book haul ! :D

I read the first Jed Rubenfeld ; looking forward to seeing if you liked this one.

I`ve not read that Midnight book ; keep meaning to look for a copy of it. :smile:

Havana Bay is excellent - I`ve liked all his books. :smile:

I've only read a few of the Smith books, and really liked them.  We both do.

Last night I finished another detective story by Michael Connelly, The Black Ice.  It's the second in his Los Angeles detective, Harry Bosch series.  I won't be reviewing the series, in general.  There is a certain sameness about them, while being a completely different set of circumstances.  Even with that sameness, the series is off to a great start without a lot of showboating.  I enjoy the low key style that Connelly maintains. 

A definite 4/5.  Recommended. :)