Tim's Horror, Fantasy and SF 2014

Timstar

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! We have been approved for the mortgage but still need to officially apply then the solicitors can do their work... hopefully!

Still not had a lot of chance for reading but I am making my way through Dune. I have been invited to an interview for a PhD at Cambridge University, it sounds really good and exciting but i'm a bit nervous, the interview is an hour long!

Thanks! We have been approved for the mortgage but still need to officially apply then the solicitors can do their work... hopefully!

Still not had a lot of chance for reading but I am making my way through Dune. I have been invited to an interview for a PhD at Cambridge University, it sounds really good and exciting but i'm a bit nervous, the interview is an hour long!

Great news about the mortgage, and congrats on the PhD interview! As long as you know your proposal inside and out you should be fine. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did with mine. :giggle2:

Thank you!

Oh no! What happened with yours?

Oh, nothing dramatic, just that I applied for PhD studentships (unsuccessfully) at various places for 3 years in a row before giving up. I had a few interviews, and all of them accepted me for study - but I kept missing out on the actual studentships (it was very competitive), and so had to keep turning the offers down since there's no way I'd be able to fund it myself. I'd like to maybe try again in the future, though.

Good luck with yours - I imagine it's quite different for sciencey ones (mine was Literature/Linguistics). Don't worry, though, that hour will absolutely fly by! Be sure to let us know how you go on! :)

ETA: Thought I'd let you know: just finished Retribution Falls and really enjoyed it, and will be buying The Black Lung Captain some time soon. :D

Edited by Signor Finzione

Oh, nothing dramatic, just that I applied for PhD studentships (unsuccessfully) at various places for 3 years in a row before giving up. I had a few interviews, and all of them accepted me for study - but I kept missing out on the actual studentships (it was very competitive), and so had to keep turning the offers down since there's no way I'd be able to fund it myself. I'd like to maybe try again in the future, though.

Good luck with yours - I imagine it's quite different for sciencey ones (mine was Literature/Linguistics). Don't worry, though, that hour will absolutely fly by! Be sure to let us know how you go on!

Ah that's a shame, funding is always the issue I know. I applied for many that I never heard back from and was denied funding from many sources as well. Do try again, it will be different every year.

Mine is a pre-proposed research project and they are just looking for the right student to undertake it. So just have to convince them that it is me.

ETA: Thought I'd let you know: just finished Retribution Falls and really enjoyed it, and will be buying The Black Lung Captain some time soon. :D

:D Glad to hear it! I enjoyed TBLC even more and I can't wait to read the final book.

x

Good luck with the interview!!

x 

Good luck with yours - I imagine it's quite different for sciencey ones (mine was Literature/Linguistics). Don't worry, though, that hour will absolutely fly by! Be sure to let us know how you go on! :)

x

I'm sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. Funding is often a problem :(.

Good luck with the interview Tim! Will be keeping my fingers crossed. Do let us know how you go. :)

Edited by Devi

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates on here, I've avoided it as I don't like to use this thread to b**ch and moan, so i'll simply say that the interview didn't go well and I didn't get the PhD then immediately found out that the seller for our new house pulled out so we are back to square one and still stuck in the renting trap. Also been super busy at work, doing 7 days a week at the moment. So I have been trying to fit in reading when I can but didn't have a lot of energy for it, that was until I read...

485339a7e9267b41092f9cbdc9df8213.jpg Legend by David Gemmell

Synopsis

His name is Druss.

The stories of his life are told everywhere. But the grizzled veteran has spurned a life of fame and fortune and retreated to the solitude of his mountain lair.

His home is Dros Delnoch.

And it is the only route through the mountains for the army laying waste the country around them. Once the stronghold of the Drenai, the fortress of Dros Delnoch will now be their last battleground. And Druss will be its last hope.

His story is LEGEND.

Review

This was my first Gemmell, and also his debut, he's been on my TBR pile for some time and I needed something different to read so I picked up Legend and was completely enthralled by the story and writing.

I personally think the synopsis above is somewhat of a rarity, in that, it's simple, accurate and enticing. The story doesn't get much more complex than what is written above, and that's absolutely fine, it doesn't have tonnes of mythology and complicated magical systems with years of history and maps etc. What it does have is a handful of heroes, most of them ordinary soldiers, standing up against impossible odds.

What I tried to keep in mind whilst reading Legend is that it is 30 years old this year, yet it feels very familiar. At first I thought it was because I had read similar modern fantasy with the same grittiness and the characters felt a bit like over-used stereotypes, but I soon realised that they are the archetypes of modern fantasy. They don't fight for love or honour or because a wizard gave them a perilous quest to defeat the evil lord and fulfil their destiny... they fight because they are soldiers and it's what they do. Even without the Abercrombie quote on the cover it is clear he took a lot of influence from Gemmell.

The battles are quick and brutal but the aftermath and consequences of them are lingered upon showing gristly effects of such conflict.

A fantastic debut and clear stepping stone between traditional and modern fantasy. I can't wait to read more!

Overall 10/10

Sorry for the lack of updates on here, I've avoided it as I don't like to use this thread to b**ch and moan, so i'll simply say that the interview didn't go well and I didn't get the PhD then immediately found out that the seller for our new house pulled out so we are back to square one and still stuck in the renting trap. Also been super busy at work, doing 7 days a week at the moment. So I have been trying to fit in reading when I can but didn't have a lot of energy for it, that was until I read...

x

:( awww I'm so sorry to hear all that. I hope things look up for you soon :hug:.

Great review of Legend :)! I'm glad you really liked it. I just bought it yesterday, it sounds very good.

Sorry to hear Tim. :(

Hopefully it means something bigger and better comes across! Both for the house and PhD.

Edited by Devi

Thanks guys :kissing:

The biggest issue is how demoralising is it, when something finally starts looking up and you get really excited about it, just to have it pulled out from under you. So I've just been trying to focus on work and reading :readingtwo:  I've also got some friends who have been able to distract us as well you lovely people :flowers2:

In other reading related matters, the current plan has gone completely out of the window as i'm sticking to books I can really get absorbed in.

So I finished Dune which I will review in March for the reading circle. I've also started Archangel by Robert Harris, A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.

I finished the audio book of The Fall of Giants by Ken Follett which was good but quite condescending at points, it felt like WW1 for dummies. :doh: Follett also feels the need to explain absolutely everything and never leave anything for the reader to figure out themselves. Also finished Don Quixote which was pretty brilliant! Fantastic wit and charm, incredible to think it is 400 years old. The only negative I would say is that it could have done with been shorter, there are entire sections of the book which don't relate to the main story or characters at all, and though they aren't bad sections, you just want it to get back to the point.

Edited by Timstar

Sorry for the lack of updates on here, I've avoided it as I don't like to use this thread to b**ch and moan, so i'll simply say that the interview didn't go well and I didn't get the PhD then immediately found out that the seller for our new house pulled out so we are back to square one and still stuck in the renting trap. Also been super busy at work, doing 7 days a week at the moment.

Sorry to hear that, Tim - what an absolute pain.  But, as the others have said, I hope that means something even better is in store for you :smile:

485339a7e9267b41092f9cbdc9df8213.jpg Legend by David Gemmell

Synopsis

His name is Druss.

The stories of his life are told everywhere. But the grizzled veteran has spurned a life of fame and fortune and retreated to the solitude of his mountain lair.

His home is Dros Delnoch.

And it is the only route through the mountains for the army laying waste the country around them. Once the stronghold of the Drenai, the fortress of Dros Delnoch will now be their last battleground. And Druss will be its last hope.

His story is LEGEND.

Review

This was my first Gemmell, and also his debut, he's been on my TBR pile for some time and I needed something different to read so I picked up Legend and was completely enthralled by the story and writing.

I personally think the synopsis above is somewhat of a rarity, in that, it's simple, accurate and enticing. The story doesn't get much more complex than what is written above, and that's absolutely fine, it doesn't have tonnes of mythology and complicated magical systems with years of history and maps etc. What it does have is a handful of heroes, most of them ordinary soldiers, standing up against impossible odds.

What I tried to keep in mind whilst reading Legend is that it is 30 years old this year, yet it feels very familiar. At first I thought it was because I had read similar modern fantasy with the same grittiness and the characters felt a bit like over-used stereotypes, but I soon realised that they are the archetypes of modern fantasy. They don't fight for love or honour or because a wizard gave them a perilous quest to defeat the evil lord and fulfil their destiny... they fight because they are soldiers and it's what they do. Even without the Abercrombie quote on the cover it is clear he took a lot of influence from Gemmell.

The battles are quick and brutal but the aftermath and consequences of them are lingered upon showing gristly effects of such conflict.

A fantastic debut and clear stepping stone between traditional and modern fantasy. I can't wait to read more!

Overall 10/10

Well that was a surprise :lol:  But yeah, a great book to read if you need a pick-me-up.  I think you've summed it up perfectly, especially with regard to his characters.  He gave them real heart, and a moral compass, and made them really memorable.  He was just a great storyteller, all show don't tell, and there's attention to detail yet with such economy.  He was one of a kind.    So glad you enjoyed it.  :smile:

Funnily enough, I was thinking of re-reading it soon, myself, as I read the two prequels last year.

Sorry to hear that, Tim - what an absolute pain.  But, as the others have said, I hope that means something even better is in store for you :smile:

Well that was a surprise :lol:  But yeah, a great book to read if you need a pick-me-up.  I think you've summed it up perfectly, especially with regard to his characters.  He gave them real heart, and a moral compass, and made them really memorable.  He was just a great storyteller, all show don't tell, and there's attention to detail yet with such economy.  He was one of a kind.    So glad you enjoyed it.  :smile:

Funnily enough, I was thinking of re-reading it soon, myself, as I read the two prequels last year.

Thanks Steve! It's great as well as it's not epic in length, like you said, perfect for a pick-me-up. I have the next 5 books in the series that they have re-released with nice new covers. I also have a couple of his stand-alone books.

I have the next 5 books in the series that they have re-released with nice new covers. I also have a couple of his stand-alone books.

Plenty to keep you going, then :smile:   Which of the stand-alones do you have?  I want to re-read Legend and The King Beyond the Gate so I can finally read Quest for Lost Heroes, as I only recently got that one.  No idea when I'll around to it though :shrug:

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck, Tim. Won't dwell on it because that makes it worse, but I know how you feel. Still: it really is true that when one door closes, another one opens, etc., etc. Hugs and kind thoughts to both of you!  :hug:

Nice review of the Gemmell, I'm glad you enjoyed it - Waylander did the same thing for me when I was in a reading slump a few weeks ago. I have Legend on the shelf to read soon. :)