Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:smile2: I do indeed :D (though I think this may be the first one where all three things have happened simultaneously :D)  

Well let's hope it'll be a repeat this Sunday :D

It's quite wordy and descriptive .. which at first makes you think that it might be difficult but once you have the characters fixed in your head it's fine. They're all weird of course and doing weird things but compared to old Faulkner .. its a doddle. I'm really impressed with it actually .. I had no idea it was written just after WW2 .. I thought it was written in the 70's. I've already found two toast quotations so .. I'm well pleased :D 

Hope you're able to get on with it frankie :friends0: the size of it makes it quite daunting but the pages are reading themselves now so I think .. leastways I hope .. that it'll be one of those books that absorb you so much that you forget about the arm-ache it's giving you :D  

I guess I generally have a problem with wordiness and descriptiveness. I don't much enjoy detailed descriptions of places and nature :blush: But I'll try and get over myself.

I love weird characters, wohoo! :D And two toast quotes?? Did you ever think you'd find any... What a bonus :D

The arm-ache... I don't remember if I told you, although I think I did mention in the poll or noms thread, that I have the omnibus... So by the time I'll finish I'll be kissing my biceps... goodbye! :D

So.. did you enjoy The Class? Do you think is a good book or d'you think I loved it because it was my first book?

I did enjoy it :yes: I think you love it because it was your first book and because it's such a great read. I can't believe you read it at such a young age... I take my hat off to you! :D

Yay! Coincidently I've just taken Lost & Found off my shelf! :)

Yay! :D We can't resist them doggy books, can we :giggle:

I did enjoy it :yes: I think you love it because it was your first book and because it's such a great read. I can't believe you read it at such a young age... I take my hat off to you! :D

I was so clever and nerd when a was young.. all things lost growing up! :)

Finished 'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult

Started 'Left  Neglected' by Lisa Genova (Still Alice). Started off at quite a pace, the main character that is, wish she would slow down a bit, but I know that will change.

I was so clever and nerd when a was young.. all things lost growing up! :)

I'm sure nothing's lost :D

Finished 'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult

I saw your rating for it, I'm really happy you liked the book! :)

Started 'Left  Neglected' by Lisa Genova (Still Alice). Started off at quite a pace, the main character that is, wish she would slow down a bit, but I know that will change.

Can't wait to hear what you think of it, especially in comparison to SA!

I'm about to go to bed, I have maybe 20 pages to finish One Dog and His Boy, don't know what to read next. :hide:

That was the first Moomin book I ever read of the series! Loved it. Since then Snufkin has been my hero  :wub: .

I wish that I had the opportunity to read the Moomin books as a child, but it was lovely reading them for the first time, in my 40s. :smile:Great philosophical reading for adults, as well as great reading for children.

I know how you feel, Marie. I missed out on reading a lot of children's classics when I was a kid. I certainly enjoy reading them now, but I also wish I had read them first when I was younger. :) The Moomin book reminds me a bit of Winnie the Pooh in terms of the philosophy elements and the cute, charming adventures. :)

Used to love the Moomin books! A couple of years ago I read Jansson's "The True Deceiver", which is a cracking (or kraken!) book.  Very different from the sort of stuff we normally associate with her, but a thoroughly dark, brooding and absorbing tale.  If you haven't read it yet, Kylie, I'd recommend it.  I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Thanks for this, Roland. I'll be sure to check it out. :)

I'm about halfway through The Dirt, which is great.

I've starting going through all of my books to make sure they're all catalogued properly in my software. I only got as far as 'Albee, Edward' before becoming engrossed in reading Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? It's going to take a very long time to finish cataloguing at this rate!

The Moomin book reminds me a bit of Winnie the Pooh in terms of the philosophy elements and the cute, charming adventures. :)

I keep meaning to read the Moomin books. As a child I just didn't 'get' them .. not sure why as I loved WTP. I'm hoping to 'get' them now .. there are some lovely covers for a start :giggle:

I've starting going through all of my books to make sure they're all catalogued properly in my software. I only got as far as 'Albee, Edward' before becoming engrossed in reading Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? It's going to take a very long time to finish cataloguing at this rate!

I did exactly the same. As soon as it whizzed through my letterbox I started flicking through it and that was it :D Hope you're enjoying it Kylie :smile: 

I'm going great guns with Titus Groan .. am nearly at page 400 and it hasn't felt like a slog at all which is amazing. What a strange and wonderful world Mervyn has created .. so imaginative. I haven't a clue where it's going :giggle: 

x

I can do imagine doing something like this, too! :giggle2:. Good luck, Kylie!

I'm toying with the idea of recataloguing my books, since atm some of the ISBNs are taken from GoodReads and not the actual books, and the dates are wrong, and other things.. Manual logging is going well, though I've calculated there'll be a lot more writing before I'm done :P.

I'm still reading Stephen King - IT and Mind Gym 1: Denk Buiten de Kaders (translated), I've nearly finished the latter so maybe I'll be finishing that today.

I've just finished reading Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield - absolutely brilliant.  I've now started reading a couple of Maigret stories until I decide what to get stuck into next.

Just finished Georges Perec's A Void.

Working on the review for the book.

2nd book for Marie H's World Tour of Fiction will be The Shooting Party by Anton Chekhov

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly Kylie :D I love reading The Moomins, and it's only in this year that I first read Winnie the Pooh! I've got an audiobook of Winnie the Pooh, read by Alan Bennett. The best person to read them, I think. :smile:

I know how you feel, Marie. I missed out on reading a lot of children's classics when I was a kid. I certainly enjoy reading them now, but I also wish I had read them first when I was younger. :) The Moomin book reminds me a bit of Winnie the Pooh in terms of the philosophy elements and the cute, charming adventures. :)

I read Romeo and Juliet today.  I knew the basics of it, but have never read it before, or seen any adaptation of it.  I have the Baz Luhrmann version on DVD which I can now look at - it's been on my 'to watch' pile (and the book on my 'to read' pile) for years and years! 

I very much enjoyed it (if that's the right word), although having seen Hot Fuzz so many times, I was disappointed not to get a rendition of The Cardigans' Lovefool at the end!  :giggle2:

I'm about halfway through The Dirt, which is great.

Fast pace! :D I guess you weren't exaggerating when you said it's hard to put down :)

WAOVW is great, I'm not at all surprised you got sucked right into it :)

I've just finished reading Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield - absolutely brilliant.  I've now started reading a couple of Maigret stories until I decide what to get stuck into next.

I'd forgotten Setterfield was coming up with a new book, thanks for the reminder! I googled it and it's now on my wishlist :D

Finished Titus Groan .. it was epic :blush2: Am not sure what to read now? .. too many choices :giggle: Think I might actually settle the Animal Farm question once and for all (I never know whether I have read it or not :giggle:) It has two major things going for it .. it's Orwell and it's short :giggle: 

Finished Titus Groan .. it was epic :blush2: Am not sure what to read now? .. too many choices :giggle: Think I might actually settle the Animal Farm question once and for all (I never know whether I have read it or not :giggle:) It has two major things going for it .. it's Orwell and it's short :giggle: 

Great news, will you buy the next in the series? :)

I keep meaning to read the Moomin books. As a child I just didn't 'get' them .. not sure why as I loved WTP. I'm hoping to 'get' them now .. there are some lovely covers for a start :giggle:

Ah yes, I love the covers very much. :) 

x

I'm toying with the idea of recataloguing my books, since atm some of the ISBNs are taken from GoodReads and not the actual books, and the dates are wrong, and other things.. Manual logging is going well, though I've calculated there'll be a lot more writing before I'm done :P.

Yes, it's frustrating knowing that your books are not catalogued correctly. I'm trying to add as much information as I can for each book, but you've just reminded me that I haven't been double checking the ISBNs for most of them. Oops, I'd better go back to the start again! 

Ooh, I'm jealous! It has been a long wait for a new book by Setterfield. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Just finished Georges Perec's A Void.

Working on the review for the book.

I look forward to reading your review. This book is on my TBR pile. It has such an interesting premise!

Fast pace! :D I guess you weren't exaggerating when you said it's hard to put down :)

WAOVW is great, I'm not at all surprised you got sucked right into it :)

Yep, it's a very fast pace for me! My mojo seems to have finally made an appearance for the first time all year. I've been reading a little bit every day. :)

Have you seen the movie of WAOVW? I think it should be interesting. I did enjoy the play, but perhaps not as much as you and Poppyshake.

There's a third thing going for Animal Farm, too, Poppyshake: it's brilliant! 'Four legs good! Two legs bad!' :D

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Titus Groan. It makes me feel a little less daunted to read it myself.

"Ooh, I'm jealous! It has been a long wait for a new book by Setterfield. I'm glad you enjoyed it."

Thanks Kylie.  Yes I thought Bellman and Black was an excellent read.  I hadn't read The Thirteenth Tale which seems to have been a massive hit for her so I will go and look out for it.

Yay for epicness. I'm not that worried about starting it now, thanks :) Go for Animal Farm, it's good! :) I don't think I appreciate it as much as some one here, who love it, but I think that's just because I wasn't in the right mood. I think it has great potential :)

Yep, it's a very fast pace for me! My mojo seems to have finally made an appearance for the first time all year. I've been reading a little bit every day. :)

I'm soo happy to hear mojo's been kinder to you these days! :friends3:  That blasted thing's been too long gone, so he should make amends :yes:

Have you seen the movie of WAOVW? I think it should be interesting. I did enjoy the play, but perhaps not as much as you and Poppyshake.

I have seen half of it. I like it but for some reason I didn't watch the whole thing. I probably had problems with the digibox at the time. I think you might enjoy it :yes:

Think I might actually settle the Animal Farm question once and for all (I never know whether I have read it or not :giggle:) It has two major things going for it .. it's Orwell and it's short :giggle: [/font]

x

If you decide to read it, I look forward to see your review! It's on my TBR and because it's indeed short I think it'd be an easier classic read. I'm quite interested in it, with all the animals etc. I've heard good things about the book. 

Yes, it's frustrating knowing that your books are not catalogued correctly. I'm trying to add as much information as I can for each book, but you've just reminded me that I haven't been double checking the ISBNs for most of them. Oops, I'd better go back to the start again!

x

Oops! I'm not sure whether to apologise for giving you more work or whether not to because your information would be correct(er?) now. 

x

Excellent :)!