New Kindle Paperwhite

Karsa Orlong

They're completely different models, Devi. The Paperwhite is just an ereader using the eInk technology, but the Fire is a tablet. In the UK, the new version of the Paperwhite is in pre-order state until early October, and the Fire HD is the latest model with a couple of different styles available.

Edited by chesilbeach

They're completely different models, Devi. The Paperwhite is just an ereader using the eInk technology, but the Fire is a tablet. In the UK, the new version of the Paperwhite is in pre-order state until early October, and the Fire HD is the latest model with a couple of different styles available.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was getting rather confused.

You're welcome.  I saw on your thread that you've bought yourself a Paperwhite - I hope you enjoy it! :smile2:

So far so good. I read on my ipad, but find it gets heavy after awhile and starts to hurt my hands. The kindle is so light, I don't think i will suffer the same problem.

• 4 weeks later...

If you click on the top of the screen, a menu bar should pop up (it's already visible on the Home Screen). Click on the lightbulb, then press the - sign to where you want the screen to be. I normally have mine set to 0 if the room is nicely lit (because I don't want to waste the battery) and set to 5-10 if it's a bit darker.

If you click on the top of the screen, a menu bar should pop up (it's already visible on the Home Screen). Click on the lightbulb, then press the - sign to where you want the screen to be. I normally have mine set to 0 if the room is nicely lit (because I don't want to waste the battery) and set to 5-10 if it's a bit darker.

Ah, thank you athena. I don't know why i didn't see it before. :(

I've now had my paperwhite a while and I love it. I liked the old Kindle keyboard that I had but this is better and I have found myself using it far more. The only physical books that I have bought recently have been huge textbooks which are unavailable on the Kindle.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a mixture of analogue and digital books and  I am currently reading all my eBooks through the Kindle app on my iPad. Both my wife and I will be getting a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas.

I just wondered if some of you would be kind enough to highlight some of the differences between the experience using the iPad Kindle app and the experience I can expect from the Kindle Paperwhite?

Thanks very much, in advance.

The two main things that stick out to me is fatigue and ease of use. I find the paperwhite is a much better size for holding when reading when compared to an iPad. It fits nicely in the hand and is light enough that I quickly forget that I am reading a digital book. I also find the display much easier on my eyes, especially in low light conditions. Another light related pro is that there is no glare on a paperwhite should you read it in the sun, the screen has a matt finish instead of gloss.