Sad / Soulful Songs

muggle not

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love this version by kd lang, it's my favourite :cray:

Oh dear, its 'lump in the throat' and "Where's the tissues" time :weeping: kd's version it wonderful.

Plus, who wouldn't kill for that jacket she wore ;)  

LOL, and who wouldn't like that version. :)

btw, I listened to the whole song by Leonard Cohen and yes, it was sad.

poppy, I agree with you about Leonard Cohen,  :wibbly:, but strangely I prefer  the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah  :o 

Love Jeff's version and love his version of this too .. though it was a song I previously loathed :blush2:

Love Jeff's version and love his version of this too .. though it was a song I previously loathed :blush2:

It's a good one :smile: .I love Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' album that Lilac Wine is on.Highly recommended.

My all time bitter sweet song is Uncertain Smile by The The. It has to be the version off the Soul Mining album, with sublime piano playing by Jools Holland. I'm sure there would be a link with YouTube, but I such a techno-hopeless person I would make a pigs ear is I tried the link :banghead:

Love this song anyway but this is sublime :)

Poppyshake, I've never heard that before, it's absolutely lovely, made me quite emotional :blush2:

Another by Sting and Cheb Mami that affects me similarly for some reason. Apparently the lyrics to this song were inspired by Frank Herbert's novel Dune.

Thinking of Sting, brought back the awful memories of his version of Fields of Gold. Loathed that song, for years. :negative:  

Until I heard of Eva Cassidy's version - oh my, it's so beautiful!

Poppyshake, I've never heard that before, it's absolutely lovely, made me quite emotional :blush2:

It makes me emotional too .. Sting's own version is gorgeous but this was something more :)

Thinking of Sting, brought back the awful memories of his version of Fields of Gold. Loathed that song, for years. :negative:  

Until I heard of Eva Cassidy's version - oh my, it's so beautiful!

:giggle2: I do like Sting's version but Eva could make anything sound beautiful .. I'm sure she could sing Firestarter and make it sound beautiful .. could have I should have said :(

I remember hearing Somewhere over the Rainbow by her for the first time and it literally stopped me in my tracks. I didn't think anyone could sing it more emotionally than Judy but somehow Eva did .. love her version of Songbird too.

Talking of beautiful songs .. (however it almost kills me to listen to it :cry2:)

and the sublime ...

Two geniuses at work together (but I was shocked to hear that Peter had Dolly Parton in mind for the duet to start with .. I can't see that working the same but anyway I'm glad Kate agreed to do it .. Dolly turned it down apparently :o) I love the video .. so simple but so beautiful.

It makes me emotional too .. Sting's own version is gorgeous but this was something more :)

:giggle2: I do like Sting's version but Eva could make anything sound beautiful .. I'm sure she could sing Firestarter and make it sound beautiful .. could have I should have said :(

I remember hearing Somewhere over the Rainbow by her for the first time and it literally stopped me in my tracks. I didn't think anyone could sing it more emotionally than Judy but somehow Eva did .. love her version of Songbird too.

Talking of beautiful songs .. (however it almost kills me to listen to it :cry2:)

and the sublime ...

Two geniuses at work together (but I was shocked to hear that Peter had Dolly Parton in mind for the duet to start with .. I can't see that working the same but anyway I'm glad Kate agreed to do it .. Dolly turned it down apparently :o) I love the video .. so simple but so beautiful.

Recently I heard Peter Gabriel say that Dolly Parton was his first choice for Don't Give Up! :o Quite a surreal thought, to me. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Polegnala E Todora (Love Chant) by  Le Mystere des voix Bulgares

As I have no idea what the lyrics are, in Bulgarian, but the title of Love Chant gives me a clue. Everytime I hear this, it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Heard this song on John Peel's show on BBC Radio 1, in the late 80s.  Peelie is still missed now, but not forgotten.

Edited by Marie H

• 2 weeks later...

David Gray writes and sings a lot of sad, soulful songs and they are quite beautiful.

Oh lord, you are so right  :cray: .

Maybe I should get myself a cheery, Christmas avatar, like yours  :D . Wait, hold on, I'm so used to being a Xmas grouch  :giggle2: .

Edited by Marie H

• 4 months later...