Your Book Activity - July 2013

I'm reading The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier at the moment.  Hadn't read the synopsis at all, and didn't realise what I was getting into!  Rather odd, but about a third of the way through and still finding my feet with it at the moment.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished NW by Zadie Smith and read Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby while I waited for a delivery of new books. I was pleasantly surprised by Juliet, Naked, I haven't particularly enjoyed much else by Nick Hornby but my wife ordered me to read this one and I liked it.

I promised myself I'd read my new books in whatever sequence they arrived in the post, so now I'm reading Moby Dick.

I was thinking about you when reading the book, thinking that if you haven't yet read it, you'd really like the writing! :)

I know the story of course but I haven't read it yet .. but I will give it an extra bump up the list now :)

Started Suite Francaise today and loving it so far :)

In the mail today via Giveaway  pointed out my Michelle and I got a copy. Have to push this up the TBR pile now as I don't think they want you to take to long to get reading it.

'Until you're mine' by Samantha Hayes

Just about to start this one as I feel obliged to read and review as it was a giveaway on Goodreads.

Did you enjoy New York? I bought it for cheap at a book fair, it sounds like it could be a pretty good book.

I did enjoy it Athena.  I like Edward Rutherfurd's books.  They're big but well worth reading.  I have another of his I got the other day too, Dublin, Foundation.

I'm still wading through Citadel by Kate Mosse (900 pages in all!).  I'm enjoying it very much and reckon it's better than both Labyrinth and Sepulchre.  It ticks all the boxes for me anyway:  WW II, French resistance and Cathar history.

Postie been....I now have my paperback of 'Untying the Knot' by Linda Gillard. Yippee...does happy dance. I love the cover and looking forward to reading it, but must finish what I am reading just now first. I am so bad at starting new books at the moment and have more than one on the go. Why does it make you think you are reading more books by reading more than one at a time!!!

I'm still wading through Citadel by Kate Mosse (900 pages in all!).  I'm enjoying it very much and reckon it's better than both Labyrinth and Sepulchre.  It ticks all the boxes for me anyway:  WW II, French resistance and Cathar history.

Thanks for the update Sue, that's good to hear.  It's definitely one I'm going to get at some point, probably for a holiday read.

Today I've downloaded Once You Break A Knuckle by D. W. Wilson from the Kindle Daily Deal. I saw the author at ShortStoryVille last year, and he read an excerpt from one of the stories and talked about the collection and his background, and I've been meaning to buy it ever since, so at 99p it was a snip! :smile2:

I'm still reading The House on the Strand which I'm still not sure about. So far, it's nowhere near living up to my experience of Rebecca but we'll see where it goes.  :readingtwo: 

Thanks for the update Sue, that's good to hear.  It's definitely one I'm going to get at some point, probably for a holiday read.

Today I've downloaded Once You Break A Knuckle by D. W. Wilson from the Kindle Daily Deal. I saw the author at ShortStoryVille last year, and he read an excerpt from one of the stories and talked about the collection and his background, and I've been meaning to buy it ever since, so at 99p it was a snip! :smile2:

I'm still reading The House on the Strand which I'm still not sure about. So far, it's nowhere near living up to my experience of Rebecca but we'll see where it goes.  :readingtwo: 

I found The House on the Strand quite weird actually and reckon it was written in one of du Maurier's "dark" days - there are few like that one that are difficult to read.  I still think Rebecca is her best but I also like a lot of her short stories like The Birds (so different to the film) and Don't Look Now.  Have you read My Cousin Rachel - that is almost as good as Rebecca.

No, this is only my second Du Maurier.  I do intend to read more, and regardless of how I feel about The House on the Strand when I've finished it, it won't put me off reading more.  Looks like I'll have to try My Cousin Rachel next ;)

I finished Mafia State by Luke Harding, a review can be found in my book log. I've picked a novella off my bookcase for my next read, I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young-Ha Kim.

Finished One Hundred Years of Solitude. At one point there were 18 people with the same name, which got a bit confusing.

Deciding what to read next.

Haha .. yes .. it was boggling wasn't it .. but I loved it all the same .. it was bonkers :)

Finished The Red Queen, might read The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory next.  May as well stay in the same century.........lol

Finished One Hundred Years of Solitude. At one point there were 18 people with the same name, which got a bit confusing.

Crikey!! I have this one to read as well  :doh: Did you enjoy it though Cookie?

I finished House Of Orphans Helen Dunmore , i was disappointed in it as i've enjoyed her other books that i've read but this started off really well,kind of dragged in the middle & then had a really naff ending. It wont put me off trying her other stuff though. I'm now a few chapters into my new book Light Margaret Elphinstone. 

I read House of Orphans in 2007 - and totally agree!  Here's what I said! (Tagged, as it's a bit spoilery)...

The book started off really well. The first chapters about the Orphans and about the doctor were interesting and really drew me in, and the premise was great. However the book changed when Eeva went to Helsinki, and became very political and rather dull. It went on for too long. Towards the end, Eeva sends for Thomas, and he declares his love for her, but she rejects him and he returns to his village - this bit of the book felt very rushed.

The ending was poor. The author recaps what has happened to the male characters, but we are left guessing whether Eeva and Lauri find happiness. It was almost as though she ran out of steam!

Finished The Red Queen, might read The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory next.  May as well stay in the same century.........lol

Yup, ^^^^^  reading now, very good.

I think it will become more clear if you read book two, The Fall of Hyperion (unless you're already reading the Omnibus edition?). I hope you can find what you want to know, though. I plan to reread the Hyperion Omnibus sometime (in English) but probably not yet as there are many other books I want to read too XD (and then read the Endymion Omnibus afterwards). It's been quite some years since I read it so I don't think I remember enough to help you with your questions :(.

Edited by Athena

About One Hundred Yeats of Solitude - I did enjoy it but I think if I hadn't read it quickly I would have been lost!

I really annoyed myself yesterday because I managed to leave my book at work so I'm going to have to start reading another one and then go back to the one I left when I finish that.

I've just finished '44 Scotland Street' by Alexander McCall Smith. I thought that it was a little silly in places, but I still found this an amusing read.

Now I'm just about to start the 2nd book in the series 'Espresso Tales'.

I read House of Orphans in 2007 - and totally agree!  Here's what I said! (Tagged, as it's a bit spoilery)...

The book started off really well. The first chapters about the Orphans and about the doctor were interesting and really drew me in, and the premise was great. However the book changed when Eeva went to Helsinki, and became very political and rather dull. It went on for too long. Towards the end, Eeva sends for Thomas, and he declares his love for her, but she rejects him and he returns to his village - this bit of the book felt very rushed.

The ending was poor. The author recaps what has happened to the male characters, but we are left guessing whether Eeva and Lauri find happiness. It was almost as though she ran out of steam!

Yes that sums it up really well, it's a shame because i loved the beginning but it just to lost it's way as the story went on.

Still reading Light but i haven't been able to get much reading done over the weekend hoping to remedy that though before the children break up for the summer  :readingtwo: