Your Book Activity - June 2013

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thirteen reasons why" didn't like me... What do you think about?

It wasn't the best book ever, but I did like it. It was hard to stop reading actually, not so much because it was so great (there really weren't that many surprises)...but when you have a teenage daughter also, it offers a peek into the teenage mind and reminds you that they have stress and pressure as well

160 pages into Bring Up the Bodies.  Can't put it down.  Must be glue on the cover or sumfink :huh::D

haha .. it's brilliant isn't it :) I can't wait for the next one .. but I suppose I'll have to :D (get a move on Hils :D)

Have finished Brick Lane at last .. it didn't look like a big book but was 490 pages plus. I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped .. I feel that was my fault as I just wasn't in the right mindset for it. Have picked up Simon Callow's Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World. I've read a couple of Dickens biographies and I don't know if this is going to throw up anything different but so far it's very well written and funny. 

160 pages into Bring Up the Bodies.  Can't put it down.  Must be glue on the cover or sumfink :huh::D

I think I almost enjoyed it more than Wolf Hall.  Almost....it's a bit of a tie. :)

Got a lot of reading done this weekend.  Finished the Jean Plaidy, Mary, Queen of France, and another by Jutta Profijit, Dust Angel.  She is the German author that wrote the Morgue Drawer series I've read already.  Dust Angel is funny, and a rather cute mystery involving disappearing bodies, and life changes. 

I've started, well almost half way through Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.  Jury is still out on this one.  Some of the premises the author bases his suppositions on are a bit flighty, enough to throw me off. 

It's really good isn't it . I think i enjoyed it even more than Wolf Hall  :D

There seems to be a consensus forming! :D

haha .. it's brilliant isn't it :) I can't wait for the next one .. but I suppose I'll have to :D (get a move on Hils :D) 

What was it, three years between the first two?  So 2015 for the hardback of the next one, 2016 for the paperback . . .

Still, that's probably sooner than the next George RR Martin book :giggle2:

I think I almost enjoyed it more than Wolf Hall.  Almost....it's a bit of a tie. :)

I loved Wolf Hall, but it's about three years since I read it, so I can't really say for sure.  I'm thinking this one, so far (260 pages in), has a brisker pace about it.  I've found both of them completely absorbing :smile:

Have started the Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. Not far enough into it yet to know if I like it.

I hope you enjoy it, Cookie.  :)  I read it a few years ago and really liked it.  I think there is a sequel to it (oddly enough, I'd forgotten about it - and Michelle's just started a thread about series books!) - I'd better Google it!

Have finished Brick Lane at last .. it didn't look like a big book but was 490 pages plus. I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped .. 

I didn't enjoy Brick Lane either, even though I had high hopes for it. I had read many positive things about it and it looked like a book I would enjoy. However, I didn't even end up finishing it.

I'm about 80% through Now Then Lads: Tales of a Country Bobby. I'm really enjoying it - it's a very interesting read.

It`s a funny thing, taste, is it not?

After reading Brick Lane 5 years ago, I wrote to Monica Ali in praise of the book.

Eventually I got a handwritten letter, delivered by hand to my home whilst I was out, from Monica.

Anyway, some like, some dislike, nobody  can like everything, it`s what makes the world so brilliant.

I hope you enjoy it, Cookie.  :)  I read it a few years ago and really liked it.  I think there is a sequel to it (oddly enough, I'd forgotten about it - and Michelle's just started a thread about series books!) - I'd better Google it!

going to google as well!!

Just finished An English Affair, Richard Davenport-Hines' account of the Profumo affair.  It's a very thoughtful and in-depth study of the scandal that rocked Britain at a time when the stultifying, class-bound society of the post-war years was on its way out, but the Sixties hadn't quite started to swing.  Davenport-Hines paints a particularly sympathetic picture of the society osteopath Stephen Ward, conventionally regarded as a procurer in the case, but he creates a strong case for Ward as the victim of a hypocritcal and vindictive Establishment closing ranks to protect its own.

Well worth a read, by the way!

I've decided to abandon 'The Betrayal of Trust' by Susan Hill. I found that even though this book had potential, the 'wishy-washy' organisation of the plot and badly formed characters made this book very hard to read in my opinion.

Now I have decided to start 'The Garden of Evening Mists' by Tan Twan Eng

I've read about 550 pages of George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 1: A Game of Thrones and am really enjoying the story. I'm hoping to have it finished in a few days (if I spend some time reading, I should be able to do it).

Just finished An English Affair, Richard Davenport-Hines' account of the Profumo affair.  It's a very thoughtful and in-depth study of the scandal that rocked Britain at a time when the stultifying, class-bound society of the post-war years was on its way out, but the Sixties hadn't quite started to swing.  Davenport-Hines paints a particularly sympathetic picture of the society osteopath Stephen Ward, conventionally regarded as a procurer in the case, but he creates a strong case for Ward as the victim of a hypocritcal and vindictive Establishment closing ranks to protect its own.

Well worth a read, by the way!

Well you would say that wouldn't you! :D

Actually I remember the case very well and like most people was  fascinated by it.  I will look out for it as it sounds an interesting read.

Struggling a bit through World War Z as I find some chapters/viewpoints more interesting than others. I'm about half way through, and hope to finish it this weekend.

Bought a few Kindle books recently:

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller

The End of Your Life Book Club - Will Schwalbe

Well you would say that wouldn't you! :D

Actually I remember the case very well and like most people was  fascinated by it.  I will look out for it as it sounds an interesting read.

Sue, I flatly deny ever knowing Miss Rice-Davies!

I'm happy to pass it on if you'd like to read it.  Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Sent an 'unfinished' bookring of to the next person in the ring, off to Greece. Bit of a waste of money but the book just wasn't my read. Also sent a copy of 'Star Gazing' by Linda Gillard to 'Kidsmum'. She hasn't read any of Linda's books and I managed to swap a book for a copy on RISI.

I started a topic in General Chat and I'll add the list of the events as soon as it will be published.

And I truly hope you have your mojo back really soon, Kidsmum!!

Thanks Elenora i'm sure it'll recover eventually  :smile:

Sent an 'unfinished' bookring of to the next person in the ring, off to Greece. Bit of a waste of money but the book just wasn't my read. Also sent a copy of 'Star Gazing' by Linda Gillard to 'Kidsmum'. She hasn't read any of Linda's books and I managed to swap a book for a copy on RISI.

Really looking forward to it coming  :D

I'm still reading The Summer Of The Barshinskeys  Diane Pearson but only have 40 pages to go so i should finish it today. Last month i read 10 books , this month i haven't finished one yet  :doh: