Books that made you cry

Fiona

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, she told me something of a devil appearing on the first pages.

But probably I got the title wrong? In Germany, there is a book called Die Bücherdiebin, the (woman) book thief, but maybe it isn't the same book at all.

Well, she told me something of a devil appearing on the first pages.

But probably I got the title wrong? In Germany, there is a book called Die Bücherdiebin, the (woman) book thief, but maybe it isn't the same book at all.

Well, the 'Death' character appears sporadically through the book but it isn't fantastical, in fact he appears very true to the story, please don't let that put you off...

I never read the book thief and a friend told me it is too much fantasy, but, seeing all these posts here, maybe I should give it a try.

I wouldn't say its fantasy as such, its just narated in the third person by Death/grim reaper but the story itself that 'Death' tells is set very much in reality. Its a great book, but is most defintiely very moving!

I cry at everything, so no big surprise my list of books that make me cry is long.

I lastly cried at the second Fionavar book, when

Paul died at the Summer Tree and finally wept for Rachel

A book that really made me cry was "On the beach" by Nevil Shute, and also "the five people you meet in heaven" when

he meets the girl they abandoned and finds out she is real

I don't remember how young I was but John marsden's tomorrow series got me all emotional, the only books that's ever made me cry really. I must of read the series 8 or 9 times.

Me too, Devi! (Welcome to the forum, by the way.) I've cried loads reading them, and I've probably read the series around the same number of times you have. Did you see the movie last year?

Thank you! No I haven't, my experience of books to movies have never been good, and I wouldn't want to wreck my beloved experiences with the books by watching the movie. Sadly I don't have any friends who have ever read the books and seen the movie, so I can't gather any idea on what it really is like. Have you seen it?

• 4 months later...

I'm currently re-reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and I really do believe that I'll cry no matter how many times I read this book. There are just plenty and plenty of moments that grip you to that point; you can prepare yourself, you can know it's coming but it will still get you each time!

• 2 weeks later...

April Fool's Day by Bryce Courtenay is one of the saddest books I've read. I also read one by Danielle Steele about her son's fight with bipolar and suicide. That had me in floods. Can't remember the title though.

Handle with care by Jodi Picoult I cried at the end.

There was another I was thinking of but I've had a blank.

I cried at the movie of Marley and Me too, but haven't read the book. I know I'll cry when I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't often cry at books, but one which got me was The Kite Runner... "For you, a thousand times..." just had me in tears...

A Thousand Splendid Suns had me crying too...

I'm currently re-reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and I really do believe that I'll cry no matter how many times I read this book. There are just plenty and plenty of moments that grip you to that point; you can prepare yourself, you can know it's coming but it will still get you each time!

Same here! I've never cried from a book more than this one. I only read it the once, but it's so worth another read... I'll make sure I have tissues on hand... so well written!

Whenever someone asks me about a book that made me cry the first one that comes to mind every single time is a book I read when I was younger: Chinese Cinderella. I've read a lot of sad books since but for some reason this one will always remain vivid in my memory

I remembered another book that made me feel a little emotional - Sadako And The Thousand Paper Cranes

I've just finished a biography of Paul Newman, and it made me cry. Silly really; it's not as if I didn't know how it ended! It's just that the book talked so much about his philanthropy and generosity. I had a lump in my throat in the final chapters of the book.

Edited by Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished a biography of Paul Newman, and it made me cry. Silly really; it's not as if I didn't know how it ended! It's just that the book talked so much about his philanthropy and generosity. I had a lump in my throat in the final chapters of the book.

I do this whenever .. and I've read several .. I read a biog about either Audrey Hepburn or Jane Austen. I know what's coming but I can't help it.

I've just finished A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and I was in tears on and off through the whole book but especially at the end.

I've sometimes been emotional about a book, but this evening I've just finished A Monster Calls, and found myself actually, physically crying at the end. Such a simple tale, but so powerful.