Your Book Activity ~ April 2013

I'm about 25% through The Crimson Petal and the White. I wish I had more time to read but I'm up to my eyeballs in studying at the moment. :banghead:  Still, I manage to get about 30 minutes a night of reading so that's pretty good. I'd probably get more time if only I could drag myself away from the internet.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am about 1/3rd of the way through The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein and so far its been incredible. It has to be one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. The amount if research that must have gone in to it is huge.

I'm about a third of the way through The Templar's Quest by CM Palov having seen it sitting on my shelf for over 2 years.  Wish I hadn't bothered though.   Load of rubbish! :blush2:

I'm about a third of the way through The Templar's Quest by CM Palov having seen it sitting on my shelf for over 2 years.  Wish I hadn't bothered though.   Load of rubbish! :blush2:

But at least you know now, so it's not sat on the shelf taunting you any more! :D

I've bought the new Jo Wheatley (Great British Bake Off series 2 winner) book today, and have already made one of the recipes, and also finished reading The Time Machine by H. G. Wells, which I kind of enjoyed - not great but pretty good. :)

Still plodding along with the The Neutronium Alchemist. Almost 300 pages into it and still quite a way too go. Kinda wishing I hadn't started reading such a big book as my Mum just brought 3 more books.

• Angelopolis by Danielle Trussoni
  • Providence by Jamie McGuire
  • Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

I read the first book by Danielle Trussoni, Angelopolis, and loved it. I love books that make fictional stories out of religion or historical events. So intriguing to see the different interpretations.

The Time Machine is fantastic, don't worry! :D

The idea is good and waaaaay ahead of it's time [no pun intended], but its execution as a story is poor; there's far to much pontificating on class struggle which gets old pretty quickly.

The idea is good and waaaaay ahead of it's time [no pun intended], but its execution as a story is poor; there's far to much pontificating on class struggle which gets old pretty quickly.

I disagree.  Apart from one slight misstep towards the end I loved it from start to finish.  The 'pontificating' on class struggle was one of the aspects I found fascinating about it.

The War of the Worlds is much better.

Yep, I agree on that.

ETA: And so is The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

But at least you know now, so it's not sat on the shelf taunting you any more! :D

Well, it not very often I do this but I had to dump this book after about 200 pages last night.  It was just dross.  Still as you say Claire it wont taunt (or even haunt) me any more.  It can sit on the Oxfam bookshelf instead. :smile:

I've now started on William Brodrick's latest book "The Day of the Lie".  Ahh proper reading .....

In the post another RISI swap book.....Stolen by Lesley Pearse. I can't remember if I have read any of her books before, but is sounded good. Making progress too with 'The Postmistress'

I'm sort of dabbling in several books right now.  Just received Black Dog by Stephen Booth, an author someone on another forum recommended.  It starts out very well, most descriptive.   I haven't given up entirely on The Crimson Petal and the White, but haven't made any progress lately.  I'd started another one, but can't remember the name.  lol  It's on the Kindle Fire. 

I also read pretty much of a book on a local suburb, my old stomping grounds.  Pretty neat.

I also, quite unlike me, read completely through the AARP magazine that came in the other day.  :)

In the post another RISI swap book.....Stolen by Lesley Pearse. I can't remember if I have read any of her books before, but is sounded good. Making progress too with 'The Postmistress'

x

I've read two books by Lesley Pearse, Father Unknown and Till We Meet Again. They were both pretty good books. I don't know Stolen, so I can't say anything about that one.

I've finished reading W. Doyle Gentry - Anger Management for Dummies (it was pretty good) and started reading Michel Faber - The Crimson Petal and the White. So far it's quite intriguing and I'm enjoying reading it. My copy is a bit heavy so no reading it while travelling or anything.

I think I've started on The Crimson Petal and the White again.  /sigh/ :)

The style is......./groan/ not to my liking.  Unusual doesn't cover it.  More in the thread for May, later. :D

As I've only been downloading free ebooks for the last month, I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on any great offers in the Kindle under £2.99 or less section (where they highlight 100 books at that price for the whole month), so I delved in and bought myself 11 books for the bargain price of just over £13. This should keep me going through until the end of May, when if I haven't spent any more money, I'll treat myself to another batch. I was delighted to find a couple of books I've been wanting for ages in with the bargains, as well picking a couple of others of my wishlist that weren't in the Bargain section, but had dropped in price to meet my less than £2 criteria.

Here's what I bought:
The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna
Misfortune Cookie by Michelle Gorman
Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper
Mrs Harris Goes to Paris & Ms Harris Goes To New York by Paul Gallico
The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster
Abyss by Tricia Rayburn
The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters by Sierra Dean
Death at Wentworth Court by Carola Dunn
Bella Summer Takes A Chance by Michelle Gorman
The Perfect Audition by Kate Forster
Under The Skin by Michel Faber