Michael Connelly

Not sure if many people have read his novels or not, but I definitely find them quite interesting. I haven't read many but I have read a few. More recently The Drop (unsure if that is his latest). Any opinions on his novels?

post-8563-0-67901300-1362233637_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-55424800-1362233698_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-37175100-1362233733_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-22702200-1362233765_thumb.jpg

The drop is his latest in paperback. I own all the Bosch books the Haller books. I even bought a couple of standalones. He is one of my favourite authors. He's well worth a read. The Gods of Guilt and The Black Box are on my buying list. character wise My order was Bosch, Macavoy, Rachel, Haller, Otherspost-8563-0-95614400-1370348007_thumb.jpg

Edited by dex

• 1 month later...

I read a few of his books. It's quite rare for a writer to create such atmospheric settings. I remember them often being very gloomy, almost depressing. But I would like to read more all the same.

Sorry, I confused him with John Connolly. Apologies.

I did that too but ended up ebing the winner as both writers are very good imho. :readingtwo:

I think I picked up my first John Connolly under the same misapprehension, but as you say, they are both great writers so it was a win.

• 2 months later...

I liked the Lincoln Lawyer film, They should make another. I Didn't like A Darkness more than night, Book or the ending of the Clint Eastwood film of Blood Work.

• 2 months later...

Is Micheal Connelly teaming up with someone to write a book or is he just borrowing a character? I heard he was writing a book with someone else?, but not sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm reading The Black Box as I write. It's my first Michael Connelly book.

Loving the writer's attention to detail. It makes everything, Hary Bosch especially, supremely believable.

This is my first post, other than my 'hello'in the introductions thread.

I've recently discovered, after years of deliberately ignoring the genre, that I love a good crime thriller and am devouring Patterson, Chiuld, Connelly - and lots of other 'new' authors.

Hoping some of you can give me a shove in the right direction and introduce me to many, many more to add to my collection.

Well for me Connelly is the best of the three you mentioned.

I know he has written lots of books, but do try him from the start.

I found that Reacher getting arrested or blamed in the two or three books I tried , boring.

Patterson becomes repetetive, using the scream technique too often.

Even though I do like the Lincoln Lawyer/Mickey Haller books, Court Proceedings can be repetetive.

I found The Black Box disappointing.

Edited by dex

• 4 weeks later...

I really like Connelly. At one of his book signings, someone asked why he wrote police procedurals instead using a a P.I. as his central character. He replied that he was a crime beat reporter for a California paper for 10 years and he never covered a crime solved by a P.I. The crimes he reported were solved by cops collecting forensic evidence, and wearing out a lot shoe leather running down tips and interviewing (possible) witnesses.

I also liked Bosch being portrayed as a flawed individual. I guess that is why I liked the Rebus series by Ian Rankin so much.

• 1 month later...

I'm a huge Michael Connolly fan, have been for years.  Went to see him talk at Trinity College, Dublin in December and he was just amazing!  The God's of Guilt is his latest book ( only out in trade hardback at the moment ) and is another Mickey Haller novel.  Have started re-reading his Harry Bosch books and am loving them all over again :)

Bosch Tv Movie with Titus Welliver playing Harry. Imdb.

It's streaming for free to Amazon Prime members at the moment.  We watched it a few nights ago and enjoyed it. 

I already had a couple on my kindle, so have read the first one, and loved it. 

I read that Connelly picked out Welliver for the role himself, and can believe it.  He really looks like the description!

I liked it and you don't have to be an Aprime or Lovefilm member to watch it, over here.

I enjoyed Titus's performance as Bosch and liked the rest of the cast as well.

Edited by dex

• 5 months later...

I was going to ask this question in its own thread but I didn't know if the Mod's would have liked me opening a new thread just to ask a question so I will ask it here. I am a HUGE fan of Michael Connelly and I loved "The Lincoln Lawyor" movie. But I've been waiting for years to see the sequel to the movie that they said over 2 years ago was in process of being made, yet it never came out and I cant find any news to it. If you're familiar with the book series, you'll know it can obviously happen but I believe the problem may be this: The Lincoln Lawyor is book 1 of the Mickey Haller series. But Mickey Haller #2 and Harry Bosch #14 are the same book. I thought it might cause confusion so I don't know if that's why or not. If anybody has any info, I'd love to hear it. Thanks