Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! It's such a compelling read, isn't it? It's one of my favorite books of all time, and the one I've re-read most.

It is a compelling read, especially where I'm up to at the moment!

Hi everyone. It's been ages since I've been her ethers been a lot of upheaval in my life. I lost my job a d my husband passed away so I've been pretty down and upset. It's nice to know I can always come her thanks Michelle As for my reading. I'm reading The Passage; Tiny Birds Fly Away and Life of Pi I. Also getting over a stomach virus so I haven't really read much this week

Hi everyone. It's been ages since I've been her ethers been a lot of upheaval in my life. I lost my job a d my husband passed away so I've been pretty down and upset. It's nice to know I can always come her thanks Michelle As for my reading. I'm reading The Passage; Tiny Birds Fly Away and Life of Pi I. Also getting over a stomach virus so I haven't really read much this week

Nice to see you back, carm. Sorry about your news. :hug:

Rebecca is one of my all-time favourite novels. :) I've read it quite a few times, listened to an audio version and seen a stage play (where 'Dot Cotton' played Mrs Danvers - excellently if I might say so). I've never seen the Laurence Olivier film, but I did watch the ITV version with Emilia Fox, Charles Dance and Diana Rigg that aired in 1997. I can't remember if it was a faithful adaptation - I have it on DVD (it came free off a newspaper a few years ago) but I haven't got round to rewatching it yet.

I've just started Invitation to the Waltz by Rosamond Lehmann. I'm not very far in so I can't really gauge how I feel about it yet!

Sorry to hear about your sad news Carm. You certainly seem to have had a rough time of it.

I'm about 90% through PopCo and it's now annoying me no end. The preachiness of the last section is driving me up the wall. I read fiction to escape from real life, not to have someone's political views shoved down my through under the thin guise of a novel! :banghead: It's almost like it has been written by two authors; the change in direction towards the end is not something I was expecting or am interested in. It's a novel - not a re-write of No Logo!

Edited by bobblybear

Firstly thank you to Michelle for sending out the email to say hello from the forum - I always enjoyed the forum when I was on it but somehow with so many other distractions lost the habit. So it was great to get a nudge today and have the opportunity to return. So hello again 18 months after my last post.

I went into January reading a book I started in December - What Now Little Man by Hans Fallada. I read Alone in Berlin in 2011 which I really enjoyed and was just in the mood for another of his. I love his writing and the fact that these books were written during the 30s in Germany and reflect the social and political landscape of the time. Yet the books are not totally as Fallada's books often display a dark humour.

My true January book is the one that I am halfway through. It is Peter Hook's account of the Joy Division years titled Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division I'm a big fan of the 70's Manchester music scene and so this is of fascination to me. Also Peter Hook is an excellent and humorous storyteller - I've heard him speak in person and he is very entertaining when telling anecdotes. His book reflects this skill and it's also interesting to find out more about him beyond the 'edgy' character he is often portrayed and comes across as. I don't think it will be too long before I finish this - it's an absolute treat to find a comfy corner, put the kettle on and immerse myself in this book.

Sorry to hear that carm :empathy: You have my deepest sympothy.

Edited by Devi

I'm only a quarter of the way through High Fidelity, but it's wonderful, and lovely to enjoy it so much after struggling with Life of Pi.

High Fidelity is a film that I am fated (or so it seems) to never see. May be I should take control and read the book instead - to hear you describe it as wonderful is very encouraging.

Sorry to hear your news Carm, that's a lot for one person to go through.. I hope you stomach is much better soon too. :empathy: But welcome back! :)

Welcome back JudyB :)

I'm a quarter of the way through My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece, I had a disturbed night last night after reading it and it has definitely been troubling me, very strange as I felt quite distant from it whilst reading! :unsure:

Sorry to hear your news, Carm, that's really harsh :(

I'm about 90% through PopCo and it's now annoying me no end. The preachiness of the last section is driving me up the wall. I read fiction to escape from real life, not to have someone's political views shoved down my through under the thin guise of a novel! :banghead: It's almost like it has been written by two authors; the change in direction towards the end is not something I was expecting or am interested in. It's a novel - not a re-write of No Logo!

I gave up on PopCo quite early, I just wasn't getting into it at all. I think it was you to whom I mentioned The End Of Mr. Y, by the same author? If so, I hope you won't be discouraged by PopCo from trying Mr. Y, because as I say, I didn't even make it 90% of the way through PopCo, but I LOVED Mr. Y.

As for my book activity, it's going very well so far this year! My kobo is definitely encouraging me to read - I pick it up a couple of times a day during work/lunch for 15-20 mins, and then try to read a bit in the evening, too. I've finished two books, am halfway and a third of the way through another 2, and am struggling not to start another one I want to read until the others are finished! So I'm hoping to have about 6 books finished by the end of the month, if not 7 - and that will be a nice start to the year :)

Oh Carm, so sorry to hear your sad news :empathy: It's lovely to see you back though, I've missed you.