poppyshake

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ditto to this, it's a brilliant book. Happy reading in 2013, Shaky :D

It's rapidly climbing the charts :D I can see I will have to read it soon .. I didn't know it had splatty things in though ;) Happy reading Steve! I'm counting on you and James to keep my interest in sci-fi alive, it's hibernating at the moment like a grizzly (and you need to treat it much like a grizzly when waking it .. no poking it with a stick for instance :giggle2:)

I always enjoy reading your posts poppyshake!

Happy reading in 2013! I'll be sure to check in on your progress throughout the year.

Thank you Devi :) Happy reading to you too. Visit me often, I'll talk to myself otherwise :D

Happy reading in 2013, Kay. Looking forward (as always) to reading your brilliantly entertaining reviews.

Happy reading Claire :friends0: Thanks for your encouragement. I saw The Moving Toyshop recently on a pile and I'm sure I said I would bring it next time we met :doh: Oh well, good excuse to meet up again :D was there another? My head is more woolly than usual. One of the books I'm reading is American Wife which I'm sure you lent to me .. enjoying it so far :)

Oh wow huuuuge book lists. Good luck Poppyshake is all I will say right now! Look forward to discussing books and reading your reviews soon.

I thought my lists were well modest compared to everyone else, I was thinking I might invent stuff just to keep my end up :D Good luck too James, drop by for a chat any time :)

Happy reading in 2013, Kay. Looking forward to following your thread closely this year and reading your excellent reviews. :smile2:

Thank you Ben :) Hope you have a great and less stressful year. Always love your blog so will make a nuisance of myself there I expect.

Happy Reading in 2013 :D

Happy reading Laura :) Good luck with your reading goals this year.

I feel like just reading those lists should count as 1 book read on my list! :D Happy reading in 2013!

Gosh Noll, have you seen Kylie's? They are beyond awesome (and that's just the headings :D) Happy reading in 2013, hope it's a good one for you.

Happy reading this year :)

Thank you Jessi .. you too :)

Thank you :) I'd go wing walking with you anytime chalie, we'll take cake for cheering up purposes (or calming down purposes .. cake is surprisingly versatile :D)

Make mine a custard yum yum, Waitrose if possible, I've just discovered them and actually ate two in a row and I'm not normally a big fan of cake... Can I say that here?? :D

It's rapidly climbing the charts :D I can see I will have to read it soon .. I didn't know it had splatty things in though ;) Happy reading Steve! I'm counting on you and James to keep my interest in sci-fi alive, it's hibernating at the moment like a grizzly (and you need to treat it much like a grizzly when waking it .. no poking it with a stick for instance :giggle2:)

In that case I suggest this :D

Thanks Brian :) My hubby read Alone in Berlin last year and really enjoyed it (but that's not always a recommendation :giggle2:) glad you've confirmed it, I love books on WW2 so I'm expecting to love it.

One of the biggest things I liked about it was that although it is set in WW2 it concentrates mainly on German citizens who were caught up in it instead of approaching it from the military point of view.

Your book blog is always a delight, so I shall look forward to reading and commenting on it. Happy reading 2013.

Thanks Janet .. Happy reading to you too. I have my comfy chair set up in your blog anyway .. right next to the cookie jar :)

Make mine a custard yum yum, Waitrose if possible, I've just discovered them and actually ate two in a row and I'm not normally a big fan of cake... Can I say that here??

You can definitely say that here chalie ... not in The Shakedown though .. would probably have to chuck you out :D Though we do cater for the cheese'n'biscuit crew as well. Yum Yum's are nice .. ooh don't get me started, I must concentrate on books :D

In that case I suggest this

You most certainly can :) I will add it to my wishlist. It sounds fascinating, like a sort of fatal version of Groundhog Day :D

Oh my you do like lists don't you... :giggle: ..have fun getting through them.

I do like a list Di but hardly ever take any notice of them, I will write one to go shopping and not even glance at it. I am VERY faithful to my wishlist though but take less notice of the challenges and my TBR :blush2:

One of the biggest things I liked about it was that although it is set in WW2 it concentrates mainly on German citizens who were caught up in it instead of approaching it from the military point of view.

I haven't read many from a German citizen's perspective so it'll be interesting (last year I read Schindlers Ark but that was mainly from a military/POW point of view, Elie Wiesel's Night which was from a Jewish POW perspective and a book called Visitation but that spanned many years and was quite dreamlike so more like snapshots).

As I said earlier, I do like reading about that period in history (and WW1) and it actually led to me being able to help out a poor 'don't know what to get my wife for Christmas' man in Waterstone's. He was at the counter asking for help with a book and they sort of dismissed him which was a bit rude (though they were under horrendous Christmas pressure). I wasn't there .. I was browsing .. but Alan was queuing and heard his request and then came and found me and asked if I had any ideas. His wife apparently 'liked to read stories about folks in the (first or second) world war having a hard time' :D Anyway, quick rattle of my brain and I came up with My Dear I Wanted To Tell You which he was very happy about and a member of staff did go and find a copy for him (yes, they can move when there's a guaranteed sale in it). I almost felt like a bookshop worker for five mins and, the good thing is, if she doesn't like it then he can't find me to complain :D I think she will, it's a lovely story .. I thought so anyway (and folks is 'aving it rather 'ard in it so I think she'll be pleased).

sarissocks.jpg

These are the books I bought from Waterstone's with my vouchers and returns (and little bit of added money :blush2:) I did have an Amazon order on the go, books were in my basket and everything, when .. just at the last minute I decided to check out the Book Depository to see if it would be cheaper and it was so the order has been placed with them now and hopefully it will be delivered soon.

You will be admiring my socks I have no doubt but you will admire them even more when I tell you that frankie's Mum knitted them :) You never had such warm socks on your feet in all your life and they are itching (not literally .. they are very soft actually) to get me out walking. I am so sad I didn't buy any pink books because that would have made the pic better but look .. I bought two books that were the absolute same colour blue and if that's not a co-incidence (and a sign of something good coming) I don't know what is :)

sarissocks.jpg

the absolute same colour blue and if that's not a co-incidence (and a sign of something good coming) I don't know what is smile.png

That is my absolute favourite shade of blue Kay well done Frankie's mum...oh yeah the books. I have read Wonder from that pile it was OK

Edited by vodkafan

Ooooh, Down and Out in Paris and London - love it! :D

Yes I can't wait :) I've wanted to read it for sooooooooooooooooooooo long.

That is my absolute favourite shade of blue Kay well done Frankie's mum

It's a beautiful colour isn't it? Frankie's mum .. for all sorts of reasons .. is a genius.

oh yeah the books. I have read Wonder from that pile it was OK

Lol .. a ringing endorsement :D

Your post reminds me that I have to add Down and Out in Paris and London to my wishlist. It's great to see that you could help out someone in need with your book knowledge.

Yes, I surprised myself because usually my head is just a mass of disconnected thoughts .. to have plucked a book title from it, let alone one which fitted the bill, is nothing short of a miracle .. and I hadn't even eaten any oily fish to account for it .. chocolate must be better for you than they say :D

Oh, and the sock rock.

They do don't they? .. they could have given the man a dozen suitable titles .. no problem :D

Love you book and socks pic. Looks so cosy. I hope all those Roald Dahl books on your TBR are re-reads. I can't imagine a childhood without him. Danny the Champion of the World is my favourite.

Oh dear, my age is showing :blush2: My childhood was more Enid than Roald :) He had already written them but they weren't as popular back then (think floods and arks and stuff) so no, they're not re-reads. My childhood was without Roald :( .. it may account for a lot :D

Love the socks, I'm a big fan of cosy socks, then again probably everyone in the UK probably is! Looks like a great book selection too, do you deliberately choose books with quirky titles?

I am a big fan of cosy socks too and boy do I need them at the moment .. frankie's mum probably knew this :) Actually I am drawn to quirky titles and book covers :blush2: I do read the premise obviously but I'm much more likely to pick up a book called 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages' than I am one called something like 'The Island'. That's why this forum is so important because I can read about great books that I've probably passed by in the bookshop.

Happy reading Claire :friends0: Thanks for your encouragement. I saw The Moving Toyshop recently on a pile and I'm sure I said I would bring it next time we met :doh: Oh well, good excuse to meet up again :D was there another? My head is more woolly than usual. One of the books I'm reading is American Wife which I'm sure you lent to me .. enjoying it so far :)

Ooh, pleased to hear you're reading American Wife - I love Sittenfeld's writing, and she's got a new book out this year too, so I'm looking forward to that one enormously.

I think the other book was Pedant in the Kitchen but I got that cheap on Kindle, so won't need to borrow that one, but thanks for The Moving Toyshop, which I'll definitely borrow next time we meet up. :smile2:

sarissocks.jpg

Have you been reading my mind? I have almost all these books on my wishlist, except the top one which I've just looked up and added! Fantastic selection, if you ask me (which you didn't, but I'm giving my opinion anyway :P ) Oh, and Down and Out In Paris and London isn't on my wishlist either, but I read it years ago and remains one of my favourite non-fiction books ever.

Love the socks!! Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather - what an odd title! :giggle: Hope it's as intriguing as it sounds.

Yes it was the title that drew me to it bobbs, although lovely cover too .. I hope it's good but two out of three ain't bad :giggle:

Super socks and seems like a great book haul to boot. Loving the picture Kay, you'd be a natural on Instagram.

Thanks Ben, I take quite a few pics .. especially of books and feet .. and cake .. quite often all three :giggle2:

Ooh, pleased to hear you're reading American Wife - I love Sittenfeld's writing, and she's got a new book out this year too, so I'm looking forward to that one enormously.

I'm getting on great with it :) I will definitely keep an eye out for her next one .. well, I'll read your review of it first :D

I think the other book was Pedant in the Kitchen but I got that cheap on Kindle, so won't need to borrow that one, but thanks for The Moving Toyshop, which I'll definitely borrow next time we meet up.

Ah right, yes I remember now :blush2:I feel I should warn you that I am giving up cake Claire .. as of Monday .. but as I will probably only last until Friday I don't think it will affect our get-togethers. I wouldn't want you to faint when I say 'no' to cake that's all .. or think me an imposter or something. Good job I'll have The Moving Toyshop with me as proof :D

Have you been reading my mind? I have almost all these books on my wishlist, except the top one which I've just looked up and added! Fantastic selection, if you ask me (which you didn't, but I'm giving my opinion anyway :P ) Oh, and Down and Out In Paris and London isn't on my wishlist either, but I read it years ago and remains one of my favourite non-fiction books ever.

Hehe .. great minds and all that :D You can certainly borrow any of them Claire .. just let me know what takes your fancy when we next meet. I've heard great things of Down and Out in Paris & London so looking forward to it, I always feel I've read it but then remember I haven't .. it's just been on my TBR (but haven't got a copy) list for ages :blush2:

I will probably be catching up on my 2012 reviews for the best part of this year :blush2: If there's one thing I want to do this year it's to try and keep more up to date with reviews, maybe I should offer myself a book/cake/treat incentive? :) and a word limit ;)

Gillespie and I review

Think I deserve a doughnut or something now :D