Nollaig's 2013 Reading

Nollaig

Right! Haven't done any reading since I posted that first review, but I brought my Kobo to work today so I'll be starting something new today! I think I'm going to read the first few pages of the second Nicholas Flamel book just to kick it off, and I may also start the first Merlin book (The Lost Years) by T. A. Barron. Amidst this I'm still reading Paul O'Grady's first autobiography, and I intend to catch up on the Guardians Of Childhood asap too.

I still need to update my TBR list, I'll probably be doing that this evening.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice list! :)

Of your TBRs, I have read 8, have 1 on my own TBR list, and want to read a further 5.

I liked Her Fearful Symmetry, but nowhere near as much as I liked TTTW - that was such a wonderful book it was always going to be a hard act to follow.

I still really need to get around to reading The Time Travellers Wife - for some reason I always seem to put it off and I don't know why.

I will have to check these out! And the word 'disturbing' has now lost all meaning :giggle:

I like to think that the BCF is re-defining its many, multiple meanings :D We are the new literary frontier!

I think I will check these out too!

I definitely recommend them! Just beware that Exquisite Corpse is very graphic and yucky, too!

I still really need to get around to reading The Time Travellers Wife - for some reason I always seem to put it off and I don't know why.

I'll be interested to see if you enjoy it Ben, I have a pre-conceived idea that it is a book that would more likely appeal to women? :)

It's a good read, but I remember being unimpressed by the ending, and I certainly wasn't as gone on it as many people were.

I liked Her Fearful Symmetry, but nowhere near as much as I liked TTTW - that was such a wonderful book it was always going to be a hard act to follow.

I wasn't mad about TTTW, though I did enjoy it, so either I'll like Symmetry even less, or I'll much prefer it! :P

I definitely recommend them! Just beware that Exquisite Corpse is very graphic and yucky, too!

Oh dear. I feel like I'm going in to watch a scary film! :giggle:

Just seen you haven't read two of Linda Gillard's book....get on with it woman....lol. :giggle2:

I know, I know, but there are about 100 books I haven't read - I just tend to buy a bunch of books, read one or two, and the rest sink to the bottom of the pile, to be replaced by one or two of my next big purchase! It's a never-ending cycle :(

I'll be interested to see if you enjoy it Ben, I have a pre-conceived idea that it is a book that would more likely appeal to women? :)

That's probably because it's essentially a love story and has some soppy moments! :giggle:

I absolutely loved The Swan Thieves, Noll, so you'll have to let us know what you think when you get around to reading it :D

I also have Remarkable Creatures on my TBR list. My enjoyment-factor has lessened a bit with Chevalier's most recent books, but I'm still looking forward to reading it one day.

I've also read A Pale View of Hills and would recommend it, too. :yes: But I'm not sure I would call it disturbing, or maybe it's a different type of 'disturbing'.

I would say it was a dark book, that I found unsettling especially at the end. I remember going straight onto Google to try to find out if I was interpreting it the 'right' way.

I also have Remarkable Creatures on my TBR list. My enjoyment-factor has lessened a bit with Chevalier's most recent books, but I'm still looking forward to reading it one day.

For what it's worth, I read Remarkable Creatures recently and loved it. The only other Chevalier book I have read is Girl With A Pearl Earring which I also liked, but as I haven't read any of her recent books I can't say whether I think they are any better or worse.

I absolutely loved The Swan Thieves, Noll, so you'll have to let us know what you think when you get around to reading it :D

I'm looking forward to reading it, the only reason I haven't is that it's such a big book and I've been avoiding those for about a year due to sketchy mojo! I've read two Chevalier novels, I liked one and was less keen on others, but I'm looking forward to trying more.

For what it's worth, I read Remarkable Creatures recently and loved it. The only other Chevalier book I have read is Girl With A Pearl Earring which I also liked, but as I haven't read any of her recent books I can't say whether I think they are any better or worse.

I thought Girl With A Pearl Earring was a fantastic book. Was less keen on that Unicorn one (Lady and the Unicorn?).

Have started the first Merlin book by T. A. Barron. So far, so good. Methinks I need to compile an Arthurian reading list (again) so I finally get through the books I have (I have at least five different Arthurian/Merlin authors.)

I'm looking forward to seeing your reviews of the young adult fantasy series as I love the genre but there is some bad writing amongst the good - so hard to know which to choose.

I also agree that Remarkable Creatures is an excellent read and I couldn't finish Lady and the Unicorn so the author definitely has her up and down moments.

Happy reading!

Thanks ladymacbeth! It's good to know someone else who didn't like Unicorn did like Remarkable Creatures - I feel less hesitant about going back to her books now. I would have ANYWAY, but it's nice to feel less hesitant doing so. :D That said, it's actually Burning Bright that's on my TBR, I don't have Remarkable Creatures yet so I'm not sure how it got into the conversation on the other page! I'm putting it on my wishlist now, though.

I agree there is a very mixed bag of authors writing YA fantasy. I HATE badly written fantasy, it's the least abidable thing for me in reading, so the struggle to find good fantasy is often a painful one, but very rewarding when I find good series :D

Just finished the second Guardians Of Childhood novel, E. Aster Bunnymund and The Warrior Eggs At The Earth's Core! It was awesome, every bit as awesome as the previous book. These are now, without a doubt, my favourite children's books. I've read the first twenty or so pages of the third book as well, hoping to finish that by Tuesday. I'll post an overall review of the trilogy when I'm finished.

I'm also just over halfway through The Lost Years Of Merlin by T. A. Barron, and it's very enjoyable :)

Also, in other, sadder news, I lost a book voucher for €25 :( I was given it at work for doing some website stuff for a woman who works in a student department, and I waited all over Christmas to spend it - got ready to go to Waterstones last night and it was gone :( Absolutely no idea where it might be. Hoping it will turn up.

See, now for some reason I loved The Lady and the Unicorn :lurker: It's my favorite of hers, in fact.

Noll, have you read anything by Iain Pears? It seems like you might like his book The Instance of the Fingerpost and another one, Dream of Scipio. You should check them out if you have time. I don't know why I just thought of those, but they popped into my head :D.

I just looked both of those up and they sound really good, but are they heavy sort of reads? I always find Chevalier's stuff, while very good, to be quite light, easy reads. I dunno why, but the Pears books seem like they might be a bit more demanding. Which is absolutely fine, but it does mean I probably won't get to them for quite a while as my mojo is pretty weak and I'm coaxing it back to life with YA and easy reading :giggle:

I was too, but when I finally got round to reading it, I was kicking myself for delaying so long. It's definitely not my usual type of book, but it's just so lovely on every level and I really felt for everyone involved. The ending wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I think what went before made up for that.

I've read The Lady and the Unicorn and enjoyed it, but I've yet to read GWAPE. I'd like to though. :)

I was too, but when I finally got round to reading it, I was kicking myself for delaying so long. It's definitely not my usual type of book, but it's just so lovely on every level and I really felt for everyone involved. The ending wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I think what went before made up for that.

I think I just need to take the plunge because I've heard a lot of positive things about it and I have literally no excuse for not picking it up and at least giving it a go.

Sorry to hear about losing the voucher Noll, that sucks. :( I do hope it turns up somewhere soon and that you can shop to your heart's content. :friends0:

Edited by Ben

Yeah, me too. Maybe it'll give me some motivation to tidy my room a bit, it IS a mess :giggle: Losing things is a gift I possess, though. I just put things down in random places without thinking - I lose my temper at myself quite frequently for being such an eejit like that!

In book-related activities, I got my Kobo cover today, it's GORGEOUS! I left my phone at home, so I can't take a picture until this evening, but I'll post one then.

I also just added some new e-books to my Kobo, from a work colleague's Kindle!

About A Boy - Nick Hornby

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne

Ghost Story - Peter Straub

Shadowland - Peter Straub

I Am The Messenger - Markus Zusak

The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury

Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom

The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

Those two I mentioned by Iain Pears are pretty heavy, especially Dream of Scipio. Sorry, Noll!

Iain Pears does have a series of cozy mysteries that I loved as well, but not sure how into them you would be. They are just straight murder mysteries involving stolen works of art, which was why I was first drawn to them :D. Definitely not as heavy though. I think the first book in the series is called The Rafael Affair.

Wtg on those books you just added to your Kobo! Happy reading! :D

Loved The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas and I Am the Messenger. Keep meaning to read Tuesdays With Morrie.

You should DEFINITELY read Tuesdays With Morrie. Beautiful book. Really really lovely. I haven't read it in years, and there's only one tiny snippet I remember clearly, where Mitch (the author) talks about one time I think he was with Morrie at a game, and everyone with foam hands was shouting 'We're number 1! We're number 1!' and Morrie stood up and shouted, 'What's wrong with being number 2?' It's that kind of book. Absolutely beautiful.

I'm going to reread it very soon.

I've started reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub - I only meant to glance at it and then I was nearly a quarter of the way through it! Very enjoyable writing, though I have no idea where it's going.

It's definitely on my re-read list but trying to find time for it will be hard!

I've also just discovered someone named Cory Doctorow - I will be checking out his newest book Pirate Cinema after my current reads I think. Looks very interesting - it's to do with internet piracy and the consequences for one guy's family when he gets banned from the net (and subsequently the rest of his family, who need it for work and school, do too).

My reading is not moving nearly as fast as I would like. I've had issues with Peter Straub's Ghost Story on my Kobo - my Kobo decided originally it was 803 pages long, then that it was 975 pages long, and when I'd read all 975 pages, the text just cut off. So I still have a lot more in that to read than I realised.

As well as that, I've gotten a copy of a strange book called Island by Jane Rogers - it's the source of a film that was made last year, a small, low-budget film starring Colin Morgan from Merlin (my only reason for watching, and enduring, the film). Parts of the film were intriguing and Colin's awesome acting was wasted on the mundanity of the rest of it, but it's interested me enough to go and check out the book which inspired it.

ETA: Somehow managed to entirely forget to update this thread with the completion of a third book - the first Merlin book by T. A. Barron. I'm working my way through the second in the series at the moment, and think I will stop after that to focus on other books, so I'll review them both together in a few days - but I'm definitely enjoying them and will continue with the series.