J K Rowling - Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince (#6)

Kell

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I saw the movie last night and although it missed out loads, it was still good. They forced relationships on the audience

Ginny & Harry and Ron & Hermione

. They weren't subtle about it, there was no "will they won't they?". There was no action at the end. The OOTP didn't get involved at all.

Snape killed Dumbledore, Harry yelled at Snape. End.Also, Rubin and Tonks were together, no mention of it at all!

I haven't re-read the book for a while, so think that I may do that soon.

Hm. I didn't really have big expectations for the movie, but I thought it was greater than any other HP movie. It was AWESOME compared to the other ones. Seriously. Sure, there was some bits where it's like, WHAAAT? but still! They stuck to the book more. (I was outraged by the Avada kedavra thing though, it was BLUE! Supposed to be green.) and also that part with snape...

but anyways. It was better.

no funeral though. And battle. wtf! I mean, I heard interviews that there wasn't a funeral or battle, and I got over it, but I still think the sadness of Dumbly's death woulda been doubled if there was a funeral. And the phoenix lament? Pfff.

I can't wait to see this either... but well, I'll have to! It only shows in french where I am at the moment and I want to see the original, english version. So I need to wait until I come home from college in 10 days. :D

Life is hard, isn't it? :D

True, true, to tell the truth I had completely forgotten it was coming out this week until 10 days ago :D I'm just frustrated and surprised that none of the 10 cinemas or so in this city are showing it in english... Surely if one of them did, it would get the benefit of the audience which likes seeing original versions?!

*stops pouting*

This one is my second favourite of the HPs I think. I saw the film today and was disappointed (I always am, but because it's a favourite I was more so I think). They missed too much out for my liking and changed things unnessersarily.

I dont think i wanna see it anymore because some people said it was good and others bad. And my friend told me the entire story of the movie. I think the book was better. Well they always are. So much more fun reading than watching.

I haven't read this book since it first came out and it's all abit of a blur (think I read it too quickly in my haste to find out what happened.) So I think I shall have to re-read and also get myself to see the film.:D

I did the same thing. So I re-read the book and I understood it a lot better. It really helps. Hope you enjoy it.:D

Edited by Michelle
consecutive posts merged

I've read the book and seen the film and I enjoyed them both. I think there was so much information in the book that they didn't have a choice but to miss scenes out unfortunately. However I think they adapted it really well for the screen and the added scenes were done quite well. I think it was a great movie and a lot less dis-jointed than the OOTP movie too. :lol:

I really can't wait for the last movie now and I'm glad they're splitting it into two parts to fit it all in. There's no way it could be a 2 hour job :lol:

This one is my second favourite of the HPs I think. I saw the film today and was disappointed (I always am, but because it's a favourite I was more so I think). They missed too much out for my liking and changed things unnessersarily.

Totally agree. I saw it Saturday night and didn't think that the ending was handled well.

Highlight for spoiler:

Why wasn't Harry frozen at the end? That won't make sense unless you have read the books. People have said 'but Snape told him to stay quiet' but Harry never trusted Snape so why would he trust him now?

Also, why did Snape blurt out 'I am the Half Blood Prince' at the end? It didn't even explain what half blood prince means.

Hm. I didn't really have big expectations for the movie, but I thought it was greater than any other HP movie. It was AWESOME compared to the other ones. Seriously. Sure, there was some bits where it's like, WHAAAT? but still! They stuck to the book more. (I was outraged by the Avada kedavra thing though, it was BLUE! Supposed to be green.) and also that part with snape...

but anyways. It was better.

no funeral though. And battle. wtf! I mean, I heard interviews that there wasn't a funeral or battle, and I got over it, but I still think the sadness of Dumbly's death woulda been doubled if there was a funeral. And the phoenix lament? Pfff.

Spoilers:

It got to me when the Phoenix flew around the tower :lol: I thought that was affective but there was no battle and no funeral liek you said. I have heard that the funeral has been filmed and will be featured in the deleted scenes on the DVD! Not good.

I was more upset when Sirius died in OOTP.

As usual the movie just can't live up to the book. The only really enjoyable part for me was the Quidditch. Ron was hilarious.

The best thing I can say about the movie was that I took my 11 year old cousin who is a very poor reader and struggles at school (not for want of trying). She has never read the books and really enjoyed the movie. And afterwards she said she would like to read the first HP book even though it would take her a month. So go HP movie for encouraging reluctant readers!!

As usual the movie just can't live up to the book. The only really enjoyable part for me was the Quidditch. Ron was hilarious.

The best thing I can say about the movie was that I took my 11 year old cousin who is a very poor reader and struggles at school (not for want of trying). She has never read the books and really enjoyed the movie. And afterwards she said she would like to read the first HP book even though it would take her a month. So go HP movie for encouraging reluctant readers!!

that is brilliant *thumbs up*

I thought the book was way better than the film, I was so excited to see it, but was completely disappointed. I felt like it just dragged on and nothing really happened, I definitely would have liked to see

the fight in Hogwarts and Dumbledore's funeral as they were huge parts of the book

I don't think that they

handled Dumbledore's death well. Mind you, I didn't think that they handled Sirus' death well in the previous film. Lets hope they don't mess up any of the deaths that happen in the future film!

The film is never going to live up to the book, there just isn't enough time in the film to cover everything. I try to appreciate the film for what it is.

The scene where

Dumbledore is killed

was a little clumsy in my opinion. I really feel however, that the scene where

all the staff and students are gathered in the courtyard, and their raised wands eradicate the dark mark from the sky is more fitting than a long winded funeral scene. To have Fawkes fly off at the end of the film was brilliant, his song fittingly (and true to the book) haunting.

I enjoyed the film, but I think you do have to keep the films and books separate in your mind. They end up in the same place, but their paths there differs somewhat!

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I didn't think I would enjoy the ending because I'd read that

the funeral scene was left out, but I think the scene with the wands was really beautiful and a worthy addition

I also couldn't understand why

Harry wasn't frozen by Dumbledore. When DD lost his wand, I was thinking 'what's going on? he hasn't frozen Harry yet!' It does seem unlikely that Harry wouldn't have lifted a muscle to help, especially just because Snape but a finger to his lips.

And I wish they had included

the fight scene in the castle. That would have been brilliant.

I am, however, glad that they left out a lot of

the memories that DD showed Harry. I always got a little bored by them in the book.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed it. I've long since given up on expecting a true-to-book movie, so I just try to note the differences but keep enjoying the movie. :lol:

I'm looking forward to the next couple of movies. Surely they will be able to fit it all in given they have two movies to do it in!