Your Book Activity ~ November 2012

Kylie

I finished reading a book called Wrotten English, about typos, and read more of The Vanishing Act. I also received The Undercover Economist in the mail (hurray! I ordered it ages ago but it didn't arrive, so the BD sent me another copy).

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been waiting patiently and finally House of Silence ~ Linda Gillard is available in paperback....been on to Amazon to order it. Also had a journal entry made on Bookcrossing for my bookray. Finally reached the last reader.

I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet, I've barely been home a few hours in the last 3 days (oops!) but it's interesting! It's supposed to take the serial killing and look at it from the point of the victim instead of the killer - who are the more vulnerable people and why? It's good so far!

I'm going to have to keep an eye on your progress with it, I'm pretty close to adding it to my wishlist :giggle:

Oooh, just finished Part 1 of Fingersmith.

Sue has just been put into the institution.

Brilliant - now it's going to get really good! I was trying to guess where the story would go and couldn't get a feel for it.

Amazing, wasn't it? It's

one of the best and most unexpected twists I've ever come across in the books I've read.

Superb!

50 pages or so into Memoirs of a Geisha and I'm enjoying it, I can see me reading this pretty quickly.

A lot of people on here have loved the book, and like you I've had it on the bookshelf for such a long time and haven't just gotten to reading it. And I fear it might be a difficult read, even? Anyhow, it's always great to hear someone's read it and loved it, it gives me hope to eventually maybe pick it up and actually read it.

Have you heard about the real story of the geisha the book is about? She wrote her own story when she wasn't at all happy with MoaG. It's supposed to be great, too!

I finished reading the book on psychopaths, and started reading The Bat by Jo Nesbø. Finally I'm reading a non-Finnish book that's set in places I've actually visited! :D

Yesterday's haul from the local bookstore and a few I ordered from amazon. Takes a deep breath. Okay, here it is: :D

Centuries of June - Keith Donohue

The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Demons - Fyodor Dostoevsky

House of Silence - Linda Gillard

The Portrait of a Lady - Henry James

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie

A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

Wildfire at Midnight - Mary Stewart

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

My Christmas shopping is done. :blush2:

four chapters in and I am already loving I Am Legend!

:D

be sure to skip the movie......please :/

I just couldn't read anymore of Harlan Coben's Stay Close....it was that bad....so I am trying The Night Strangers

Edited by Sofia

be sure to skip the movie......please :/

I just couldn't read anymore of Harlan Coben's Stay Close....it was that bad....so I am trying The Night Strangers

Too late! I had already seen the movie :(

It actually inspired me to read the book more, as everyone commented it was better.

Edited by Devi

Have just finished re-reading 'The Art of Racing In the Rain' by Garth Stein and I think I have enjoyed this even more than the first time I read it. It's such a great book.

Now I'm about to read 'The Stand' by Stephen King. I had a false start with this a few weeks ago, but now I have read the Reading Circle's book choice, I can concentrate on this fully.

Now I'm about to read 'The Stand' by Stephen King. I had a false start with this a few weeks ago, but now I have read the Reading Circle's book choice, I can concentrate on this fully.

I'm about 15 hours into the audiobook and really enjoying it! Hope you do to :D

I'm about 15 hours into the audiobook and really enjoying it! Hope you do to :D

15 hours!? I have seen the mini series the BBC showed of 'The Stand' and I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping that I will enjoy this.

Edited by karen.d

Finally finished a book! The Last Letter from your Lover by Jojo Moyes, not as good as Me Before You but still very good.. Not sure what to read next but it needs to be a light one as so much going on at the mo. :)

Christian the lion! Christian the lion! :exc:

I'm reading The Cleaner of Chartres by Sally Vickers at the moment. Not sure about it yet as it's a bit of a slow starter but quite a quirky little book.

Christian the lion! Christian the lion! :exc:

I just searched amazon for this book as I have watched the documentary, which was great. There are two choices though; A Lion Called Christian or Christian the Lion. Are these the same book with different titles? Christian the Lion was published 2009, and A Lion Called Christian 2010.

I just searched amazon for this book as I have watched the documentary, which was great. There are two choices though; A Lion Called Christian or Christian the Lion. Are these the same book with different titles? Christian the Lion was published 2009, and A Lion Called Christian 2010.

I looked earlier and noticed that too.. Any ideas frankie? Not that I'm going to buy it yet of course..............

They both say "by Anthony Bourke and John Rendall" so I imagine they're the same book, retitled. :)

ETA: According to this site, 'Christian the Lion' is a children's version of 'A Lion Called Christian'. :)

A Lion Called Christian is the full story behind the amazing clip. Originally published in 1971, this unique and extraordinary tale has now been fully revised and updated by the authors, with stunning photographs of Christian from cuddly cub in Chelsea to magnificent lion in Africa.

An edition for younger readers, entitled Christian the Lion, is also now available.

Edited by Janet

I looked earlier and noticed that too.. Any ideas frankie? Not that I'm going to buy it yet of course..............

They both say "by Anthony Bourke and John Rendall" so I imagine they're the same book, retitled. :)

ETA: According to this site, 'Christian the Lion' is a children's version of 'A Lion Called Christian'.

Ah, that's a shame, I wanted to read two books of Christian the lion :( But thanks Janet for looking it up! :) NickB, I've not seen the document but I've seen this

, it's heart melting! :wub:

I've read about half of The Bat, going pretty good so far. I have a few niggles with it, though, it'll be interesting to see if Nesbø gets any better with the later novels.