Your Book Activity ~ November 2012

Kylie

I finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese which was wonderful.

I loved that book too it took me awhile to get into it but then i couldn't put it down :smile:

Finally decided to make a start on Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, its only been on my bookcase for a few years :D

I was the same Brian but so many people who read it enjoyed it so i eventually got round to reading it & was glad i did. Hope you enjoy it as well :smile:

I'm over halfway through Red Lights & Green Lizards & wishing something interesting would happen it's not bad enough to give up on but at this rate i'll be glad when i get to the end :doh:

I bought a few books at the charity shop yesterday

Anansi Boys Neil Gaiman - this will be my first Neil Gaiman book

The Loving Spirit Daphne Du Maurier

Q Luther Blissett - bought for hubby

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. What I also love about the 'olden days' books is that there are no electric gadgets, people still get handwritten letters and they are devoured and cherished. *sigh* It's just so much more romantic!

It is, but I always tend to think about how cold it must have been without central heating. I mean I know they had fireplaces, but it's not quite the same. I feel cold just thinking about it. :cold:

Hoping to read more of it tonight, but I only seem to be reading a few pages at a time. I need to take myself away from all distractions, so I can concentrate on it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that this weekend.

It is, but I always tend to think about how cold it must have been without central heating. I mean I know they had fireplaces, but it's not quite the same. I feel cold just thinking about it. :cold:

I'm only 39, and I can remember a time without central heating! Fireplaces were lovely - we had a gas fire in our main room - but getting out of my warm bed and running down to the fire in the living room was tough! We also had a little electric fire for the bathroom, which we'd put on for a while before our baths. Electric and water! :giggle:

Very light reading there! What book is it?

It is, isn't it :D It's a Norwegian book and I don't know if it's been translated into English, that's why I didn't mention the title. It's by Aud Dalsegg and Inger Wesche.

I noticed you are reading a book called A History of British Murders or something like that, on Goodreads? How is it going so far, is it any good?

Yes, but I like to overlook those minor details... I'm a hopeless romantic, I suppose! :blush:

I'm only 39, and I can remember a time without central heating! Fireplaces were lovely - we had a gas fire in our main room - but getting out of my warm bed and running down to the fire in the living room was tough! We also had a little electric fire for the bathroom, which we'd put on for a while before our baths. Electric and water! :giggle:

Really?? :o Mind you, I remember a coworker who was in her early 40s telling me about sitting in her mothers front room as a child, and being so cold she could see her breath coming out. I hate being cold - and it doesn't matter how many layers you have, sometimes you just can't get the cold out of your bones. Hate it! :hide:

I hope you enjoy Storm Front, chesilbeach. It is such a fun series. :D

I'm almost done with The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks and it's okay. It's fast paced and keeps my interest, anyway. Nothing deep, though.

Tomorrow I will be starting on Virconium by M. John Harrison. I hope it's not as intimidating as it looks. :hide:

I'm close to finishing Watch My Back by Geoff Thompson and then I can focus on Stephen King - On Writing. Hopefully I can just finish off the last 50 pages or so of The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson too. Slowly working through my pile :)

I finished Red Lights & Green Lizards by Liz Anderson was disappointed in it as it didn't really live up to my expectations. My next read is going to be a Christmas Carol Charles Dickens.

It is, isn't it :D It's a Norwegian book and I don't know if it's been translated into English, that's why I didn't mention the title. It's by Aud Dalsegg and Inger Wesche.

I noticed you are reading a book called A History of British Murders or something like that, on Goodreads? How is it going so far, is it any good?

I should check and see if there's a translation :)

I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet, I've barely been home a few hours in the last 3 days (oops!) but it's interesting! It's supposed to take the serial killing and look at it from the point of the victim instead of the killer - who are the more vulnerable people and why? It's good so far!

Oooh, just finished Part 1 of Fingersmith.

Sue has just been put into the institution.

Brilliant - now it's going to get really good! I was trying to guess where the story would go and couldn't get a feel for it.

I remember when i got to that bit thinking, hang on a minute, and then having to go back & read it again i was so not expecting it :smile:

I finished A Christmas Carol, as it was the middle story in a 4 book volume i hadn't realised it was so short but i enjoyed it very much & will definitely be reading more Dickens next year. My next read is going to be The Court of The Air Stephen Hunt.

Books read in November, to date.

The Hobbit - Tolkien ( a re-read)

A Catskill Eagle - Robert Parker

Kisscut - Karin Slaughter

The Cove - Ron Rash

Serena - Ron Rash..........curremtly reading

Edited by muggle not