Your Book Activity ~ November 2012

Kylie

Janet, I usually adore everything Dahl does, but I remember being a bit disappointed in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I wondered at the time if I was somehow influenced by the fact that my copy wasn't illustrated by Quentin Blake, but maybe it was the story after all.

Interestingly my version isn't illustrated by the wonderful Quentin Blake either, Kylie - it's illustrated by Faith Jaques. It's just not right! However it was definitely the story I didn't like - I thought it was stupid and a bit odd... and for some reason I can't put my finger on it gave me the creeps. :(

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Derren Brown! I wrote to him and he sent me a signed photo! :blush:

I've read both of Roald Dahl's 'Charlie' books over the last two days. I didn't much care for Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I haven't decided what to read next.

We saw Derren Brown live in 2010 - he is an incredible performer, and I have heard nothing but nice things from people who have been lucky enough to meet him.

I haven't read Charlie and the Glass Elevator, but my brother said it was very disappointing, especially after reading some of Dahl's other stuff, which he really liked.

I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain yesterday, and today I've started Out of Africa for my local reading group meeting next week.

I hope you liked The Art of Racing In the Rain as much as I did :)

Is Out of Africa the book that the Robert Redford film was based on? I love that film :)

Books ordered today with a gift card:

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Art of Hearing Heart Beats by Jan-Philipp Senker

They are early Christmas gifts to myself. :grinhat:

I haven't read Charlie and the Glass Elevator, but my brother said it was very disappointing, especially after reading some of Dahl's other stuff, which he really liked.

I've read 9 Dahls so far this year, and this was definitely my least favourite!

I hope you liked The Art of Racing In the Rain as much as I did :)

Is Out of Africa the book that the Robert Redford film was based on? I love that film :)

Unfortunately I didn't, Ruth. Thought it was too sentimental and a bit predictable.

It is the book the film was based on, but I'm finding it a struggle as it's very dated in it's language, and the colonial type of superiority is making me uncomfortable.

I stayed up late to finish Rivers Of London last night , i really enjoyed it & it's very different from what i normally read so thanks to everyone who recommended it. Luckily i have the next book in the series so i'm sure i'll be starting on that soon. Meanwhile i've gone back to Somerset Maugham & i've just started reading Catalina.

I'm glad you enjoyed RIvers of London. I really need to bump it up my TBR pile. I also bought Catalina recently, so I look forward to your thoughts.

Interestingly my version isn't illustrated by the wonderful Quentin Blake either, Kylie - it's illustrated by Faith Jaques. It's just not right! However it was definitely the story I didn't like - I thought it was stupid and a bit odd... and for some reason I can't put my finger on it gave me the creeps. :(

'Stupid and a bit odd' is right. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so! It's hard not to have extremely high expectations of Roald Dahl's books given that he's usually so aweome. :)

I received an early Christmas present from the lovely Poppyshake yesterday. It is The Cat Inside by William S Burroughs - a collection of his thoughts about kitties. :) I'm about halfway through it already.

Unfortunately I didn't, Ruth. Thought it was too sentimental and a bit predictable.

It is the book the film was based on, but I'm finding it a struggle as it's very dated in it's language, and the colonial type of superiority is making me uncomfortable.

Oh, that's a shame (about TAORITR), especially if it was a book you were looking forward to.

I loved the film Out of Africa, but haven't read the book (I didn't actually realise that it was based on a book). It doesn't happen often, but sometimes a film is more enjoyable than the book it was based on.

Edited by Ruth

Been struggling to settle to Out of Africa and decided I needed a kick start to my reading, so decided to try Seeking Crystal, the third in Joss Stirling's Benedict YA series. An easy but satifying read! Trying to figure out what to go for next now. :dunno:

Edited by chesilbeach

Oh my, I finally found time last night to finish Perfume :D

Now, do I start a series or keep going with novels? Hmm. Any advice?

Was at the local B&N today with my gift card, and picked up:

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Pevear and Volohonsky translation). I have the Constance Garnet translation, but I didn't like her version of Crime and Punishment.

The Magus by John Fowles. This one looks very intriguing.

The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair. I picked this one up on a whim. The cover is beautiful, and it seems to have fantasy elements and a secret garden, so it can't be that bad. :D

Edited by Pixie

Just finished 'Mockingjay' the final book of 'The Hunger Games Trilogy' by Suzanne Collins and I thought it was incredible. It's not often that I like all of the books in a series, but none of these books have disappointed me. I'm looking forward to re-reading this trilogy.

However now, I'm about to re-read 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein, as part of the forum's reading circle. I may be a bit late reading this, but better late than never!

Was at the local B&N today with my gift card, and picked up:

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Pevear and Volohonsky translation). I have the Constance Garnet translation, but I didn't like her version of Crime and Punishment.

The Magus by John Fowles. This one looks very intriguing.

The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair. I picked this one up on a whim. The cover is beautiful, and it seems to have fantasy elements and a secret garden, so it can't be that bad. :D

Great haul, Pixie! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Magus, it sounds like a really great read, I have it on my TBR pile but haven't just gotten around to reading it yet :)

Have started Lost Souls - Poppy Z Brite, I'm not sure whether I like it yet as I'm only a couple of chapters in.

I read this two years ago, it was pretty disturbing but I was still rather gripped by it. It's certainly not for everyone! :)

I've finished reading When God Was a Rabbit and started reading the third novel in the Selja-series by Rauha S. Virtanen.

I'm glad you enjoyed RIvers of London. I really need to bump it up my TBR pile. I also bought Catalina recently, so I look forward to your thoughts.

I loved Rivers of London but unfortunately i didn't think much of Catalina i'm afraid Kylie :( I never really got into the story & kept finding myself having to re read chunks as i wasn't concentrating on it but it's the first of his books that i haven't enjoyed so maybe it's just down to personal taste & hopefully you'll enjoy it more than me :smile:

I've just started a book called Red Lights & Green Lizards by Liz Anderson it's set in Cambodia which is where my nephew is now living so it has a special interest for me.

I started reading Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson yesterday, and I'm hooked! I'm very much looking forward to getting into it again today. I want to know what happens (and I seriously need to get some of my library loans read so I can get to my own new books!!)

I've just finished a gem of a book by Norman Collins (he of London Belongs to Me) called The Husband's Story. Well worth reading - his books are being republished by Bloomsbury.

I've now started on a little know Nevil Shute book called Pied Piper.

Reading Candide by Voltaire .. haha it's hilarious .. what a hoot, I wasn't expecting it. Also reading Living to Tell the Tale which is Gabriel Garcia Marquez's memoirs or the first part of them anyway (golly .. this is a 400 pager and still he hasn't finished :giggle2:) Re-reading A Christmas Carol, I'm a bit early this year in keeping with my get ahead plans. I'll be sitting down come Christmas all serene with everything done (yeah right! ;))

I've now started on a little know Nevil Shute book called Pied Piper.

I read that for the Reading Circle and thought it was great. Hope you enjoy it!

I started The Pedant In The Kitchen by Julian Barnes (recommended by poppyshake :smile2:) at lunchtime, and looks like I'll be finishing it this evening.

Reading Candide by Voltaire .. haha it's hilarious .. what a hoot, I wasn't expecting it.

When you've finished reading this, go to the Candide thread on here and post your thoughts, if you wish, we've had a few giggles in the thread :D

I'm about halfway through Before I Go To Sleep and I'm fully enjoying it.