Your Book Activity ~ October 2012

Kylie

I've grown rather tired of Johnny Depp, he's everywhere and I don't really think he's that talented (I know, a very unpopular opinion, but it's only mine, I don't mind other people liking him!), but he wasn't even the problem for me with the latest CatCF version. It was just a creepy movie! It wasn't warm hearted. It was nothing what I'd expected :(

It was a creepy film! I have just read 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' ages after many, many years and it bears only a little resemblance to the novel. ( Possible Spoilers!) I am pleased they put little details like the Chocolate castle and the squirrels though. Although that particular scene is rather disturbing!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just about to start "Hunter's Run" by George R R Martin, Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham. I don't read much Sci-fi so I'll see how I get on with it.

I gave up with this about half way through. I wasn't finding the story that exciting and I didn't like the main character.

I'm reading 'Cloud of Sparrows' by Takashi Matsuoka next. Again, another type of book I don't normally read (historical).

Edited by Pangolin

I recently reread a childhood favourite of mine, Del-Del by Victor Kelleher. Not a book I think many people have heard of, I stumbled on it in the library purely by chance when I was a kid. Maybe early teens. I loved it at the time, and it must be ten years since I read it, but it's every bit as unusual and good as I remember.

Currently I'm reading Catchman, which is another childhood favourite, and my favourite ever Point Horror Unleashed book :)

I recently also read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, and that was superb. I'd seen it recommended on here by Michelle I think, and I had to read it because it sounded somewhat up the same street as the likes of The Book Of Lost Things, that fantasy coping mechanism for a child with a lot to deal with. A Monster Calls is a superb book - I think I spoiled it a little bit for myself by reading it in one sitting, I always feel books have less substance when I do that, but it was excellent none the less. Highly, highly recommended.

Sounds bizarre indeed :D Actually, sounds difficult, too :o Oh boy, I wonder if I can make it.

You won't find it at all difficult because you haven't read Bleak House. I got fuddled because I was trying to match up the two. I've finished it now and had to give it 10/10 .. it kept me up reading half the night :D

I've come to the conclusion that it's better I not read BH first. It's one hefty novel and I want to get to T-A-A as soon as possible, and BH would set me back by a week at least. Also, I don't want to read 'the same story' twice over in succession, if you know what I mean.

Yes totally, though it is a completely different story to the point where I was quite shocked at what she did with some of my fave characters :D but then I realised .. they were the ones she'd slightly re-named (ahhh .. very clever). You'll be doing it in reverse .. you'll be expecting Bleak House to run along similar lines to Tom-All-Alone's and seeing where you can find the connections.

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't watch a lot of movies in the first place, and I'm one of those people who wants to read the book first :rolleyes: Makes for a lot of reading!

Very wise :) I always mean to do this but then give in if it's on TV or something.

I havent read anything in days :( I'm poorly and havent felt like reading at all :(

Given what you're last few months have been like, I'd be proud of being able focus on reading at all. Don't beat yourself up, it happens to everyone. :empathy:

I've been trying, emphasis on the "trying," to focus on one book at a time for more than a nanosecond. Have managed to get through a few novels in a fantasy series I've had for several years. Not sure if I've mentioned it before or not, but it's the Recluse Saga by L.E. Modesitt Jr. Still working on others I've started in the last couple of months, but hey, at least I'm finishing something. Pats self on back... ;)

Given what you're last few months have been like, I'd be proud of being able focus on reading at all. Don't beat yourself up, it happens to everyone. :empathy:

Thank you :empathy:Hopefully soon ill be able to pick a book up for more than a couple of pages at a time. I may have to re-read an old favourite or something!

Thank you :empathy:Hopefully soon ill be able to pick a book up for more than a couple of pages at a time. I may have to re-read an old favourite or something!

Favourites are always the best place to go! Kind of like comfort food. Salt, fats and sugar for the eyes. :smile:

Favourites are always the best place to go! Kind of like comfort food. Salt, fats and sugar for the eyes. :smile:

I was going to pick up Harry Potter earlier but ended up picking up my current read and read a bit of that in the end :) still might go back to Harry Potter later!

Finally finished The Slap, and well....I didn't like it as much as I thought I would...or was hoping to even. I think it's the kind of book that does better as a series...(in fact, I believe it was turned into one) The story is told from the point of view of eight different people.....and their opinions on what happened at a family event. I found myself liking the characters (especially the male ones) less and less, though I will admit I also wouldn't of minded reading a bit more of their past, and what made them act/think the way they did (maybe that's where the series comes in) not the best read, but not the worst.

It was difficult to actually like any of them I thought. I suppose I liked the Greek parents best of all.

The thing I enjoyed the most about The Slap was the explanations of the ins and outs of their families and heritages. The prejudices of all of them were fascinating to follow for me. It was rather up and down though, I agree.

I haven't read this, but I couldn't resist watching the series when it was shown here. I thought the show was really well done, but I hated all of the characters! Nothing likeable about them at all. Except maybe the vet woman - I can't remember her doing anything to make me hate her. :)

I'd love to see the series, but so far I haven't been able to find it in a U.S. dvd version.

You won't find it at all difficult because you haven't read Bleak House. I got fuddled because I was trying to match up the two. I've finished it now and had to give it 10/10 .. it kept me up reading half the night

10/10, wow! :lol: I hope you are right and it'll only be easy enough for me and enjoyable. I think I shall like it very much :)

Yes totally, though it is a completely different story to the point where I was quite shocked at what she did with some of my fave characters... but then I realised .. they were the ones she'd slightly re-named (ahhh .. very clever). You'll be doing it in reverse .. you'll be expecting Bleak House to run along similar lines to Tom-All-Alone's and seeing where you can find the connections.

Haha, how did she know who are your favorite characters?! Very clever indeed :lol: I hope I won't have problems with Bleak House then, when I've read this book and start comparing them two when reading BH! :rolleyes::giggle:

Very wise. I always mean to do this but then give in if it's on TV or something.

You need more self-discipline! :giggle:

I havent read anything in days. I'm poorly and havent felt like reading at all

I'm sorry you've been feeling poorly, are you any better by now? :empathy:

I'm about 150 pages into Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill.

This is on my wishlist, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it :)

I picked up Jonathan Franzen's Discomfort Zone and I'm completely sucked into the story :o I'm hoping to get to read a chunk of it later tonight, maybe even finish it.

Splurged out on a few paperback's from amazon this evening, should keep me busy through the early winter.

"The House of the Mosque"

Kader Abdolah

"Born Under a Million Shadows"

Andrea Busfield

"Sepulchre"

Kate Mosse

"The Sleeping Buddha"

Hamida Ghafour

"The Bookseller Of Kabul"

Åsne Seierstad

"The Book Thief"

Markus Zusak

"A Thousand Splendid Suns"

Khaled Hosseini

Read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke and In the Tall Grass by Stephen King and Joe Hill, both were very good and I will post proper reviews soon. Still working my way through Elantris, i'm enjoying it but it is a bit slow paced at the moment.

"Born Under a Million Shadows"

Andrea Busfield

"The Book Thief"

Markus Zusak

Khaled Hosseini

3 fabulous books, Born Under a Million Shadows was easily as good, for me, as The Kite Runner, you're very lucky to have these ahead of you! :)

Splurged out on a few paperback's from amazon this evening, should keep me busy through the early winter.

"The Bookseller Of Kabul"

Åsne Seierstad

"The Book Thief"

Markus Zusak

Khaled Hosseini

three of my faves....all excellent (IMO) :D