Book News!

Raven

(from the above linked article)

Fans are already eagerly awaiting a third instalment in her Cromwell series, but Mantel has warned it could take decades to write.

Crikey.  Hope she doesn't end up doing like Norman Mailer.....he was going to write a sequel to Harlot's Ghost, and kept putting it off and finally died before he wrote it.  He said that was one of the few regrets he had. 

And then there is Robert Harris.......for years he has put off writing the third in his Cicero trilogy.  Dratted man!!!!!!

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, first, what is (fnar)?  :)

Secondly, in a way, it's a good thing because it means that people are not embarrassed to borrow a book of erotica. 

OTOH, there is the "ewwwwwww" factor of one not wishing to borrow a book that some has read, and well.......one wonders what they might be doing whilst reading...........hence the "EWWWWWWWWW" factor. 

:blush2:  :blush2: :blush2:  Oy. 

Secondly, in a way, it's a good thing because it means that people are not embarrassed to borrow a book of erotica. 

OTOH, there is the "ewwwwwww" factor of one not wishing to borrow a book that some has read, and well.......one wonders what they might be doing whilst reading...........hence the "EWWWWWWWWW" factor. 

:giggle2:  Gross but funny :giggle2:

Exactly what I was thinking...although you wouldn't catch me paying for erotica either...

Exactly what I was thinking...although you wouldn't catch me paying for erotica either...

I think it depends.  There is erotica and then there is erotica.  If an interesting story can be worked in with it, that makes it more interesting.  A book that is simply for the sake of titillation is not the path I'd take. 

I think it depends.  There is erotica and then there is erotica.  If an interesting story can be worked in with it, that makes it more interesting.  A book that is simply for the sake of titillation is not the path I'd take. 

even with a story you can find plenty free on the internet...

• 2 weeks later...

Cool! Thanks for the info, Chesil. I read And Then There Were None recently and then watched a 1940s movie adaptation (quite good, except for the completely changed ending!) I have Mapp and Lucia on my TBR pile, so I'd better hurry up and read that one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article.  I tend to feel that stats can be manipulated in a variety of ways. 

"More than half of adults (56%) said they think the internet and computers will replace books in the next 20 years, with nearly two-thirds (64%) of 18- to 30-year-olds stating this view."

Above quote from the article makes me very happy for the library we've collected!  heh :D

Interesting article.  I tend to feel that stats can be manipulated in a variety of ways. 

I totally agree. I actually thought some of those stats weren't as bad as the journalist was making them sound.

Then again, maybe I'm just naturally pessimistic so I was expecting worse.  :shrug:

I totally agree. I actually thought some of those stats weren't as bad as the journalist was making them sound.

Then again, maybe I'm just naturally pessimistic so I was expecting worse.  :shrug:

Hah, my Mother always said, "expect the worst, and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised...".  Hafta say, I like that.