The Other Poppy's Books 2012

poppy

What a shame. I'd heard about the suit, but not that many details. It's hard to believe that the author would be so callous about the maid's feelings. As mentioned in the article, she certainly knew it would upset the woman. Lazy, unfeeling author it seems to me. Makes me glad I bought the book at a Library Sale, no profit to the author. :D

It's quite strange that there she is writing a book about real people with changed names and details and she is doing exactly the same thing herself! You'd think she would have tried to be far less obvious. But I found Abileen a very lovable character, I don't think she depicted her at all unsympathetically.

The film version of The Help was really good - I thought it was a good adaptation. :)

Good to hear Janet :smile:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What whetted my interest about this book was a comment by his stepson, that Lewis considered pride to be the greatest sin. Not the natural pride we feel in doing something well, but the sort of pride that makes us think we are better than others.

This is an excerpt that I found very thought provoking

http://www.btinterne...nn/greatsin.htm

That's a great (and sobering) excerpt. Thanks for sharing it.

It's quite strange that there she is writing a book about real people with changed names and details and she is doing exactly the same thing herself! You'd think she would have tried to be far less obvious. But I found Abileen a very lovable character, I don't think she depicted her at all unsympathetically.

How reliable is the article though? It says .. 'Like the fictional Aibileen, she lost her son to cancer several months before the birth of the Stocketts' first child.' .. but surely Aibileen lost her son in an accident at the mill? .. or am I misremembering?

I thought Aibileen was a great character and one of the strongest in the book .. I can't see how the depiction would cause humiliation to the tune of $75,000. If she had used a different name then I don't suppose the claim would hold much water.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Dodie: The Life of Dodie Smith by Valerie Grove

After reading I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, and seeing Poppyshake had read her biography, I decided to read this as well. I love biographies, so I'm probably a bit biased, but found this easy to read and quite interesting. Authors are always interesting to read about, but I find they are never quite what I expect. I was surprised to hear she was a prolific playwright as well as being an author.

I've started reading The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve, I'm about 50 pages in. I have no problem with her writing and in a different frame of mind I'd probably keep going. But her characters are those intelligent, deeply sensitive type people with tragic pasts and I'm just not in the mood for it. It all gets a bit depressing. I think I need something light and fluffy, maybe a Janet Evanovich or a nice murder mystery :D

Edited by poppy

I've started reading The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve, I'm about 50 pages in. I have no problem with her writing and in a different frame of mind I'd probably keep going. But her characters are those intelligent, deeply sensitive type people with tragic pasts and I'm just not in the mood for it. It all gets a bit depressing. I think I need something light and fluffy, maybe a Janet Evanovich or a nice murder mystery :D

I know what you mean, poppy! I really like Anita Shreve's writing, but I went through a spell of a couple of months where I couldn't bear to read anything with emotions in it and just read crime novel after crime novel!

well don't bother with her last one!

That bad huh??

Well, I've got a grip and kept on reading The Last Time They Met. It's hooked me in now and I want to know what happens. Besides, it's about two poets ..... how can I resist?? :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly finished The Last Time They Met. Anita Shreve writes intelligently and sensitively but this book has a fair bit of angst and I'm a bit ditsy when another book comes along that catches my eye.

So I've got side-tracked into reading The Nutters Club: Helping Nutters From the Inside Out by Mike King with David Codrye.

This is written by a NZ comedian and based on a radio programme, where NZers who have a variety of mental health issues, discuss how they have found their way back into meaningful lives.

I've only read a few of the stories so far, but being a bit of a nutter myself, I can really relate to what's being said. The most valuable piece of advice I've found so far is that although counselling etc can be very beneficial, we need to trust our own instincts about what works for us, because everyone is different.

Nearly finished The Last Time They Met. Anita Shreve writes intelligently and sensitively but this book has a fair bit of angst and I'm a bit ditsy when another book comes along that catches my eye.

So I've got side-tracked into reading The Nutters Club: Helping Nutters From the Inside Out by Mike King with David Codrye.

This is written by a NZ comedian and based on a radio programme, where NZers who have a variety of mental health issues, discuss how they have found their way back into meaningful lives.

I've only read a few of the stories so far, but being a bit of a nutter myself, I can really relate to what's being said. The most valuable piece of advice I've found so far is that although counselling etc can be very beneficial, we need to trust our own instincts about what works for us, because everyone is different.

The only Shreve we've read is Wedding in December, and it was very good. And yes, her characters are both intelligent and sensetive with difficult backgrounds.

Charles read it first, and really enjoyed it, so I had to, of course. :D

Regarding your mention of trusting our own instincts...........Absolutely, right on!!

I suppose being a child of the '60's, I have to call it feeling the vibes. lol In my life, I've found that if I go with my first impressions, I'm ok. It's only when I second guess myself and rethink I get into trouble. Done that, been there. :eek: lol

Edited by pontalba

Poppy

I think I read the Sheve book you mentioned a really long time ago and remembered it being sad ..I liked her book The Weight of Water,which is based on a true crime which happend back in the 1800's on an island called Smuttynose . Very good book !

I'm glad you explained what NUTTERS is. I was wondering about that . It actually sounds like a pretty interesting book ! I think most all of us could be in the category ,couldn't we ? :)

Regarding your mention of trusting our own instincts...........Absolutely, right on!!

I suppose being a child of the '60's, I have to call it feeling the vibes. lol In my life, I've found that if I go with my first impressions, I'm ok. It's only when I second guess myself and rethink I get into trouble. Done that, been there. :eek: lol

I had an interesting experience one time when I discovered my instincts weren't wrong. I made an appointment with a chiropractor who came highly recommended by someone from the Arthritis Foundation. She had written a newspaper article praising his abilities and I even rang her to get her first-hand opinion. I found him a very strange, intense little man, who said I must stop taking all medication I was on (prescribed by a doctor and with instructions not to suddenly stop taking it). He wanted me to book six further appointments. I came home and although I was encouraged to give him more of a chance to help, I cancelled all the appointments, because he made me feel uneasy.

Several months later, I read in the paper that he had been charged with indecent advances to patients and had no formal qualifications whatsover.

I had great pleasure in saying 'See, I told you!!' :roll:

I've finished The Last Time They Met. I like Anita Shreve's writing very much and have another on my TBR pile now Fortune's Rock. I'll look for The Weight Of Water and Wedding In December, at the library for sometime later....thanks for the recommendations, Pontalba and Julia.

The ending of this book took me completely by surprise! Very clever.

This book's main character, Linda, has her life story told from three different ages ....when she is 52, 26 and 17. I wonder if anyone else who read this, felt that her character was quite different at each of these periods? I found it quite hard at the end to actually mesh her into one person. Given the ending though, it might have been written that way ....or it might just be me :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman and this book certainly didn't disappoint me. Coraline likes exploring and when she ventures through a locked door in her house she finds herself in a very frightening parallel world. Showing tremendous courage and very good problem solving skills she must rescue lost souls and find her way back home.

Quite a short story, but once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I haven't seen the animated movie, but imagine it would be quite scary . :icon_eek:

I've run into one "goofy" chiropractor, but fortunately, have a good one now.

I've not read Coraline, but know I'll get to it at some point, didn't know it was considered "creepy" though. I think the only thing I've read by him is Neverwhere. Loved it.

Too many books, too little time. grrrrr!

I enjoyed Coraline too but I did find it really scary especially for a children's book. Apparently my nephew read it and couldn't sleep so his mum has had to ban scary books / movies now.

You do have to be careful what young children read and watch, some are perfectly fine with quite scary things, others get totally traumatised. One of my sons watched The Ring as a teenager and now in his mid twenties still gets creeped out just thinking about it. :empathy:

I was quite shocked when the junior class at our local school were all taken to see a Harry Potter movie. It's not something I would allow my five year old to see.

One of my sons watched The Ring as a teenager and now in his mid twenties still gets creeped out just thinking about it.

I can relate to that, poppy.

I read The Shining when I was 15 and for almost 10 years it was impossible for me to be alone at night.

I've since then made friends with the dark - but I still avoid reading horror.

I hope your boy resolves it too - it's horrible feeling trapped by the monsters in your mind. :empathy:

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

This was a re-read as I wanted to read it again before the film comes out. I discovered I'd forgotten most of it so it was like reading a new book.

Bilbo Baggins is a delightful character, his pre-occupation with food and home comforts is most endearing, but in spite of this he shows great courage and common sense in the quest to regain treasure that has been stolen by the mighty dragon Smaug.

I enjoyed this immensely, and am really looking forward to the movie.

Next up is Love In a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford. I bought this for my Kindle for 99 cents! :smile:

The Hobbit is delicious, isn't it? (so much easier to re-read than The Lord of The Rings)

And how are you enjoying your Kindle, poppy?

(I haven't seen one, is it similar to reading PDFs on the computer?)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Bree, only just noticed your question. Yes, I'm loving my Kindle. I'm still getting used to the touch feature but it's wonderful (although SO tempting) to be able to get a book you want in under a minute.

This is what the text looks like (you can change the font size)

http://www.google.co...XdnYCIAg&zoom=1

I have just finished reading Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford. I think I've caught some kind of bug from Poppyshake (it's probably got something to do with the name similarity) but I think I'm going to go on a Mitford bender. I enjoyed this so much, it's not a serious book at all but Nancy has such a wicked sense of humour and her characters are delightfully eccentric. Set between the two World Wars, Nancy loosely based her books on her own family.

I was so disappointed when this finished, I wasn't watching the % count and I turned the page and it ended! So I immediately went and bought The Pursuit of Love by her. I would also like to read The Mitford Girls by Mary Lovell, which I have out from the library, but I don't think I will have time before it's due back. It's a fairly hefty tome, but they sound such a fascinating family.

I have just finished reading Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford. I think I've caught some kind of bug from Poppyshake (it's probably got something to do with the name similarity) but I think I'm going to go on a Mitford bender. I enjoyed this so much, it's not a serious book at all but Nancy has such a wicked sense of humour and her characters are delightfully eccentric. Set between the two World Wars, Nancy loosely based her books on her own family.

I was so disappointed when this finished, I wasn't watching the % count and I turned the page and it ended! So I immediately went and bought The Pursuit of Love by her. I would also like to read The Mitford Girls by Mary Lovell, which I have out from the library, but I don't think I will have time before it's due back. It's a fairly hefty tome, but they sound such a fascinating family.

Oh .. I'm so proud of you :friends0: .. I do think us poppy's have THE best taste :D I'm so glad you liked it, not everybody does. I hope you will love The Pursuit of Love just as much (I haven't read any others of Nancy's .. I must put that right) The Mitford Girls is brilliant too but quite involved .. can you renew? You must watch the drama (oh, I've just realised you might not be able to get it there :( and mine would be the wrong region for you :( oh bother!! .. anyway it is an amalgamation of the two stories .. linked together by Fanny as she is in both stories .. it worked marvellously actually and the cast is brilliant). They are a fascinating family and well worth reading about but once you start you'll be looking out for the letters and everything .. it's a one-way Mitford money pit :D